PDA

View Full Version : Expansion cap

5 turbo
25-04-2011, 11:39
Morning gents jus a quickie an probably stupid question but does the header tank lid release pressure from the bottle/cooling system??Just trying too rule out a fault...
Cheers all for any advice;)

Jonny5
25-04-2011, 22:35
Morning gents jus a quickie an probably stupid question but does the header tank lid release pressure from the bottle/cooling system??Just trying too rule out a fault...
Cheers all for any advice;)

IIRC it has a built in pressure release valve which once the system builds to the said pressure it will vent. There are two types of cap for GT brown an blue both have different pressure release points and its important the correct one is fitted.

5 turbo
26-04-2011, 09:59
Thankyou for the response fella;)

My cap is yellow?? And i've also noticed that the header tank only has one feed hole for water to be poured in,,,when other owners cars have two feeds in top of header tank:crap::confused:

If it helps it a G-plate so phase too...New rad/matrix/82c stat/manual/fan/everything brand new(complete engine)an im getting mayo/an higher than normal temp readings....Praying its jus the head gasket bein wack an not a crack:scared::(:sad2::rolleyes::cry:

Jonny5
26-04-2011, 10:47
The yellow cap will be a non genuine one get a proper blue one fitted a member on here sells them for £7 delivered look in the group buys section then do a compression check to see if your head gasket has gone ;)

5 turbo
26-04-2011, 11:40
Your a gent;) Aint gonna bother with a comp test...film of oil in water/mayo in breathers...Got another gasket an bolts on order ,if it carrys on will av head off again get it checked:rolleyes:
Would'nt mind but thats a ket uprated set/bolts on her brand new an only 700miles old:cry:So should be a blue cap then?????That cause the pressure to build up that much then??...Coz the water level rises an drops in header tank..loses some water..NEVER hisses at me and ad a brand new pump an all:coffee:

Jonny5
26-04-2011, 12:37
Do a compression test before you strip it. Mayo in breather pipes "could" just be condensation if the cars not had a long run recently. Oil in water could be a crack in the turbo cooling jacket? Oil cooler in rad (if you run standard setup) could be cracked? When you did the hg did you disturb liner seals? Lots of things to look at first mate before stripping it all down. Blue i believe is correct for phase 2? Someone correct me if im wrong.

5 turbo
26-04-2011, 15:09
;)Cheers bud...Lots of mayo even after a long run....Engine was a complete new unit from Cgb...All i had too do was fit gasket/bolt it down/fit anciliries/an run it in:scratch:
Does puff a touch on start up(Blueie Blackie white Colour)But no smoke on overrun or anything:confused:,ticks over 95%,But noticed exhaust is sootie...no nasty ticks from bottom end or rumbles or anything nasty:scratch:
Got Gasket/bolts in post 2day...Turbo spools up lovely although not until 3k now...
Compression test hey???Gona be a long night 2night:laugh:
Oh an i pm'd the fella bout the header tank an caps so hopefully.....