PDA

View Full Version : Yet another F7p Turbo conversion

James5
16-05-2011, 15:45
Renault 5 F7P Turbo conversion.
Yes it’s me with yet another engine conversion :laugh:.
As all 5 GTT's started life with the little 1397cc C1J engine, over the years this developed into an MSM High Comp built C1J lump with a Turbo Development's VNT. I soon got bored and decided to do an N/A 172 phase 1 conversion so that was completed and fully road legal (another project thread) but I wasn’t keen on the conversion in N/A form so 200miles or so later I pulled the engine out and went back to another C1J which again developed into pretty much the same spec as the old MSM engine and again with Turbo Development's VNT turbo. Now I have started another conversion this time being another Renault engine utilising the F7p lump out of a Clio 1.8 16v but this time I am going turbo from the of which was my mistake for not doing it with the F4r engine but we all learn from our mistakes (I hope:ashamed:). This is Turbo Ted's and 5tevel's fault for convincing me to go down this route, after seeing Robbie's 5 at the localish Surrey meet one eve I was very impressed, and talking to Steve and seeing his progress with his this got me hooked and I finally bit the bullet and pulled the C1J out whilst she was working at her best:agree::D
So this thread is pretty much an update on my project as I go along no doubt with the usual conversion problem's (pictures will be added as I go along :D).
To date I have pretty much stripped my engine bay and am in the process of posting out all the sold parts to peeps (apologise for any delays:ashamed: they are on there way please bear with me). With regards to changes on the 5 so far I have relocated the battery to driver side scuttle area and placed the oversized green cotton air filter into the passenger side scuttle area as this will be it’s new location (need to think about a way to get a nice cold feed of air to the filter:scratch:) also the Clio ignition coil and possibly header tank will be located in this side scuttle area aswell.
Present position as of the 16/05/2011 – As above removed clear fog lights and relocated my radtec 13 row external oil cooler to behind drivers side fog light, relocated battery to drivers side scuttle, air filter now located passenger side scuttle area and header tank (back to OE positon). C1J lump is ready to come out with gearbox attached pending me picking up new engine on the 18/05/2011 plan to strip sump of the new engine and make sure shells are all good if looks fine do a cambelt change so I know it's been done then drop it in on the 19/05/2011.

James5
16-05-2011, 15:53
I will update with specs of engine once confirmed as you never know the truth until it's apart, so will confirm shortly.:D

James5
16-05-2011, 17:25
Hmm think I may have screwed myself over now on the length of time to do this just realised only got 2/12" wks to do this in, not got time of from work, 4 kids a pregnant Mrs's:wasntme::laugh:, and obviously the time it takes for packages to turn up once ordered:laugh: Ohwell lets see how it goes:laugh::coffee:

Bigfoot
16-05-2011, 17:40
Plus collection of the item as well, when you looking at popping up here?

James5
16-05-2011, 17:44
Plus collection of the item as well, when you looking at popping up here?

This wednesday matey, leaving work early so going straight up from Horsham @ 3:30 to try and M25 traffic around dartford tunnel way home shouldn;t be to bad as will traffic should have gone by that time. Meeting Johnson18 on route for special delivery service:laugh: (got the ole post man pat tune in my head now) to drop of intercooler bits and then going over to get engine and all bits straight after.

markey b
16-05-2011, 18:02
nice place for oil cooler :agree:

put mine there too

when are u gonna keep the same engine for longer than the running in period :laugh:

James5
16-05-2011, 21:13
nice place for oil cooler :agree:

put mine there too

when are u gonna keep the same engine for longer than the running in period :laugh:

:laugh:Yours looks much better than mine as you have the nice carbon fibre bit around it:D

:ashamed:Whilst the C1J is running very very well and I fancy a project best time to move on:D it's Steve and turbo ted's fault seeing there's made me want to do it:wasntme:

elcie
16-05-2011, 23:52
Best of luck James :agree:

Gttnutter
17-05-2011, 01:17
James James James....:cartman:

Best of luck getting it done in time, remember you've got steve mark and robbie who you'll be able to pick the brains of :agree:

Os8472
17-05-2011, 05:25
Dude I started mine to weeks ago and its all in the bay but I'm still not confident it'll make Mallory, you've left it bloody late fella

TNT ANDY
17-05-2011, 06:42
This wednesday matey, leaving work early so going straight up from Horsham @ 3:30 to try and M25 traffic around dartford tunnel way home shouldn;t be to bad as will traffic should have gone by that time. Meeting Johnson18 on route for special delivery service:laugh: (got the ole post man pat tune in my head now) to drop of intercooler bits and then going over to get engine and all bits straight after.

Top respect for you James - be organised (with 4 kids you've gotto be) and you'll get it done no worries.
Looking forward to seeing some FP / FR action on track.

DaveMayGTT
17-05-2011, 09:14
If anyone can m8 I imagine it would be you. Get cracking :)

James5
19-05-2011, 10:26
Things are starting to come together I finally have my F7P engine many thanks to Dale aka the Bigfoot for finding it:agree:.

Bigfoot
19-05-2011, 10:32
There is a GTX being broken on eBay, might be worth asking for the mount, but at the cost of what they want for the engine they will more than likely want about £100 just for the mount.

No worries with finding the engine, loved doing a bit of investigating trying to track it down :D

Gttnutter
19-05-2011, 12:12
Things are starting to come together I finally have my F7P engine many thanks to Dale aka the Bigfoot for finding it:agree:.

James, this f7P Dale got wind of for you, is it already turbo'd ? Ifso what's the spec or are you keeping that under the hat for the minute?

Bigfoot
19-05-2011, 12:15
James, this f7P Dale got wind of for you, is it already turbo'd ? Ifso what's the spec or are you keeping that under the hat for the minute?

Its already turbo'd he did post up the spec but for some reason then removed it hence the post edit.

James5
19-05-2011, 12:32

Its already turbo'd he did post up the spec but for some reason then removed it hence the post edit.

Yeah the lump is already turbo'd :D and it does have some goodies within:agree: I only edited thinking I should really add some pics whilst sump of.

It's a good spec to start with:D and hopefully go standalone in the future and change a few bits as go along:agree:

Gttnutter
19-05-2011, 13:29
Nice James :) let's just hope at the end of the road your :cool: otherwise you'll be trying to source yet another msm spec!

5teve L
19-05-2011, 15:03
Dibs on the engine if you do sell it :cooter::wasntme:

James5
20-05-2011, 16:15
Well actually made some progress on the 5 to day, C1J out and F7p lump about to go in this evening:D need to finish doing the heatshield before I put it in, Clio accelerator cable is in place.

