PDA

View Full Version : Car starting problems

matt1334
08-11-2008, 17:12
i posted a thread last week regarding my fuel pump not operating. I have tried a direction feed and it works so its gotta be the live , i think. Anyway i turned the engine over and it still didnt fire. Checked thats theres a spark and there is nothing from the any of the leads and nothing from the module. This is a car which I brought and dont know that much about the history of it because i know its sounds like a immobilsser for fuel and ignition but the car does not have one. Also I have two purple wires under the bonnet which are part of the engine loom , anyone know why these are supposed to go. sorry this is long winded but any help would be good thanks matt

Mudslinger
08-11-2008, 18:00
are u getting fuel upto the carb ? can u hear the pump primming when u turn the ignition on?

matt1334
08-11-2008, 20:49
hi mudslinger
fuel is going to the carb but only when i put a direct feed to it
when i turn the engine over no spark no fuel pump???????

James5
08-11-2008, 20:50
Have you checked the relay beside the AEI??

Get some pics up of the purple wires?

Shane P
08-11-2008, 21:47
hi mudslinger
fuel is going to the carb but only when i put a direct feed to it
when i turn the engine over no spark no fuel pump???????

Sounds like you need a new TDC sensor :)

matt1334
08-11-2008, 21:57
cheers lads i will check that in the morning. the purple wires on my old 5 went to what looked like a green tube with to connectors right by the bulk head near to the aei.

Shane P
08-11-2008, 22:01
cheers lads i will check that in the morning. the purple wires on my old 5 went to what looked like a green tube with to connectors right by the bulk head near to the aei.

Its part of the antiperc fan wiring, you can remove it if you no longer have the fan :)

Sparkie
08-11-2008, 22:01
Have you checked the relay beside the AEI??

i mentioned this in the last thread. easy to check, probably the first and cheapest thing to check too....but does anyone listen.....oooooh noooo.:coffee:

matt1334
08-11-2008, 22:06
thx again lads i will let you know how i go on thanks

matt1334
09-11-2008, 17:06
ok after all day in the rain i changed the relay next to the aei , and that sorted the fuel pump and spark, however tried to start and it backfires now and then but just sounds like the timing is out, could this be the tdc sensor?
please help this is doin my head in now...............

Guybrush
09-11-2008, 17:24
ok after all day in the rain i changed the relay next to the aei , and that sorted the fuel pump and spark, however tried to start and it backfires now and then but just sounds like the timing is out, could this be the tdc sensor?
please help this is doin my head in now...............

if the tdc sensor had gone, you wouldn't even get a spark.

if the tdc sensor has become faulty then its possible.... but i don't think thats very likely. Have you got another AEI you can try to rule that out?

matt1334
09-11-2008, 17:37
thx for the reply gorden , i do have another i could try, how could this effect it if im getting a spark?

Guybrush
09-11-2008, 17:43
thx for the reply gorden , i do have another i could try, how could this effect it if im getting a spark?

the AEI controls the ignition timing, your saying your getting a spark, so the tdc sensor looks fine... and you reckon the problem is the ignition timing, so i'd try another AEI to rule it out :)

matt1334
09-11-2008, 17:50
thx gordon il try that .

Sparkie
09-11-2008, 18:55
id check that you've got your plug leads on the right way first.....

matt1334
09-11-2008, 19:35
checked that thx sparkie.

matt1334
11-11-2008, 11:01
ok folks still struggling
changed the relay next to the aei that sorted the sparking and fuel issue
checked leads on correctly
checked for spark which is present
checked fuelin thats ok
changed the aei for one that works
changed the tdc for a known working one.

still no joy

what next ?????

UNICRONICUS
11-11-2008, 11:49
Has the distributor been moved since owning the car? It could be out by a few teeth... Also check your valve clearances.

Sparkie
11-11-2008, 11:51
turn the engine with a 19mm spanner till the TDC mark is visible in the observation window on the gearbox- and pistons 1 and 4 are at the top of the stroke.
take the dizzy cap off. the rotor arm should point towards the radiator.
then make sure you have the leads on the correct way- do not follow haynes.
1-3-4-2

sparkplug 1 is closest to the water pump. 4 is closest to the gearbox.

attach sparkplug lead 1 to the dizzy cap port closest to the rocker cover. then going clockwise 1- 3- 4- 2.

then pull off the carb top.

turn the car over whilst spraying deordorant down into the carb.

it will start.

if it backfires, out the carb top suspect the cam is 180 deg out. or the leads are still the wrong way round.

if it starts and dies (after the deordorant has run out) then the fuel is not getting to the carb or from the carb into the engine. - pull off the fuel pipe off the carb and crank the car over- fuel should come spilling out. if it doesnt then suspect fuel filter blockage, fuel pump knackered or fuel reg blocked. if it does come spilling out then suspect a knackered float chamber jet or crud in the carb.

matt1334
11-11-2008, 11:54
ok thx back outside i go, at least it aint raining thx again

Guybrush
11-11-2008, 12:12
turn the engine with a 19mm spanner till the TDC mark is visible in the observation window on the gearbox- and pistons 1 and 4 are at the top of the stroke.
take the dizzy cap off. the rotor arm should point towards the radiator.
then make sure you have the leads on the correct way- do not follow haynes.
1-3-4-2

sparkplug 1 is closest to the water pump. 4 is closest to the gearbox.

attach sparkplug lead 1 to the dizzy cap port closest to the rocker cover. then going clockwise 1- 3- 4- 2.

then pull off the carb top.

turn the car over whilst spraying deordorant down into the carb.

it will start.

if it backfires, out the carb top suspect the cam is 180 deg out. or the leads are still the wrong way round.

if it starts and dies (after the deordorant has run out) then the fuel is not getting to the carb or from the carb into the engine. - pull off the fuel pipe off the carb and crank the car over- fuel should come spilling out. if it doesnt then suspect fuel filter blockage, fuel pump knackered or fuel reg blocked. if it does come spilling out then suspect a knackered float chamber jet or crud in the carb.

comp-re-hensive :D
if your car doesn't start after that lot, then you need to phone up the breaker :p

matt1334
11-11-2008, 13:15
hey fella
ITS ALIVE

and it was so simple

thanks for all your help, on closer inspection the distributor had a little play in it, so i removed it and spun it 180 degrees
the lil beast kicked in first time

if only you could see the smile on my face
thanks again fellas

Mart
11-11-2008, 13:25
The cap? It should have a notch that locates it to the dizzy body.