PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP, headbolt rounded off.

Robclio98
15-04-2011, 20:06
BAsically i started stripping my 225 engine down today so i can rebuilt the head and put it on my 182 block, every headbolt came out apart from one, I was very very tight, the socket kept slipping so i tried the old putting a smaller size think it was E12 or E14 but no luck, then i tired using a tool which gets roudned bolts off, but its made it much worse now :( picture below

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/trebor2005/Black%20Clio/SDC11365.jpg

any suggestions how to get it out :(

Many thanks guys :)

clee
15-04-2011, 20:10
Only welding a nut on can help you now I think .

Duncan Grier
15-04-2011, 20:13
Well depending on access you could try to use something nice and sharp - old chisel etc to try to knock a groove and use the vibration and force of hammer to start it moving - suspect most / any stud extracting type tools will not get it out if is has not with the other ones. Other option to weld a bolt or something on there to try angain an d the heat should also help

DG

clee
15-04-2011, 20:32
Not enough meat/diameter left I fear to try the chisel route,you won't get enough rotational force .Heat from the weld will help free it off :agree:Failing that only option is to grind the bolt head off to remove head then have at the bolt again .

Ashy
15-04-2011, 20:51
if it were me I would probably (very carefully) drill the head of the bolt off, then remove the head. Once you release the tension off the bolt it will probably just screw out by hand. Musta been tight tho to round off one of those bolt heads!

Robbo
15-04-2011, 21:02
if it were me i would think fukc it and go to the shop for a few beers, then have another go at it tomorrow.

Duncan Grier
15-04-2011, 21:08
if it were me i would think fukc it and go to the shop for a few beers, then have another go at it tomorrow.

Lot to be said for that option and what has been hrs of pain in the dark of the night only to be 10mins work in the morning

;)

Matty.B
15-04-2011, 22:00
if it were me I would probably (very carefully) drill the head of the bolt off, then remove the head. Once you release the tension off the bolt it will probably just screw out by hand. Musta been tight tho to round off one of those bolt heads!

I agree, in work we often have to remove sheared studs. Drill the head off the bolt, if the stud is still tight we place a washer over it then grinde the remaining off (washer gives you a flat without damaging the machined surface). We then use a centre punch, mag base drill and slowly enlarge the drill bit size, the last bits of remaining thread can be removed using a pick.
This method does work but will take time, and make sure your centre punch mark is in the centre.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
15-04-2011, 22:08

:-)

Gibbo69
15-04-2011, 23:26
Weld another bolt on and screw off ... works a treat on wheel bolts aswell :D

Robclio98
16-04-2011, 09:02
cheers guys, in the end of throw tool across the yard i gave up and went for some beers, spose i gotta try n drill it out now as i dont have a welder :(

cheers :)

Gibbo69
16-04-2011, 09:37
I would be careful drilling out ... you dont want loads of sh1t in the head or the engine :)

Surely a members lives local that can help this guy out with a welder ?

Gibbo:agree:

Robclio98
16-04-2011, 22:10
Cheers for all the advice guys, it took 3 hours of very careful drilling but i got it out, just gotta take it into work nwo and give ti a good blasting to get the **** off it lol.

cheers.

Tony Walker
16-04-2011, 22:21
Might be worth pulling the sump off and giving it a good clean out, you can gaurantee some of that swarf will of descended.

raider_gtt
16-04-2011, 22:23
if you have a mini grander take the head off just be vary carefull then get the bolt out when the head is free off the engine