PDA

View Full Version : Vapor digital dash...

Leigh
09-11-2008, 12:39
Has anyone got the Vapour dash kit ? I bought mine from Rally Design and just getting round to fitting it and wondering how others fitted the speedo pickup and what you done about the fuel gauge :D

Thanks Leigh

J$£5GTT
09-11-2008, 14:30
dont they come with a speed sensor,i mean
cant you just tap in to the existing speedo
wires with that?

Leigh
09-11-2008, 16:19
dont they come with a speed sensor,i mean
cant you just tap in to the existing speedo
wires with that?

No its like a magnet type thing like on the bike ones you can get.

Andrew Cooke
09-11-2008, 16:25
on my logger I stuck the magnet onto the inner pot joint on the drivers side driveshaft and made a bracket that hung off one of the sump bolts. I put some tape over the magnet too.

Kris M
09-11-2008, 16:25
I remember reading somewhere that Ducan griers old 5 had an aftermarket speedo fitted, they mounted the pickup close to the driveshaft, which it used to take a reading

Scoff
09-11-2008, 16:31
I remember reading somewhere that Ducan griers old 5 had an aftermarket speedo fitted, they mounted the pickup close to the driveshaft, which it used to take a reading

I fitted it, but I didn't use a magnet. the VW gearbox had 8 bolts on the inner CV's, I made a bracket to hold the hall sensor above the CV so that as it spun the sensor could "count" the bolt heads. worked a treat, saved making a trigger wheel or installing a magnet.

problem with the GTT setup is that you have very little space to do anything on the output shafts before they turn into driveshafts. You can't mount anything on a driveshaft since it moves about, you couldn't mount a sensor. you might be able to install the magnet on the offside output shaft before the CV.

Scoff
09-11-2008, 16:33
ooh, beaten too it, guess offside output shaft is the winner :)

Leigh
09-11-2008, 18:27
ooh, beaten too it, guess offside output shaft is the winner :)

Seems a good bet then,i will give that a go hope the wire reaches :D

TNT!hammond
09-11-2008, 18:33
i have the vapour dash fitted and all setup working fine. i made an alloy bracket to from the shock to hub mounting bolts . i then pointed the bracket at an angle to pick up the magnet which i mounted to the hub where the drive shaft connects to the hub. ill take a few picks tommorow if i can . its hard to explain where it is but i have no clearance issues. The only problem i have with the vapour is the tacho signal,it wouldn't give a steady reading and multiplied after certain rpms, but i wasnt bothered as i have a large standalone tacho aswell any way

Guybrush
09-11-2008, 19:05
The only problem i have with the vapour is the tacho signal,it wouldn't give a steady reading and multiplied after certain rpms, but i wasnt bothered as i have a large standalone tacho aswell any way

I'm sure i remeber someone coming up against this problem when using another data logger, i think the solution was actually just to use a variable resistor in the wire from the tacho. By playing around with the setting, he was able to get a stable signal.

Sparkie
09-11-2008, 19:52
would it be possible to get the ABS ring off a clio fitted to the end of a gtt driveshaft and use it to measure speed that way? i think they are interference fitted on.... or you could get your local driveshaft reconditioner to put a clio joint on the end of the gtt shaft?

Scoff
09-11-2008, 20:00
if you can't put an ABS ring on the front you could do what I've done with my car - I use clio 172 discs on the back with ABS rings and welded a tab into the hub to hold a sensor. rear is better ofcourse since it won't misread when you spin the wheels.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
09-11-2008, 21:26
on my logger I stuck the magnet onto the inner pot joint on the drivers side driveshaft and made a bracket that hung off one of the sump bolts. I put some tape over the magnet too.

Same way I did my SPA speedo.......

Mudslinger
09-11-2008, 21:44
ive been having probs with this aswell , im using the spa speedo/ rev counter, ive got the magnet on the back of the wheel stud on the rear , was told it was no good on the front due to wheel spin , i think it just need to be a few mm closer as its not registering quite right , going to get a slightly longer stud, see if that works.

Leigh
10-11-2008, 10:06
if you can't put an ABS ring on the front you could do what I've done with my car - I use clio 172 discs on the back with ABS rings and welded a tab into the hub to hold a sensor. rear is better ofcourse since it won't misread when you spin the wheels.

Do you know if the disc comes with the abs ring ? Got a picture of them but not that clear http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/apec_detail_picture.asp?image=images/Large/DSK%2D250%2Ejpg&partno=DSK+250&manufacturer=RENAULT

Scoff
10-11-2008, 10:16
Do you know if the disc comes with the abs ring ? Got a picture of them but not that clear http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/apec_detail_picture.asp?image=images/Large/DSK%2D250%2Ejpg&partno=DSK+250&manufacturer=RENAULT

I don't think it does, andy donated me some 2nd hand jobbies for that reason, but you still need the ABS discs since since you can't press the ring onto a GTT disc.

scrap yard job! 172, later 16v clio/19/williams (with ABS), and probably others too that I can't think off.

Andrew Cooke
10-11-2008, 13:06
yours was off a 182 Scoff.

markey b
12-11-2008, 14:56
rossakahammond has one on his, he made something on the OSF hub, bit like an ABS sensor :)

TNT!hammond
13-11-2008, 00:20
rossakahammond has one on his, he made something on the OSF hub, bit like an ABS sensor :)

TNT!hammond formerly known as rossakahammond ,i still havent had a chance to take a picture of the mount very sorry and will do asap :)

vas
23-05-2009, 08:22
anyone got pics they can put up to show how they have mounted the sensor ?
need to try and finish mine this weekend and hopefully make it to the pod for friday!!...woohoo

cheers:)