Need to add I need a TDC sensor for the f7r as not got one:crap:

James5
20-05-2011, 20:19
It's in, still alot of work to do

Os8472
20-05-2011, 20:52
It's in, still alot of work to do

Trust me, that's the easy bit done, now the difficult task of getting everything else to fit begins

James5
21-05-2011, 16:54
Well progress today has been really slow Mrs's moaned that I spent my day off yesterday playing with the car so today I have been doing things with the kids. I managed to sneak a few mins in here and there and all I managed to do is fit the mocal sandwich plate & new oil filter, drivers side driveshaft is back in place andtorqued up, and I have removed the cam cover and given it clean and a coat of paint nothing special but just to brigten and clean it up a bit needs some laquer still to do but it looks ok to me:D

rs250nut
22-05-2011, 10:29
Wow this car has had more engines in it than a whore has had ..................... At one point I nearly brought this car and wish I had, maybe I would still have a gtt now. Good job though James getting it done:agree:

James5
22-05-2011, 10:46
Wow this car has had more engines in it than a whore has had ..................... At one point I nearly brought this car and wish I had, maybe I would still have a gtt now. Good job though James getting it done:agree:

:laugh: Hopefully this will be the final engine for the ole girl :dearme::wasntme::scared::ashamed:.

Hopefully won't be long and she will be running:agree: Not going for pretty look at the moment just want it working and to get to national day this year then when back will spend the time cleaning things up properly, more important to have it running at the mo.

elcie
22-05-2011, 13:03
Can't believe how quick you have done this,

Like the carbon rap scuttle. any more pictures ?

James5
22-05-2011, 13:13
Can't believe how quick you have done this,

Like the carbon rap scuttle. any more pictures ?

Short deadline, if the Mrs's would let me out to play more I would have more than likely got about 90 % done and just be waiting parts to turn up:D

Yeah I had the complete roof and windscreen surround vinyl wrapped a few weeks back now by fellow member on here Keith aka JIB and his brother at Sharp Signs in sidcup :agree::D it was either that or get it sprayed so opted for the wrap this time

philr5t
22-05-2011, 13:27
Come on jimbo pull your finger out only joking mate I know what you mean about the missus on your back im in the same boat good work though mate

5teve L
22-05-2011, 17:25
James is an engine whore.. either that or he needs the tinkering time to get away from the missus so he has no more kids :D It's not working though is it matey :cooter:

philg
22-05-2011, 19:39
Good stuff james, whats the plans for this is the turboing easy and what sort of power can you run?

keep the pictures coming :)

Os8472
22-05-2011, 20:35
With a t28 off a 200sx I'd say 270bhp is about right

5teve L
22-05-2011, 21:12
With a t28 off a 200sx I'd say 270bhp is about right
I hope so but I think 240-250 is more likely for the 200sx unit on the F7P, I think Coops is making 270 with a 28RS.
Like I say, if they make more than that it's a bonus :D

Os8472
22-05-2011, 21:16
I hope so but I think 240-250 is more likely for the 200sx unit on the F7P, I think Coops is making 270 with a 28RS.
Like I say, if they make more than that it's a bonus :D

The GT28RS should make 320bhp on a F7P, I think the only reason Coops doesn't is the he's using a chipped ecu, if it was on standalone it should do it no problem.

What ECU you gunna use James5?

5teve L
22-05-2011, 21:28
The GT28RS should make 320bhp on a F7P, I think the only reason Coops doesn't is the he's using a chipped ecu, if it was on standalone it should do it no problem.

Fast chips, the same as coops IIRC

James5
22-05-2011, 23:04
Well had some very good progress tonight :D

Things left to do

Brake servo one way valve
Sidey mark up and remove for cut and weld,
Rear engine mount 17mm bolt tighten,
Volvo alternator top and lower bracket,
Engine coolant
Charge cooler coolant,
Mount charge cooler pre rad,
Install charge cooler coolant pipes,
Mount charge cooler pump,
Wire up charge cooler pump,
Install Clio loom,
Wire Clio loom into the 5 GTT loom,
Put boost pipes back on,
Tighten up cam cover with M6 x 26mm bolts,
Fit Walbro 255 fuel pump,
Fit 10mm id fuel line from sender to fuel pump,
Fit 8mm id fuel line for front of car for adjustable regulator,
Mount malpassi adjustable regulator and fit fuel line + vacuum line,
Locate chipped ECU
Drill 63mm hole for air filter,
Install Clio ignition coil and secure,
Install header tank OE bracket new location,
Charge battery,
See if can get engine to crank on starter,

If still waiting for parts and done some more parts I may remove bits and start to clean them and paint them up

James5
22-05-2011, 23:05
Fast chips, the same as coops IIRC

:agree:Fastchips for now and when the funds allow I will look for a standalone system :D

elcie
23-05-2011, 00:15

what injectors do you think you would need to get to that ?

Os8472
23-05-2011, 06:38
what injectors do you think you would need to get to that ?

If you do the math at 3bar 440cc jobs will cover 290bhp, so a set of 480cc jobs will be more than enough

Os8472
23-05-2011, 08:02
If you do the math at 3bar 440cc jobs will cover 290bhp, so a set of 480cc jobs will be more than enough

My bad 480cc will cover 307bhp at 80% duty, 500cc will do 320bhp at 80% duty and 550cc will do 352bhp at 80% duty

elcie
23-05-2011, 14:13
Awesome, and what formula do you use to work that out ?

Os8472
24-05-2011, 11:00
Awesome, and what formula do you use to work that out ?

Injector size x 4 / 5 x 0.8

That'll give you the bhp a set of injectors are capable of fueling for at 80% duty cycle

SCHWARTZ
24-05-2011, 19:24
james looking matey well on your way to nat day:agree::D

James5
24-05-2011, 20:34
james looking matey well on your way to nat day:agree::D

I don't ****ing think so anymore fecking seized piston rings to bore's it's coming apart tomorrow night, can't be arsed to play with it tonight now as I am moody:mad:

5teve L
24-05-2011, 20:38
I don't ****ing think so anymore fecking seized piston rings to bore's it's coming apart tomorrow night, can't be arsed to play with it tonight now as I am moody:mad:
Really, moody :disagree:
Are you sure it's not something else ?

James5
24-05-2011, 20:55
Really, moody :disagree:
Are you sure it's not something else ?

:laugh: Could be the fact my left bollock hurts:D

Scoff
24-05-2011, 22:27
Injector size x 4 / 5 x 0.8

That'll give you the bhp a set of injectors are capable of fueling for at 80% duty cycle

What rail pressure are you asuming for that oli ? It looks a bit optimistic for 3 bar.

DaveMayGTT
25-05-2011, 09:01
Gutted for you james, thats the last thing you need when trying to get all of it done in 2 weeks! Still it will be even better when you manage to still get it done for N.D
Best of luck tonight m8.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
25-05-2011, 09:18
James, do u still need bits? I have a gen Renault head gasket, sump bolts and pistons.....
Matt.

James5
25-05-2011, 09:21
Gutted for you james, thats the last thing you need when trying to get all of it done in 2 weeks! Still it will be even better when you manage to still get it done for N.D
Best of luck tonight m8.

Last night I was in a proper Strop for not testing the basic's before I put it in :ashamed:, think the rush of doing it before ND11 and running it before made me forget. But I have now calmed down and the plan is still to make national day if funds allo and Mrs's allow me access to more money :ashamed::scared::dearme: as I have done so well on the project so far and all pipe runs have been made up already and fitted the only thing left before this occured was fuel pump, fuel lines and splice clio loom to the gtt loom which I had started to do the other eve. Tonight's plan is to pull head of engine to see the damage, obviously new rings will defo be needed I am hoping the bore's will be ok with a hone

5teve L
25-05-2011, 10:06
Last night I was in a proper Strop for not testing the basic's before I put it in :ashamed:, think the rush of doing it before ND11 and running it before made me forget. But I have now calmed down and the plan is still to make national day if funds allo and Mrs's allow me access to more money :ashamed::scared::dearme: as I have done so well on the project so far and all pipe runs have been made up already and fitted the only thing left before this occured was fuel pump, fuel lines and splice clio loom to the gtt loom which I had started to do the other eve. Tonight's plan is to pull head of engine to see the damage, obviously new rings will defo be needed I am hoping the bore's will be ok with a hone

Be interesting what you find once the head is off.
As you have forged pistons if you need rings you will need to get onto Wossner I assume :crap:
Did you check the caps 1st ?
& am assuming the cambelt hasn't slipped :crap::crap:

Brigsy
25-05-2011, 11:36
That is a shame mate :( I know strip down and rebuild is best, but might be worth lashing some diesel down the bores to see if you can free it up? i have done this with a c1j years ago, worked a treat!

James5
25-05-2011, 11:40
That is a shame mate :( I know strip down and rebuild is best, but might be worth lashing some diesel down the bores to see if you can free it up? i have done this with a c1j years ago, worked a treat!

:laugh: Already tried that Brigsy, done the brake fluid, diesel and Coca cola left for a few hours with cola, with brake fluid left for 24hours and did not budge at all. I even tried rolling the car after all this and slamming into gear to see if it would free it up :sad2: no success, I will try some diesel again as i still have some left in the jerry can. My only option is to rebuild from what I can see now:crap: which is not what i want to do this close to ND.

Now contemplating is this the time to stick a bigger valved williams head on?

James5
25-05-2011, 18:51
Well after a **** few days with finding the engine seized / locked. Come home this eve to find fuel pump has arrived from the USA :D

5teve L
25-05-2011, 19:29
I've just seen you've been running it down the road slamming it in gear :crap: I hope it's not the belt slipped then or you will be replacing valves or head :crap:

James5
25-05-2011, 22:00
I've just seen you've been running it down the road slamming it in gear :crap: I hope it's not the belt slipped then or you will be replacing valves or head :crap:

Well wasn't getting anywere so cambelt came off tried to turn engine on crank pulley still no joy could move cams quiet easily so looking good there, took the head off and number 3 had what looked like 1" of grit in it :scratch: anyway cleaned it all up and took a wooden block in number 2&3 and smacked it with the mallet a few times and feck me had movement done it a few more times and now unsiezed, gave all a good clean up and checked the bores all looks good no rusty marks:agree: moved the crank a few times to make sure all moving nice and freely and now all perfect, have now got engine left @ TDC with crank marking's lined up with marking on side of block and flywheel lines up with 0 on gearbox housing :agree: All looking good, just awaiting new headgasket bits to turn up now.

Looks like things are going back in the right direction now, :D

philr5t
25-05-2011, 23:57
Great news mate gets the bits and crack on for the Surrey meet then national day

Bigfoot
26-05-2011, 07:10
Great news that its free now, shame the head had to come off, you getting a standard gasket for it?

5teve L
26-05-2011, 08:34
As per PM, I'd be worried WTF the grit was doing in there in the 1st place, let alone whats left behind you can't see :scared:

r5 rich
26-05-2011, 09:28
i can`t believe how many f7p/r turbos have suddenly turned up. I can see this turning into a war of thr bhp battle:wasntme:

James5
26-05-2011, 21:35
Well a few more things done this eve:D

New fuel lines from end of metal ones to go to fuel rail return and supply now done, started on the wiring aswell tonight R5 engine loom is now gone, still a couple of wires from the clio loom to wire up and I need to extend the live and earth leads to the battery for the clio loom also.

philr5t
26-05-2011, 22:12
So how long till you can start it mate

James5
26-05-2011, 22:18
So how long till you can start it mate

Really waiting the h/g set to turn up, if it doesn't turn up tomoz I will fit the walbro and sort the exhaust out then that is everything under the car done. I should be able to start it on the wiring I have done so far :D

SCHWARTZ
26-05-2011, 22:22
top work matey cant believe how quick this has all happened:eek: roll on nat day:D

James5
28-05-2011, 10:56
Engine back together and timing belt on, alternator now in place with brackets and also aux belt in place also.

Will do some more again tonight:D

jesus in the seat of a 5
28-05-2011, 12:01
james, glad to hear its now freed` up, crikey , i wish i had the time....:eek: to do half as much my end and i only have one daughter...:laugh:, good going bud, you dont hang around, she be a corker when up and running!!!!:)

markey b
28-05-2011, 12:56
impressive stuff, but have you started planning the next engine change yet :laugh:

i'm amazed how fast u work, i thought i burnt alot of midnight oil but u'r crazy! lol

be good to see it next weekend :agree:

James5
28-05-2011, 23:13
impressive stuff, but have you started planning the next engine change yet :laugh:

i'm amazed how fast u work, i thought i burnt alot of midnight oil but u'r crazy! lol

be good to see it next weekend :agree:

:laugh:Cheeky, don't know what your talking about think you have me confused with someone else :laugh::wasntme:

Well another good eve on the 5 got turbo bolted up, downpipe on, marked sidey for cuting down, installed 95% of the under bonnet pipework :D. Got rad fitted in and plumbed up, had to cut slam panel :crap: kind of tidied up the wiring for now with relays mounted on strut turret but just want to make sure it runs, need to wire fuel pump in.

Tomorrow will be a case of sorting sidey out and putting new fuel pump on then I can drop the car back down on the ground and won't look like so much of an eye saw for my neighbours.

