PDA

View Full Version : Engine transplant

Rob!
17-05-2011, 12:42
First post!

Hey everyone,

The engine in my phase 2 has blown a head gasket and has no compression. Basically i need another engine. My budget is not big but i wish to get another engine so i have a spare.
Im finding it difficult to find another 5 gt lump, so what else could i fit in???????
I've heard some Volvo (turbo) engines fit, but which ones?
Do other Renault turbo engines fit????? 21???? 11????

Please help,:confused:

Rob!

Thundercat
17-05-2011, 12:48
pm sent rob

markey b
17-05-2011, 13:03
Haynes £15
RTOC membership £25
Head gasket £20
Piston Rings £60

job done

phase i 16 v turbo
17-05-2011, 13:08
Got about 10 R5 Gt Turbo engines in the unit at the mo.

djinuk
17-05-2011, 13:39
just fix the headgasket.. it wont have compression with a blown headgasket.. if the job takes you over 2 hours your doing somthing wrong.

BriC
17-05-2011, 13:55
What Markey B and Djinuk say.. really easy job.. just get it done!

Rob!
17-05-2011, 16:00
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

ok cheers, will let you kno if i need any more help.

Rob!
17-05-2011, 16:07

Sorry just 1 more thing, a bloke said to me that i need to skim the block by a certain measurement to cut down the risk of further head gasket blows!!!!! Is this true and if so by how much????

James5
17-05-2011, 16:16

Sorry just 1 more thing, a bloke said to me that i need to skim the block by a certain measurement to cut down the risk of further head gasket blows!!!!! Is this true and if so by how much????

Why did the h/g go in the first place??

Skimming the block will increase the compression ratio only needs to be done if the block top is warped and needs flattening and then you would need to do the liners to match and you would want to skim the pistons tops flat to compenasate for the compression change.

Why did he say block needs skimming? have tjhey tested it for flatness?

if these people have not tested for flatness I would ignore your best of just trying this by yourself matey it's not hard and plenty of advice on hear may take you best part of the day to do it on your own for your first time but that's fine just take your time doing it.

Check the head is flat would be my first move, i would also be looking at the knackered gasket for causes as to the failure, also look at the liner walls for any cracks etc.., dump the oil, get a new oil filter, new headgasket, if head and block is flat and all looking good i would be bolting it back together with new h/g and new bolts.

James5
17-05-2011, 16:18
Why did the h/g go in the first place??

Skimming the block will increase the compression ratio only needs to be done if the block top is warped and needs flattening and then you would need to do the liners to match and you would want to skim the pistons tops flat to compenasate for the compression change.

Why did he say block needs skimming? have tjhey tested it for flatness?

Feck me sounds like cock, prob best of just trying this by yourself matey it's not hard and plenty of advice on hear.

Check the head is flat would be my first move, i would also be looking at the knackered gasket for causes as to the failure, also look at the liner walls for any cracks etc..

Just seen your located in Ipswich, If i was you drop your area rep a pm I m aure he will come out and either do it for you for some beer money of assist you in you doing it yourself and if things need machine shop work he can advise were to go.

think your area Rep is OS8472 or you could try markey b both up your neck of the woods.:cooter:

Rob!
17-05-2011, 16:20

He said it was due to a design fault where the block and liners do not match up properly on standard engines. hmmmm. so do i get an uprated head gasket and just go for it?

James5
17-05-2011, 16:25

He said it was due to a design fault where the block and liners do not match up properly on standard engines. hmmmm. so do i get an uprated head gasket and just go for it?

:laugh: Sounds like a cock don't take your car there, the liners on some engines do protude a tad but they are not the cause of head gasket failure.

Headgasket failure is normal down to bad fueling for the boost level being run

James5
17-05-2011, 16:28
Go for it yourself matey. As said contact your local area rep they may do it for you they have plenty of experience done it many times themselves :laugh:

markey b
drop me a pm mate i'm 30mins away and have a lill workshop tucked away :)

Rob!

Got ya, cheers!!!

James5
17-05-2011, 16:29
drop me a pm mate i'm 30mins away and have a lill workshop tucked away :)

:agree:RTOC love

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-05-2011, 16:30
Just seen your located in Ipswich, If i was you drop your area rep a pm I m aure he will come out and either do it for you for some beer money of assist you in you doing it yourself and if things need machine shop work he can advise were to go.

think your area Rep is OS8472 or you could try markey b both up your neck of the woods.:cooter:

ipswich (OS8472) has done enough head gaskets in his life, I am sure he will happily do it for you within a few hours...

Chuck him a few £, for that (most likely save you £1k+ the garage is trying to get out of you)

Nothing wrong with the C1J design... if anything is serious Ipswich will happily tell you what needs doing...

EDIT: Just seen Markey B has offereed to help :agree:, have left my thread up and OS hates being called Ipswich ;)

djinuk
17-05-2011, 16:36
you will be amazed at just how simple these little engines are.

I personally think it would be an idea for a decent guide with pics of headgaskets..

Think about it as adding value to rtoc membership and maybe luring more people into the club.

James5
17-05-2011, 16:38
you will be amazed at just how simple these little engines are.

I personally think it would be an idea for a decent guide with pics of headgaskets..

Think about it as adding value to rtoc membership and maybe luring more people into the club.

:laugh: basic guide here plenty of typo's need editing really but it pretty much tells you what to do

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/miscellaneous%20Technical%20Files/How_to_remove_and_refit_the_GTT_headgasket.pdf

markey b
17-05-2011, 16:48
ipswich (OS8472) has done enough head gaskets in his life, I am sure he will happily do it for you within a few hours...

Chuck him a few £, for that (most likely save you £1k+ the garage is trying to get out of you)

Nothing wrong with the C1J design... if anything is serious Ipswich will happily tell you what needs doing...

EDIT: Just seen Markey B has offereed to help :agree:, have left my thread up and OS hates being called Ipswich ;)

oli has done more full rebuilds than me....... chocolate shells i recon :cool:

i used to do his clutches and headgaskets but he has broken his so many times he is now an expert! lol

Rob!
17-05-2011, 20:36

Thankyou all for your help.

I'll give it a go myself, but if i get stuck i'll be back!!!!!:smokin:

Rob!

car.crash
17-05-2011, 20:37
they swap head gaskets on a weekly basis over your way :p

bigdur
17-05-2011, 21:14
Do I have a local rep near Malvern?

James5
17-05-2011, 21:38

Were the **** is Malvern :laugh:

Only joking matey, not sure whom you area rep is but you have a few good members over your way whom now there stuff, you have Spooky in swindon just don't let him near your suspension:laugh:, Adey I think is gloucester way, sparkie I think is Birmingham somewhere.

bigdur
17-05-2011, 21:49
Malvern is famous, Morgan sports cars and it's where Coca-cola stole their spring water from. :wasntme:

Lomo
17-05-2011, 22:05

Here you go fella, have a look in here and send the relevant area rep a PM :)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=10872

bigdur
17-05-2011, 22:20
Great link thanks. :agree:

markey b
19-05-2011, 11:15
they swap head gaskets on a weekly basis over your way :p

weekly..... try monthly, or everytime i use the car :laugh: