View Full Version : bodywork help

frano81
20-04-2011, 21:03
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

just got a raider as a project, and its a bit of a rust bucket! arent they all! well im looking to sort it right out over the coming summer/winter, but i have no experience whatsoever! can anyone recommend a good sprayshop in west yorkshire that could help me and not just pull my pants down or laugh me out the door?:)
cheers

kiwicolour
20-04-2011, 23:37
working as a sprayer in leeds/Bradford for the past 10 years youll find many bodyshops wont want to know, all the places ive worked at wont even entertain a job like a Ren 5.
i came accross this guys page a few days ago:
http://www.steve-edwards.com/ no idea who he is, but he looks the one man band type of guy that would do long projects.
Id love to help myself but its all about small quick scratches and dents for max profit for me these days!

djinuk
21-04-2011, 08:10
as above most bodyshops arnt interested and the other 45% will try to pull your pants down. My own personal advice would be to spend the time and cash to buy a welder yourself and learn, ashy sells the bumper brackets and inner sill repair panels..

Theres quite a few of us on here who have experiance with bodywork etc, so all in theres plenty of info.

the first job would be getting some pics to show exactly how bad the extent of it is.

If you feel its well out of your skill to tackle id personall maybe look at selling the project on and buying one with less/little to no rust, simply as its going to be hugely costy to fix it otherwise. (please dont take the last comment in the wrong way).

Im self taught from the ground up and have found it very enjoyable, im actually an office boy so it gives me somthing else to do at weekends.

failing that there are guys out there but your best off finding a small guy working from a unit who may take it on as a project.

frano81
21-04-2011, 15:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

thanks for that lads, i did think this was the case! i am quite good with my hands:D, so i might as well go for it! ill sort some pics out and get some opinions, it might not be as bad is im thinking. the actual shell isnt that bad, just bits of surface rust around fuel filler cap, arches and sills, ive got it jacked up to fix a fuel leak, and it just looking filthy and rusty. maybe if i clean it with somet good it might just be mostly dirt?

DaveMayGTT
21-04-2011, 17:20
Only 1 way to find out m8, my advice, be brutal. If it looks rusty give it a poke, u will soon find out how bad it is. Make sure u remove it all back to nice shiny metal. If u don't fancy welding but u do as mentioned any welder will patch it up for u.