James5
29-05-2011, 22:46
Yet another really gooed eve on the 5 Installed external Walbro 255 fuel pump, new gtt fuel filter, sorted exhaust for downpipe fitment, mounted chargecooler pre rad, mounted chargecooler pump, 5 is now back on the floor on all 4 wheels :D

Went to see if she cranks on the key and she does but fuel pump doesn't kick in :scratch: had this with the f4r conversion ended up using a switch but might wire it into ignition this time. Have a few electrical gremlins 1 being alternator, I just can't bolt positve wire to either of the 2 connection's on the alternator without a fault the wire comes straight from the starter perm live feed:scratch: which then comes straight from battery.

Also rad fan comes on constant if I wire it up to a constant live feed as if fan switch stuck on or I have cross wired somewhere later will more than likely be the case

Any idea's on fuel pump?? I have taken the fuel pump live feed from the clio relay and gone straight to the gtt fuel pump relay connection and joined them together and thought this would work:scratch:

Still a few bits to sort out but I am about 90% done now:D not bad for a week turn around so far juggling 4 kids a pregnant Mrs's the job, also only doing it in the eve's and the unfortunate unforseen problem which put me back to step 1 but back on track now.

Also can anyone tell me how the coolant pipe run should go on a chargecooler:agree:

tom t
29-05-2011, 23:48
top work m8. fair play to ya for fitting time in for the car with all that lot going on lol

philr5t
30-05-2011, 01:14
You may need to prime the pump first mate I had to on mine as it would not send any fuel up before it was primed it's looking good mate and I can't wait to see it I'll call you tomorrow reference the charge cooler set up top work mate

Dave Reed
30-05-2011, 07:38
Re the fuel pump.. You need to check if you have 12v at the fuel pump, if you have check the earth. Failing this you've picked the wrong wire's on the old fuel pump feed :D also dont forget cars switch the earth not the live.

5teve L
30-05-2011, 09:42
You'll be finished before me at this rate !
I'm at the same stage as you are now, I'll be going over later to see if mine starts as it had a flat battery. I also need to do my water pipes though, they're on but not tightened in case I had to remove things again :scared:

James5
30-05-2011, 22:34
Well a slow night to night but thanks to 5teveL for coming over and having a look at my 5 and my messy wiring :ashamed::laugh:which appears to be ok he traced my lack of fuel pump priming down to 2 faulty relays one was for the rad fan and the other the fuel pump relay to which now both work as should :agree:

Still some more wires to do into the 5 cabin and hopefully then I will get some spark:scratch:

James5
31-05-2011, 11:39
Things left to do -

Engine coolant,
Install charge cooler coolant pipes,
Charge cooler coolant
Wire up charge cooler pump,
Wire last 3 clio loom wires into the 5 loom,
Drill 63mm hole for air filter through bulkhead (need bigger drill chuck),
See if i can get spark,
Start the project

James5
31-05-2011, 17:17
Well good news it started for a sec then died, went to start again but battery to weak so now on charge:(

Will start again later and see what happens with dash gauges, wiring a little messy will tidy up next week with decent plug connection and get rid if all the block connections I have temporarily used.

James5
01-06-2011, 08:33
Well good news it started for a sec then died, went to start again but battery to weak so now on charge:(

Will start again later and see what happens with dash gauges, wiring a little messy will tidy up next week with decent plug connection and get rid if all the block connections I have temporarily used.

Think I shot myself ion the foot yesterday by thinking the lack of starting was down to the battery. Well still not started and battery was fully charged I thought she died yesterday due to first start but it would appear that the injectors are not firing:scratch:, I have fuel to the rail:agree:, I have strong spark:agree:, I have engine cranking over on starter:agree: I just don't seem to be getting fuel into the bores and this would point to injectors to me:confused:, I removed sparkies to see if they were wet and see if the bores smelt of fuel and they didn't whilst I was at it I replaced the sparkies with the new ones to rule out knackered spark plugs.

Does anyone know how the injectors are activated on the F7p? are they activated by a relay which then sends signal to ECU??

Any ideas would be appreciated as time for me to get this running before nat day are getting slimmer.

List of things left to do

Drill 63mm hole for air filter through bulkhead - done temp air ducting for time being as drill chuck to small for hole saw:crap:,
Work out why injectors are not firing (could be a relay),
Sort small oil leak from rear of engine,
Start the project

Bigfoot
01-06-2011, 08:59
Remove the plugs which go onto the injectors, and get some wire straight from the battery. just tap on the pins and see if can get it firing, had to free up two injectors this way once.

Or as somebody else said get some noids (sp?) and test the plugs that way.

Robclio98
01-06-2011, 12:28
Awesome matey! hats off to you,

Re fuel pump issue i have the same problem! i checked everything and just had the relays on a bench test and they are both scrap! hopefully this will solve it.

also about your injectors, i have this problem aswell, i run on stand alone ecu, i primed the pump from going straight from the battery, got fuel pressure and spark, but injectors wont squirt! hope you get it sorted :)

James5
01-06-2011, 13:01
Awesome matey! hats off to you,

Re fuel pump issue i have the same problem! i checked everything and just had the relays on a bench test and they are both scrap! hopefully this will solve it.

also about your injectors, i have this problem aswell, i run on stand alone ecu, i primed the pump from going straight from the battery, got fuel pressure and spark, but injectors wont squirt! hope you get it sorted :)

I am hoping it's a simple fix in that it's just another knackered relay, if you find out what your fault was let me know :agree:

James5
02-06-2011, 21:31
Good new shes starts so wiring all good :agree: bad news is she smokes like a red fecking arrow :crap: engine has to come out number 3 rings have gone and I have an oil leak from the rear aswell somewhere

Comp test when warm

1 - 143psi
2 - 143psi
3 - 60psi
4 - 147psi

Darn new I should have taken the engine out when I did the h/g and sorted the rings out then. Won't be making that mistake again. At least I know my wiring works :agree:

Bigfoot
02-06-2011, 22:07
Well it was worth a try getting it running that quick, you definately not done bad for 2 weeks work

James5
02-06-2011, 22:10
Well it was worth a try getting it running that quick, you definately not done bad for 2 weeks work

:agree: True not bad at least everything is done it's just getting the engine out now and ordering the bits up.

5teve L
02-06-2011, 22:14
Typical, we get the bugger running & then it turns into a smoke machine :crap:
was good to hear it fire up though..... after changing another dodgy injector & knocking the crud off the dizzy cap.. what would you do without me eh :cooter::cooter:

James5
02-06-2011, 22:18
Typical, we get the bugger running & then it turns into a smoke machine :crap:
was good to hear it fire up though..... after changing another dodgy injector & knocking the crud off the dizzy cap.. what would you do without me eh :cooter::cooter:

:agree: To right matey many thanks for coming up as you say at least it started and ran for a bit.

Not looking forward to taking the bugger out though, although should be a little easier as I cut the slam panel so gives more room and clearance

5teve L
02-06-2011, 22:26
:agree: To right matey many thanks for coming up as you say at least it started and ran for a bit.

