PDA

View Full Version : stuttering in 3rd,4th and 5th on boost..

Harrison01
02-05-2011, 20:58
ladies and gents...

when driving the car reaonably hard through the gears the engine decides to start stuttering in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear just when the engine is coming on boost. i have so far checked the pick up filter in fuel tank, fuel filter, inline filter in carb, stripped and cleaned the carb checked mixture screw, checked plugs leads and cap + arm but now running out of optiond. the car has been running fine for a year now but i cant seem to find the cause of the problem

a friend and i have been out in the car to try identify the problem. we have found that when the car starts stuttering and we keep our foot down the car starts to do the odd backfire. also if we slowly put our foot down it doent do anything and the car is fine. we wondered if the car could be over fuelling? but even then wouldnt know what could be causing this...

bigdur
02-05-2011, 21:06
I fixed that exact problem today, my issue was overfueling, the carb was causing flooding.

Madmax
02-05-2011, 21:36
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I had the same issue on a V8 range rover in high gears and it turned out to be an air leak on the inlet manifold. It only happened when driven hard and pulling high vacuum.

Maybe worth checking???

J8TRO
02-05-2011, 22:00
let me know how you get on..........exactly the same problem with mine. On track its fine, but up the strip or giving it beans of the lights and through the gears it will splutter at 3500rpm in 3rd and carry on into 4th.............:confused:

andybond
03-05-2011, 07:45
Mine did that a short while before the fuel pump relay packed in ...

markey b
04-05-2011, 13:45
mine did it when i used OE plugs at high boost

Guybrush
04-05-2011, 13:53
i'd suggest rebuilding the carb before you buy anything (new fuel pump etc).
it's cheap to do, and if nothing else you'll have a shiny new carb with clear jets and new seals :)

if the cars not fuelling properly, and your still driving it then it's a bit of a ticking time bomb before something goes pop.

Brigsy
04-05-2011, 17:10
Its probably too lean or rich. Check the reference pipe to the fuel pressure regulator for splits, change the fuel filter etc. What colour are your plugs?

Harrison01
08-05-2011, 16:47
havent had chance to check the plugs etc recently, but when i removed them 4-500 miles ago they were fine. its just really puzzling. just when i want to put the car on the market aswell.:sad2: