PDA

View Full Version : Click click- poxy starter

Chris Holt
07-05-2011, 18:47
Hi folks, so continuing starter problems. Starter is sometimes starting, majority just clicking. Seemed to be ok when cold.

So got a heat shield wrap for it, re did the relay by pass to avoid voltage drop on excite wire. Dvm shows power from battery to starter to alternator.

Wires have good connection only thing I can think to do is add another earth, earth. It's a new starter motor

Help

tiff_lee
07-05-2011, 19:23
When I mentioned heat soak before in my experience that would just cause the starter to turn really really slowly. If its just a click sticky solenoid perhaps, give it a gentle 'tap' and then try.

Chris Holt
07-05-2011, 19:49
Just gone back, now she's cold and started no problem... Maybe battery is knackered... Or a fuel can and matches will solve everything

Eugein Offord
07-05-2011, 22:18
yo.............chriss................ iv had a new starter fitted to my gtt........ i have an original metal heat sheild from '85... its double skined and very wide .. the wireing is new and full battery width..........after the heat of 15 minutes on the track is still clicks ... just like the last one did.............not a prob, lets every on think ive got a **** motor...................:agree: if it happens driving down the high street at the lights id out it ,,, bar that i wouldnt worry...

Tony Walker
07-05-2011, 22:19
My solenoid was sticking after a spirited drive, and would start after 10mins cooling down. i gave my starter motor and solenoid a good blast inside with wd40 and its never worked so well. theres two holes where you can spray right inside. the motor and solenoid.

Chris Holt
07-05-2011, 23:36
Just a pain when you go to fill up with petrol or if it stalls as the the bloody thing wont turn over... if in doubt push and bump start it. :)

ill give it a spray tomorrow, once i figure a way as covered it in a heat shield

Hoolio
08-05-2011, 00:11
Click click-poxy battery.

Jimmy_GTT
08-05-2011, 10:30
My solenoid was sticking after a spirited drive, and would start after 10mins cooling down. i gave my starter motor and solenoid a good blast inside with wd40 and its never worked so well. theres two holes where you can spray right inside. the motor and solenoid.

Without removing it from the car?

Chris Holt
08-05-2011, 11:44
Ok new battery on, put sone heat wrap around the exhaust, Taken out for a nice long drive, got back home. Tried to start up straight after and still clicking!!!!

James5
08-05-2011, 11:49
Ok new battery on, put sone heat wrap around the exhaust, Taken out for a nice long drive, got back home. Tried to start up straight after and still clicking!!!!

Send it back as faulty and get them to send you another starter this time use a heathshield from the start

Ian S
08-05-2011, 12:05
Have you measured the voltage on the white (excite) wire while the ign key is turned? Ie, after the starter has clicked and is being held over?

One of those shops that repair starters told me some of them have plastic parts inside which warp with the heat. I had the thin Valeo starter and he said that was one of those and he replaced the part(s) with metal. This may have been complete BS just to get £10 from me! I didn't see the plastic or metal parts.

Re the WD40. It can go rather thick and 'waxy' so won't that just set solid, especially with the heat, after a while and make sure the starter won't turn?

Ian S
08-05-2011, 12:07
another starter this time use a heathshield from the startI was thinking that also; maybe the new starter was damaged by the heat straight away?

Chris Holt
08-05-2011, 17:01
Well just spent the last 2 hours putting the old exhaust manifold back on. I forgot how much difference there was on the clearance from the starter motor. Went for a drive, seems fine. Going to take for an extended run later... Fingers crossed