Not looking forward to taking the bugger out though, although should be a little easier as I cut the slam panel so gives more room and clearance
I'll be doing mine tomorrow, will check I can't see anything obvious 1st, I think the lump will be coming out though :crap:

James5
04-06-2011, 20:25
Well unfortunatly I did not make national day this year first one in a long time :cry: I have spent the afternoon removing the f7pt from my 5 and stripping the engine down, found the rings in number 3 were shot which I new form the comp test results and the pistons were not wossner but JE low comp forged piston. So removed the piston and eventually managed to get the rings out, so need new piston rings and going to hone the bore aswell.

Fingers crossed no further problems

H/G ordered

Piston out and removed from rod, inspected piston top and middle ring stuck in piston inspected piston further and noticed one side has some warping to it :crap:

Anyway piston is now @ machine shop having this sorted out and I will order some rings to match what the machine shop take it out to will only be a few .mm's bigger:D should be fine still

bod 182
04-06-2011, 21:27
James sorry you missed national day and our yearly calm drive round the track in my car:coffee:

James5
04-06-2011, 21:48
James sorry you missed national day and our yearly calm drive round the track in my car:coffee:

I was so pissed off with the 5 I have not looked at it for the last 2 days, but finally done some bits today, I told myself if the 5 wasn't running I wasn't doing nat day this year. I will be there next year Andrew with fresh pant's :laugh:. I will be doing POD this year though well spectating for the day:agree:

James5
10-06-2011, 08:48
Well engine is back together machine shop managed to save my piston all for the price of £20.00 bloody bargain:agree: they increased the size of ring gaps in the piston to accept OE size piston rings :D this also removed the wonkey ringlands, they also tested to make sure it's still round and it is:agree: So engine went back together last night, gone for a mellior H/G this time, done the ole 6 step head tigtening sequence, all timed up an tensioned, fingers crossed no mayo mix this time as I know the ring problem is sorted now.

Cheers Steve and johnnyevo for popping over and giving me a hand dropping it in:agree:.

Got the loom fitted after you guys had gone and bolted a load of bits up onto the engine aswell, if the rain stops today will finish off what needs doing and hopefully start her again today :sos:

5teve L
10-06-2011, 08:52
Well engine is back together machine managed to save my piston by increasing the size of ring gaps in the piston to accept OE size piston rings :D So engine went back together last night, gone for a mellior H/G this time, done the ole 6 step head tigtening sequence, all timed up an tensioned, fingers crossed no mayo mix this time as I know the ring problem is sorted now.

Cheers Steve and johnnyevo for popping over and giving me a hand dropping it in:agree:.

Got the loom fitted after you guys had gone and bolted a load of bits up onto the engine aswell, if the rain stops today will finish off what needs doing and hopefully start her again today :sos:
No probs matey, like I said last night I may be calling on you to help me finish off mine :cooter:, I just need inspiration & enthusiasm as I seem to be lacking in both at the moment :D
I don't know how you manage with four kids mate, I have enough trouble with three & working full time :wasntme:

Fingers crossed it starts & runs ok today :agree:

James5
10-06-2011, 09:22
No probs matey, like I said last night I may be calling on you to help me finish off mine :cooter:, I just need inspiration & enthusiasm as I seem to be lacking in both at the moment :D
I don't know how you manage with four kids mate, I have enough trouble with three & working full time :wasntme:

Fingers crossed it starts & runs ok today :agree:

Enthusiasm is running really low around here at the mo, I just so hope it works.
Defo up for helping you out matey:agree:

I don't know how I manage it either with working full time the 4 kids and pregnant Mrs's:scared::eek: I just give her no option when I want to play 5 I only really play on the car in the eve's when I can.

DaveMayGTT
10-06-2011, 10:17
Come on guys, you are both in sight of the finish line. Enthusiasm boost needed. Big pat on the back and back to it!

Josie172cup
10-06-2011, 13:16
pics look awesome as per usual :D when you get a spare 10 mins you should deffinately put a list in of exactly whats needed to do this.

imo thats the only thing missing from these great project threads :cooter:

James5
10-06-2011, 16:07
pics look awesome as per usual :D when you get a spare 10 mins you should deffinately put a list in of exactly whats needed to do this.

imo thats the only thing missing from these great project threads :cooter:

I will do a list at the end of parts needed for the conversion:agree: and stick it in the F7 boards section then peeps whom have done it can add to the list:agree:

James5
10-06-2011, 16:14
Todays progress has been slow as I haven't really been enthusiastic about doing the car, got driveshafts back in and bolted up, filled gearbox with oil, filled engine with oil, fitted the wiring loom, installed chargecooler pre-rad again, and dropped the 5 back down onto her wheels:agree:

I will be back out later doing some more, not sure if I should fit the turbo I have on it for now as I have a Pulsar T28 on the way:agree: also fitted a 4 bar bosch fpr into my fuel rail as the faastchips high boost I believe needs 3.5bar and the previous owner of the engine was using a 3bar and I have and adjustable but no fuel rail adaptor so will see what it does to the fueling.

5teve L
10-06-2011, 16:20
Todays progress has been slow as I haven't really been enthusiastic about doing the car, got driveshafts back in and bolted up, filled gearbox with oil, filled engine with oil, fitted the wiring loom, installed chargecooler pre-rad again, and dropped the 5 back down onto her wheels:agree:

I will be back out later doing some more, not sure if I should fit the turbo I have on it for now as I have a Pulsar T28 on the way:agree: also fitted a 4 bar bosch fpr into my fuel rail as the faastchips high boost I believe needs 3.5bar and the previous owner of the engine was using a 3bar and I have and adjustable but no fuel rail adaptor so will see what it does to the fueling.
Thought you'd have started it TBH matey :cooter:
I went to my car earlier, it rained hard so I came home with the hump, decided to sort my van out, broke things on that so not a very productive day for me either :cry:

James5
10-06-2011, 16:39
Thought you'd have started it TBH matey :cooter:
I went to my car earlier, it rained hard so I came home with the hump, decided to sort my van out, broke things on that so not a very productive day for me either :cry:

I don't know if I want to start it when I am finished with fear of something going wrong:scared:.

Brigsy
10-06-2011, 18:42
Awesome turnaround mate, soon be back on the road:agree:

James5
10-06-2011, 20:39
Good news is she runs and I have had no mixing of mayo in the oil this time :agree: Bad news is I need a new battery this fecker doesn't hold any charge:crap:

Need to work out why the revs keep increasing by themselves? and I need to sort out some of the OE gauges to work aswell mainly rev counter I need to work.

Logg
10-06-2011, 20:54
are you using the 16v coil or coil packs? as I use a 16v coil and just have it plugged into the oe AEI plug and my rev counter works.

