PDA

View Full Version : Moving Thermostat

far4ngn
23-04-2011, 23:11
Went for a short drive to the local mall last night and noticed that the car was slowly getting hotter, it went over the second mark on the temp gauge and I couldn't hear the fan come on.

I pulled over and listened... nothing, opened the bonnet and took a look at the fan, everything looked normal. Restarted car and the temp rose again.

Looked at the radiator and it was cold, then looked at the top hose and noticed that the thermostat had moved halfway along the pipe!

I didn't risk it so phoned AA to truck me home... has this happened to anyone before? Sounds like my thermostat had failed to open and was forced along the main hose by the pressure.

Can you get it back out or will I need a new top hose sending from the UK with a 83 dgree thermostat?

Jonny5
23-04-2011, 23:20
Have you got the secondary hose clip that holds then thermostat in the correct position within the top rad hose? If you only have the one holding the hose on to the water pump then thermostat can move itself down the pipe and cause an obstruction which in turn causes the car to overheat. Which sounds to me like whats happened.

far4ngn
23-04-2011, 23:30
No secondary hose clip... will a jubilee clip do the job?

Jonny5
23-04-2011, 23:37
Yeah, perfect! Its the same size as the one that holds the top hose onto your water pump. ;)

far4ngn
23-04-2011, 23:42
Now to get the thermostat back out of the pipe...oh joy!