PDA

View Full Version : JB3 Gearbox Input shaft bearing replacement?

James5
26-04-2011, 11:55
Anyone ever replaced a JB3 gearbox input shaft bearing themselves? as per title I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so how hard is it todo and any advice?? Also does anyone have the renault guide for stripping and torque settings for the JB3 gearbox?

I am fearful that I will just end up buying another gearbox that has the same problem or worse. The gearbox I have is in good condition other than the death rattle PLUS noise on idle (not clutch bearing as new putting this down to input shaft bearing).

Trying to keep my options open?

Logg
26-04-2011, 13:28
Think I'm in the same boat death rattle from the box I'm on my 2nd one too. :'( would be good to find a solution.

SCHWARTZ
26-04-2011, 16:37
No more 5k launches for you two then:laugh: there were a couple on the bay bay that went for 99p that I were watching but way up north.:rolleyes:

James5
26-04-2011, 16:57
No more 5k launches for you two then:laugh: there were a couple on the bay bay that went for 99p that I were watching but way up north.:rolleyes:

:laugh: Up North I class you as up North from me Gary, all the bargains are up north because no one wants to go up there:scared::laugh:

andybond
26-04-2011, 16:59
:laugh: Up North I class you as up North from me Gary, all the bargains are up north because no one wants to go up there:scared::laugh:

Oi! I live up north. We aren't like you LOADSA MONEY shandy drinking southerners who flash cash. ;)

We are too busy drinking our bitter wi whippets to do that...

Markey Mark (BD)
26-04-2011, 17:13
With all the time spent changing box's for secondhand ones all time why not just bit the bullet and have one rebuilt so then you know its good for long time.
Doesn't cost much at all.

James5
26-04-2011, 17:15
With all the time spent changing box's for secondhand ones all time why not just bit the bullet and have one rebuilt so then you know its good for long time.

How much do rebuilds cost roughly then??

Markey Mark (BD)
26-04-2011, 17:37
How much do rebuilds cost roughly then??

I got my local place to do my last 2, cost me £200 to have them done each

James5
26-04-2011, 17:43
I got my local place to do my last 2, cost me £200 to have them done each

Looks like some google searches for me tonight:D

Fordy
26-04-2011, 18:44
if you can get the bearing off the shaft and the numbers are stamped into the bearing any local bearing supplier should be able to get them :agree:

Brigsy
26-04-2011, 18:45

I agree, i have bought a few cheap gearboxes & they never last that long, one only lasted 5 miles! was talking to Glen (hi5) about this at the weekend and next one that goes on me will get a rebuild.

Matt Cole
26-04-2011, 23:31
Fit another gearbox off something else!:D