James5
10-06-2011, 20:58
are you using the 16v coil or coil packs? as I use and 16v coil and just have it plugged into the oe AEI plug and my rev counter works.

I am using the 16v coil pack looks like the GTT AEI. I will take a peek in a bit:agree:

ANy one got idea's as to why the rev's (i have no idea on how much as rpm gauge wasn't working at time but I would say she started at 1500rpms (so I assume cold start or the sensor I am missing due to different box) and then it increases in stages from there upwards for example 1500, then up say to 200, 2500, 3000 and will just keep going up??

Logg
10-06-2011, 21:04
Yeah that what I'm using got the plug that would of been plugged into the bottom of the old aei plug into the 16v coil pack.

5teve L
10-06-2011, 21:16
Check your tps is secure and set correctly. 2000 ohms over wires A and c when TB closed and around 6000-6500 ohms when tb is fully open using wires a and c.

Then let the engine rev and spray a high pressure cleaner (i.e brake cleaner around the inlet) If the revs drop its drawing in air.

Could also be chip or road speed sensor related, ie not having valver box & clocks....

Remove & block ICV & see if it stalls.

Brigsy
10-06-2011, 21:24
Revs increasing could be air leak on inlet mate as Steve said :)

James5
10-06-2011, 21:42
Check your tps is secure and set correctly. 2000 ohms over wires A and c when TB closed and around 6000-6500 ohms when tb is fully open using wires a and c.

Then let the engine rev and spray a high pressure cleaner (i.e brake cleaner around the inlet) If the revs drop its drawing in air.

Could also be chip or road speed sensor related, ie not having valver box & clocks....

Remove & block ICV & see if it stalls.

Yeah was thinking an airleak, I have already ditched the ICV:agree:

Will check TPS tomorrow as I am in all day so may get sometime to play with the 5:agree:

philr5t
11-06-2011, 00:39
Fantastic news that she fires mate really pleased for you after the luck you have had recently with that seized lump but keep going I also think it could be an air leak making the revs rise but I'm shore you will find it well done mate hopefully I'll drive my 5 over to you next week and give you a hand with the air filter hole ;)

James5
11-06-2011, 08:26
Fantastic news that she fires mate really pleased for you after the luck you have had recently with that seized lump but keep going I also think it could be an air leak making the revs rise but I'm shore you will find it well done mate hopefully I'll drive my 5 over to you next week and give you a hand with the air filter hole ;)

Cheers matey going to have a play with the 5 today :agree: I have another new gasket to put on if it still does it I may just get some sealant on the manifold matting face :)
Be good to see your 5 on the roads matey my memories still picture it in the garage:)

5teve L
11-06-2011, 09:45
You could also try plugging in the ICV to see what happens, ususlly they unplug them to see if they are working ok..

turbo ted
11-06-2011, 11:42
Cheers matey going to have a play with the 5 today :agree: I have another new gasket to put on if it still does it I may just get some sealant on the manifold matting face :)
Be good to see your 5 on the roads matey my memories still picture it in the garage:)
i think the chipped ecu will cause this problem because when i run a chipped ecu in my r19 track car it will not idle below 1500rpm and rises up and down to 2500rpm

James5
13-06-2011, 22:19
Well got some fantastic new's many thanks to 5teveL for popping around this eve and noticing my injector's O rings were to small, changed these over and guess what she idles now @ 1krpm's and my rev gauge now works also again many thanks Steve, :agree: :agree: (check out the OE stickers on the rear window)

5teve L
13-06-2011, 22:28
Helps if you tap into the right wire for the rev counter James :cooter:
Just glad we had that blowback out of the injector port or I'd have not thought about swapping the lower o-rings !
Nice to hear it burble away anyway, now just need to get mine started again :cry:

tom t
13-06-2011, 23:01
awesome fellas! sticker looks good aswell just need to add a T.
how long till youres is sorted steve?

are you driving the car now then james or things still to do?

James5
14-06-2011, 08:01
awesome fellas! sticker looks good aswell just need to add a T.
how long till youres is sorted steve?

are you driving the car now then james or things still to do?

Mine is pretty much done just awaiting new TB gasket to turn up as I borrowed Steve's PTFE one to run my car, I need to tidy the wiring as I used block connectors to start with to make sure I had the right cable's linked:D and I need to drill a couple of hole saw holes in my bulkhead 1 for air filter and another so I can run cables through the inner wings oh and I need fuel which will have to be a Jerry can as the closest petrol station is 8 miles away and the 5 won't make it there. :D

Steve's isn't far of at all his is awaiting a few silicone bends to finish intercooler and coolant pipe run's. At present his is doing what mine was doing with the lack of starting problem I was having the problem for ages turned out the injectors are just flooding the engine if it doesn't catch first time with spark:agree: Well I hope that is all his is:agree:

Not a bad turn around for a full engine conversion started install 20th may 2011 and finished 13th June 2011.

T28 200sx turbo bought and on way also got a special core adaptor for the 200sx which is M11x1.0mm thread (core size) to -4an.

Hopefully over next couple of days this will arrive and be installed.

ioshi_s_golf
14-06-2011, 09:53
Well done fella :)

James5
11-07-2011, 23:22
Feck me just done a 25mile round trip in the gtt and all I can say is I am likeing the conversion :agree: first half of the drive was a steady see how she goes and some boost:eek::scared: on the way home thrashed it :burnrubber: only running 8psi and it fecking fly's love it, a few little nggly things to sort out but nothing major now:agree:

Will do these over the next couple of eve's but she runs, many thanks 5teveL for the help and parts matey:agree::cooter:

5teve L
11-07-2011, 23:49
Feck me just done a 25mile round trip in the gtt and all I can say is I am likeing the conversion :agree: first half of the drive was a steady see how she goes and some boost:eek::scared: on the way home thrashed it :burnrubber: only running 8psi and it fecking fly's love it, a few little nggly things to sort out but nothing major now:agree:

Will do these over the next couple of eve's but she runs, many thanks 5teveL for the help and parts matey:agree::cooter:

Had to get at least one running mate, yours was closer to the finish, now it's a frankencar of my bits & yours:cooter: & at least I know my wiring diagram is ok as well ;)
Felt nice & responsive with that S14 T28 @ 8psi, I'm deffo going for something a little bigger now though for sure ;)

you do realise it does however make you my biatch for the next month or two :wasntme:

James5
12-07-2011, 10:14
Had to get at least one running mate, yours was closer to the finish, now it's a frankencar of my bits & yours:cooter: & at least I know my wiring diagram is ok as well ;)
Felt nice & responsive with that S14 T28 @ 8psi, I'm deffo going for something a little bigger now though for sure ;)

you do realise it does however make you my biatch for the next month or two :wasntme:

Defo a franken car, only thing left that I have not had to fix or purchase again are the turbo downpipe, chargecooler , fastchip ecu's, the rest has either been replaced or been worked on by the machine shop. Cost me double waht it would have done if I done it all with new part's. Steve glas you bought so many F7p engine's:laugh::agree:

Biatch:cooter:

It did pull well last night for the 8psi boost I was running what do the standard S14 actuators hold?? as I have got the bleed valve open'd quiet a bit just to make that 8psi of boost:scratch:, actuator is reference'd to the turbo compressor inlet adaptor, I am thinking of referencing the actuator to the inlet manifold to see if this makes a difference

A bigger turbo would suit it better as full boost on the S14 T28 is about 3.5k-4krpm's but it does just keep pulling though:D I can live with it ........................for now:devil:

Got home last night and the Mrs's open'd the door looked around for the RAC recovery vechile as though she was expecting it and then said no smoke then:laugh: little faith:laugh:.

