PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bolts

BriC
09-11-2008, 15:43
Sorry if this has been covered before - I did do a search, but couldn't find the answer I wanted.

The other day, I was driving to college in my Campus daily driver. The car has 15" TSW stealths without spacers, and I am using campus wheel bolts without washers. So, I was driving along and I noticed a vibration coming from the front nearside wheel. Pulled over and the wheel bolts were loose, and the wheel was obviously wobbling a bit. Tightened it up and off I went. I took it easy in the evening when going home (sticking to about 65 on the motorway) and I didn't have a problem.

Used my car to get to work (only about a 10 minute drive) and back the rest of the week and it was still fine. I also checked the stud holes on the wheel, and I haven't ovalled (sp) them luckily. But yesterday, when I was driving up to derby, about 45 minutes into the journey I noticed the wobble again. Once again, tightened up, took it easy and it was fine the rest of the way there and on the way back. One thing to take into account, is that the vibration showed both times after a couple of minutes of being off the motorway, so I was thinking it could have something to do with the motorway speeds (when driving at usual speed of about 75-80mph).

It is also happening only on the front - not the rear. The wheels have been used for about 1 year and a couple of month in the past on previous Renault 5's with the same style wheel bolts and I have never had this problem before.

Do other people use wheel bolts with washers? Should I? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

raj
09-11-2008, 15:56
am i right in thinking its only the std gtt wheel bolts that have washers? with aftermarket wheels ive always used aftermarket bolts with no washers.
the taper on the aftermarket bolts is wider to compensate for not having washers.

scratcher
09-11-2008, 19:23
has someone been trying to pinch your wheels maybe?
i'm pretty sure i don't have washers on my wheel bolts.

Bigfoot
09-11-2008, 19:26
No difference in size wise between the two, but isn't there a difference in type of bolt for a steel wheel and an alloy wheel?

richi
09-11-2008, 21:19
maybe your skinny arms arent strong enough lol,

righten to tighten leften to loosen;)

Brigsy
09-11-2008, 22:03
No difference in size wise between the two, but isn't there a difference in type of bolt for a steel wheel and an alloy wheel?

From what ive seen the bolts on renaults with steel wheels are the same as the ones on the alloy wheels, My extra van had the same bolts as my gtt & it had steelies on from new.

Make sure the bolts are tight Olly, i know they shouldn't be flogged on but i always make sure my wheel bolts are nipped up tight.

raj
09-11-2008, 23:18
maybe your skinny arms arent strong enough lol,

righten to tighten leften to loosen;)

ive always found that righty tighty and lefty loosey stick to mind better :D

BriC
09-11-2008, 23:35
Yep, they are nice and tight.

I really don't understand it. One thing my Dad suggested, is if the balancing is out, you may not necesarily feel it through the steering wheel, but that could have something to do with it? So, perhaps that could be the case?

Scoff
09-11-2008, 23:43
are the bolts long enough ? you want to be going in atleast 10 full turns.

BriC
09-11-2008, 23:45
Yep, they're plenty long. As long as all the other ones I have used / had no problems with. They are standard campus ones.

Sparkie
09-11-2008, 23:49
what shape is the bolt? - is there a 45 degree angle that pushes into the wheel to hold it secure.
the VW ones have a curved surface, which do not sit on the conical chaped area of alloys well at all.

id be inclined to use very weak threadlock on the bolts...

Winston
10-11-2008, 01:19
Do they have the correct spigot rings?

BriC
10-11-2008, 08:06
The stud holes in the rim? No.. Doesn't have any spiggot rings

Mart
10-11-2008, 09:15
Have you tried cleaning/de-greasing the threads?

BriC
10-11-2008, 09:18
No, I haven't. Another thing to try / look at. :)

Misky
10-11-2008, 09:25
Oli get to the gym :laugh:
If the length is correct, to tighten them up real tight use a bar on the end of the socket ;)
I used my mum's garden rake and bent it. :D

BriC
10-11-2008, 09:29
Misky, it's not the best of ideas to tighten the bolts up too tight.. You will damage the thread. Believe me, it isn't a case of them not being tight enough.

OUTLAW
10-11-2008, 09:45
sounds like your missing a spiggot ring bud, big matal washer on the inside of the wheel, use to stop vibrations...you can buy theses, no probs....remove the other wheels to see if they have the spiggots on the inside..:agree:

BriC
10-11-2008, 09:49
sounds like your missing a spiggot ring bud, big matal washer on the inside of the wheel, use to stop vibrations...you can buy theses, no probs....remove the other wheels to see if they have the spiggots on the inside..:agree:

You know what mate, it could very well be that. Reason I say that is a spiggot ring on one of the wheels kept being attaching itself to the hub of my GTT (which is now in carlisle in a bodyshop), and it could be that I forgot to check I'd taken the spiggot ring off with the wheel! Would the vibration work the wheel nuts loose?

OUTLAW
10-11-2008, 10:09
the spiggot ring helps to centralise the wheel..which will locate on the hub..if there is no spiggot, the wheel will be supported by the bolts, lots of strain on bearings etc,:sad2:...not a very good idea..with the vibration, there is always the posibility of working its way loose..spiggots are sold in packs of four..give Nick a bell at demon`s...01978 663064...no more than 20 squidlys..posted:agree:..just be sure to have the manufacture,size and design name to hand..i.e..tsw blade 15"...etc:D

BriC
10-11-2008, 10:14
I thought they were only there to help centralise the wheel when fitting. Didn't think they would make that much difference once fitted? Oh well.. Seems I'm wrong once again :cry:

OUTLAW
10-11-2008, 10:52
I thought they were only there to help centralise the wheel when fitting. Didn't think they would make that much difference once fitted? Oh well.. Seems I'm wrong once again :cry:
dont quote me on that sir...just my contibution to the thread:agree:

Brigsy
10-11-2008, 11:46
Lack of spiggot rings wont make the wheel come loose. Ive used wheels without them before.

BriC
10-11-2008, 11:49
OK, so I take it the general consensus is that GTT and Campus wheel bolts are the same.. without washers?

Winston
11-11-2008, 13:41
My Ronal Turbos always used to work loose without spigots fitted,, think it depends on the wheel

I can't tell you about 5's:ashamed:.. but on clios with alloys have the washers on the bolt.. Clios with steels don't have washers on the bolt