PDA

View Full Version : Couple of small problems?

Hoolio
18-04-2011, 10:28
Driving back from the Gaydon Renaultsport meet yesterday the battery warning light flashed on a couple of times, I'm not overly worried but is there anything I should check?
Also I think one of my rear bearings is going, odd noise a couple of times going around a lefthander. Complete discs or just bearings?

James5
18-04-2011, 11:09
Make sure the 2 wires at the top of the alternator are still in place and connections good yellow and purple wires, yellow is charge feed to battery and the purple is the dash warning light.

Os8472
18-04-2011, 11:11
Check the aux belt is tensioner properly, check the bottom pulley is tight, check the wiring the alternator is tight, check the wiring on the starter

Hoolio
18-04-2011, 11:19
Good stuff hadn't thought of starter wiring.

Hoolio
18-04-2011, 19:14
All the above ok and tight as a drum. Anyone any opinions on the rear bearings? The nearside rear has a couple of mil of movement at the edge of the wheel.

Kris M
18-04-2011, 19:42
For what its worth id buy a new disk and bearing and get them pressed in....It can be tricky to press the bearings out of the old disks as you arnt able to push on the outer race of the bearing so they tend to break up when you push on the inner race:)

Gttnutter
19-04-2011, 14:29
Yep for what its worth i'd replace discs with bearings, i know a few years back you could get already pressed bearings in the discs off the shelf at the likes of gsf eurocarparts etc, not sure now though.

As for the battery light, if everything seems in order and its charging perfectly fine then maybe just a bad earth for a flicker of a few seconds.Someone i know changed the alternater,battery,replaced the main earth strap to stop there battery light flickering...only to find out this certain someone didnt tighten the alt to block bolt :ashamed:

Hoolio
19-04-2011, 19:15
Thanks peeps. It would have been nice to get to the bottom of the light but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I will try to get the bearing pushed out as the disc is better than good and I know someone who should be able to sort it.

michael tierney
19-04-2011, 21:24
i had the light flickering problem!!turned out to be the voltage regulator on the alt.the brushes wear out eventually for the feild coils!!:)

Nick k
19-04-2011, 21:33
i had the light flickering problem!!turned out to be the voltage regulator on the alt.the brushes wear out eventually for the feild coils!!:)

Yea i had the same problem, it was the regulator, there are about £12 and take 10 mins to change.

Hoolio
19-04-2011, 21:53
Cheers guys, for twelve quid I'll give that a go. Where am I likely to pick up?