James5
16-07-2011, 14:07
Well actuator is now referenced to the inlet manifold and boost has gone up to 12psi, still a few more psi to go yet:agree:

Changed alternator for a better one as mine wasn't charging the battery new alternator is now charging the battery:agree: but now sounds like he car has a supercharger aswell, so i have tighthened up the alt belt some more to see if this stops the horrible noise:agree:

I have also earthed the VSS wire which is pin 3 out on the ECU aswell as this is should eliminate the high idle after a thrashing aswell (fingers crossed).

James5
16-07-2011, 20:46
OK tip for peeps don't ground pin 3 :eek: causes lots of smoke and wire melting:cry: I managed to save the wires and the car drives:agree:

tom t
16-07-2011, 23:01
no way that was lucky then m8. i take it thatcould have ended up a lot worse and fried the ecu? how did you manage to stop it? or did this happen whilst ideling?

glad its running for you m8!

James5
16-07-2011, 23:23
no way that was lucky then m8. i take it thatcould have ended up a lot worse and fried the ecu? how did you manage to stop it? or did this happen whilst ideling?

glad its running for you m8!

Cheers matey I am very pleased she finally runs and runs very well, just annoying pulling up to a junction and she is idleing @ 1500-2000rpm's it's fecking loud.

Tom T thankfully I didn't even get to turn the car on as soon as I put battery leads on it started to smoke so pulled straight off and removed the pin 3 earth I was very lucky

SCHWARTZ
17-07-2011, 00:30
well done matey, looks pukka;) cant wait to see it at the next meet:D

DaveMayGTT
18-07-2011, 10:47
Wow, always some sort of interesting update with you :p

Sounds like you're there m8, nice one.

James5
18-07-2011, 11:02
Cheers guys pic's make it look much better than it actually is:laugh: think the ole saying is a photo can make a polished turd look good:agree:

For peeps whom read this don'twhat ever you do ground the ECU VSS pin 3, causes smoke and possible fire.:eek: I was lucky this time.

Well car is still running has a couple of niggly bits left to do on it but I am still driving it about so that's good news and I haven't taken the engine out and I have no plans to take the engine out:D Turned the boost up some more and now running 14psi going to leave it there so I can monitor the afr's properly but from what I have seen so far they seem ok and crikey the car is fecking rapid wheelspins up very very quick, hit's the 7250 limiter pretty fecking quick from the of, also blowing spark out on hard accelerartion from stand still, so I need to check spark plug gaps sounds awesome.

Engine isn't so tappety anymore, have some blue smoke which I think is valve stem seals maybe guides but to be honest not bothering me at the mo as it drives fantastic and you don't see it if you go fast enough http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif I will sort them out in the future am loving the conversion, turn the key and starts first time

Things left to do

Replace battery,
Tidy engine bay wires up,
Get 2.5" exhaust clamp as one on now broken,
Sort high idle after 60mph + drive does it with or without boost,
eventually sort valve stem seals / guides.

Got a few things to try on the high idle side will post results once tried them as maybe handy for others whom go down this conversion route

James5
18-07-2011, 20:03
Right High idle after a good thrashing over 60mph now sorted:D:agree:, I ditched the ICV and blocked up the ICV pipes undid the small screw on the TB and adjusted the idle, I did this when engine is up to temp, have idle about 1100 rpm's now which I can live with could prob go a little lower, not sure what the cold start will be like as no ICV now, ohwell can't be any worse than a carb'd car:laugh:

SCHWARTZ
18-07-2011, 20:30
i ran mine with no icv just revved about 200rpm higher when hot, dont know about f7p but cant see it being much different.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-07-2011, 20:44
Right High idle after a good thrashing over 60mph now sorted:D:agree:, how sorted ditched the ICV and blocked up the pipes undo the small screw on the TB and adjust idle, do this when engine is up to temp, have idle about 1100 rpm's now which I can live with could prob go a little lower, not sure what the cold start will be like as no ICV now, ohwell can't be any worse than a carb'd car:laugh:

Cool, it worked then?
Don't forget to seal up the air bypass screw (like a mixture screw on a GTT, it can pop out after a while) with a blob of THIXO or silicon.
Matt@CRM

Andrew Cooke
18-07-2011, 21:25
Well actuator is now referenced to the inlet manifold and boost has gone up to 12psi, still a few more psi to go yet:agree:

so you're losing 4psi between the compressor and the inlet? Something is wrong there, do you have a leak? Are you getting full throttle? Is something blocked?

James5
19-07-2011, 11:13
so you're losing 4psi between the compressor and the inlet? Something is wrong there, do you have a leak? Are you getting full throttle? Is something blocked?

:laugh:Sorted adaptor for compressor wasn't sealed properly,

Andrew Cooke
19-07-2011, 19:03
:laugh:Sorted adaptor for compressor wasn't sealed properly,

schoolboy error :cooter:

James5
19-07-2011, 19:10
schoolboy error :cooter:

:laugh: I make plenty of them:D:ashamed:

James5
25-07-2011, 08:31
Well the good news is the F7pturbo is still up and running :agree: and I have no plans to remove the engine:D the bad news is the Fastchips ECU is unable to provide me with enough fuel for 14psi:crap: I am seeing 13.8 @ WOT on a 3 bar reg with 802 injectors.

I fitted a 4bar VW fpr yesterday and afr's @ WOT have improved but still not good enough they are about 12.6 +rises.

I do have an adjustable reg but just waiting on the adaptor to come but I have a feeling even though the fastchips High boost chip was based on 802 injectors I am sure I have read somewhere that some were done on the 803 injectors.

So for now I have reduced the boost by quiet a bit :(not to sure by how much yet as not driven the car since I just don't want it going bang aslong as i see no more than 12.1 @ WOT it will do for now.

Basically my spec ticks everything on this link

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/epages/es118981.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es118981_shop/Products/%22Clio%20/%2019%201.8%2016v%20Turbo%20Chip%20260%20BHP%22

I am wondering if the link has a typo and should be 803 and the low boost setup the 802, although there 320bhp chip apparently used 802's aswell.

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/epages/es118981.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es118981_shop/Products/%22Clio%20/%2019%201.8%2016v%20Turbo%20Chip%20320%20BHP%22

Low boost
http://www.engine-dynamics.com/epages/es118981.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es118981_shop/Products/%22Clio%20/%2019%201.8%2016v%20Turbo%20Chip%20210%20BHP%22

Does anybody have a set of dark green 803's I can use just to try it out to see if it does improve it at all :SOS:

Bigfoot
25-07-2011, 08:37
I would definately say that you would need 803s to run that sort of power.

Got mine running up at the weekend after changing over for a new battery and once again changing over the dizzy cap and rotor arm, run spot on at 15psi :burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

Brigsy
25-07-2011, 12:09
Time for a nice standalone setup & proper map mate :D

Logg
25-07-2011, 12:28

No you don't what you want is a phat group A carb tgat solve all you issues with zzzzzzzz boost.

James5
25-07-2011, 13:11

:agree:I agree but funds are low after the conversion happening so quick and my 4 kids birthdays going on at present over last month, this month and next and then I ahve the Mrs's 30th birthday. I will prob end up getting some 803 injectors seeing what happens with AFR's @ WOT or some equivalent fitment with similar CC's.

If getting 803's makes no difference I will get the standard ECU re-mapped as it can be live mapped might aswell get a better map sensor than the 21t to allow more boost and get the ole girl setup.

No you don't what you want is a phat group A carb tgat solve all you issues with zzzzzzzz boost.

:laugh:

James5
28-07-2011, 15:02
Had a conversation with David @ K-tec today as i was interested to see what injectors they used on there setup he advised they used R21T 802 injectors and also used the fastchips High boost chip and they have had them running perfect @ 17psi without an afr problem.

Does anyone think the 803's will help or have I got a fuel supply problem from the walbro 255? the adjustable rising rate reg is set @ 3.2bar with vac line off. Since using my AEM on P04 setting to give my ECU a narrowband signal as well my idle afr's are fine now. The fuel filter is 12months old. Why can I only fuel for 8ps @ WOTi?? This is depressing I just want to run 1bar of boost without problems and I can't afford standalone yet:cry:

5teve L
28-07-2011, 17:08
Need to check the fuel is there top end matey & not tailing off before the rail...

James5
30-07-2011, 16:39
Need to check the fuel is there top end matey & not tailing off before the rail...

Slight update on my project - Car has been going well until recently seem to have a fuel problem suspected blocked filter or the new Walbro has given up did think injectors but afr's are getting worse and worse @ WOT which makes me think fuel pump :crap: and the pump is a brand new Walbro GSL392 aka external 255 walbro jobbie, I have tried to contact the seller ebay company seller and they have said no warrenty :crap: but I have found other places that say walbro 1 year manufacturers warrenty any one a walbro main dealer and able to get me a replacement pump or get this one back to them so they can look at it and sort it out

Also got a nice ticking noise which I think is exhaust or around the turbo mating flange to manifold area.

James5
05-08-2011, 21:27
Yet another update,

Walbro 255 (GSL392) removed decided I am sending it back to Walbro, Borrowed a Bosch pump of Gary aka The Wallaby :laugh: . Seems better on idle already although not driven it yet. Still need to sort the hydraulic lifters out which I will do next week one eve

steer from the rear
05-08-2011, 23:27
Yet another update,

Walbro 255 (GSL392) removed decided I am sending it back to Walbro, Borrowed a Bosch pump of Gary aka The Wallaby :laugh: . Seems better on idle already although not driven it yet. Still need to sort the hydraulic lifters out which I will do next week one eve

i bought a new set of lifters for 62 quid, seem ok quality will see if they work next week :agree:

Bigfoot
05-08-2011, 23:32
i bought a new set of lifters for 62 quid, seem ok quality will see if they work next week :agree:

I guess those were the set off ebay which he has loads of, dont know how they are that cheap as cant even get them into our work place for that cheap :crap:

philg
06-08-2011, 09:38
Im pleased you have this running now james, sounds to me you are nearly there :) Get the pump and fueling sorted and happy days :D

phil

James5
06-08-2011, 14:19
Well car is still doing it with a different pump :scratch: I will check sender from tank and the return pipe's also make sure breathers are not blocked now

SCHWARTZ
06-08-2011, 18:35
Thats a ****ter matey the pump was running fine last time I used it, as you know I had a lot of trouble with kinks in the fuel feed I also put a hose pipe clip on the sender end to make sure it was air tight and didnt loose vaccuum. May be worth a shot;)

James5
06-08-2011, 19:17
Thats a ****ter matey the pump was running fine last time I used it, as you know I had a lot of trouble with kinks in the fuel feed I also put a hose pipe clip on the sender end to make sure it was air tight and didnt loose vaccuum. May be worth a shot;)

I don't think either pump is @ fault now, blocked fuel feed or return is blocked, will investigate next week one eve

SCHWARTZ
06-08-2011, 19:26
Hopfully its an easy fix matey, defo check that feed.

James5
08-08-2011, 08:24
5Tevel popped over last night for a quick play with the 5 and he seem's to think the problem could be down to a dodgey TPS sensor as he noticed it was slightly loose:eek:

Just noting the correct setting below

resistance:

from 1800 +/- 200 Ohms at no load to 3000 +/- 200 Ohms at full load

resistance of the throttle potentiometer circuit: 4000 Ohms
(these values are from Clio 16V manual)

SCHWARTZ
08-08-2011, 13:00
I dont know how much the f7p relys on the tps but the volvo runs fine without it just dosnt get an extra squirt of fuel like with the acc pump jet on the 32dis.

James5
08-08-2011, 13:09
I hope it is the TPS, on the F7p the car does not run properly with it not plugged in.

James5
09-08-2011, 16:43
:agree:OK update changed the complete TB last night so it had unmolested TPS and screw on top of TB also unmolested car now idles perfect:agree:. Have taken the car for a quick blast aswell and no more bogging and hesitating:agree:. Still need to sort out fueling for WOT as only running 6psi at the mo and fueling @ WOT is bad (Although am still running on the borrowed Golft GTI mk1 fuel pump from Schwartz). Will put the walrbo 255 back on and see what the WOT fueling is like.

Edit- Fueling sorted with the adding of the golf pump, the walbro was just **** for sucking from the tank it just needed the lift pump WOT @ 16psi is 12.2

All car problems now sorted other than a tappety engine which is down to a suspected hydraulic valve sticking or failure.

Moral of the storey is buy new or from a trusted source:ashamed::agree: