PDA

View Full Version : Supplier for Rings, Shells, etc.

f0xy
01-05-2011, 13:12
Just wondering if anyone knows of any good (well priced) suppliers for engine components? Im after rings, mains shells, big end shells and thrust washers for an F4R..

Currently I can get a full set of rings for circa £120, mains and big end shells for circa £60, and thrust washers for around £15. Has anyone purchased these F4R parts or know of any supplier that may be cheaper?

Thanks.

Scoff
01-05-2011, 13:32
Foxy, King components in liverpool are pretty good. I'd say you want oe shells if your crank hasn't had a grind though. They're the only shells I've had that havn't come out looking trashed after 6 months.

f0xy
01-05-2011, 13:42
Cool.

Yeah the crank is 100% OE, never been ground. Are they open to the public or is it trade only?

Scoff
01-05-2011, 13:48
It's suposed to be trade I think but I just strolled in there one day and they wern't bothered. Only small but they seem to be able to get anything.

f0xy
17-05-2011, 17:50
Thanks Chris, been up there today and managed to get rings/shells/thrusts for a couple of quid over £100, nearly half the price of the other supplier!

Just while im thinking about it, when you have previously assembled F4's have you measured the crank float and adjusted the thrust washers to suit, or is it the case that if everything is OE just fitting them as they are is ok?

Cheers.

Rob@Backyardracing
17-05-2011, 18:25
On all our track cars we run the minimum crank float tolerance as possible to help maintain as much oil pressure to the thrust side that gets most of the grief from the clutch operation. But with the amount of miles you have done and IF the condition of the thrust you removed isnt to bad (still has its tapper on oil slots) then im sure your motor will be fine as at is just with new shells..

Oh and Kings FTW... allways use them... :)

f0xy
17-05-2011, 22:48
There were no thrusts with the block/crank rob, I got the bare block with the crank separate....both done 38k or so.

Ive got the new thrusts, but I'm not sure if I need to have them machined/sanded to fit and check the crank float with a DTI? (to which ive not even got lol)