PDA

View Full Version : Renault 5 vag gear-box problems

minty83
13-04-2011, 20:12
After a fault-less weekend at pcd and a couple of days commuting to work the car ran fine withoout any problems....untill tonight.
No noises or pre warnings the car popped out of gear, i pulled over and checked the car to see if anything had come loose, i couldnt see anything. I can select gears from inside the car and under the bonnet by using my hand using the selector on the top of the box but when in all gears and reverse you lift your foot of the clutch it has no effect:confused: So from what i can gather its selecting gear but not engauging the gearbox?
Any suggestion to what the problem could be before the engine and box comes out?

Tony Walker
13-04-2011, 21:24
driveshafts ok?

Tony Walker
13-04-2011, 21:26
i kno on the renault boxes they like to chew the splines and pop the diff circlip out, not too sure on the vags tho. the driveshaft bolts are forever coming loose tho.

Scoff
13-04-2011, 22:47
Yeah, not split that other shaft has it ? Duncan broke one of the temporary-ish ones and had a fancy one done for the n/s, I have no idea if he ever put something better into the o/s.

Duncan Grier
14-04-2011, 08:53
Chris I only ever replaced the broken one with the fancy S155 steel jobbie - its teh shorter one ;)

Any noises? I could hear a slight grinding when I snapped the shaft but easy to see if you have a close look.

DG

minty83
14-04-2011, 17:37
Chris I only ever replaced the broken one with the fancy S155 steel jobbie - its teh shorter one ;)

Any noises? I could hear a slight grinding when I snapped the shaft but easy to see if you have a close look.

DG
no theres no noises havent had a propper look as iv been working but at quick glance both shafts look intact

J$£5GTT
14-04-2011, 19:21
what were we talking about mate..things in three's....:crap:
anyway dude check this..a poss?

http://www.btinternet.com/~a_hutton/VW_Gearbox_Failure.htm

cracked/sheared rivet on differential...?....:confused:
:)

minty83
17-04-2011, 13:53
Had the car up the stands today the drive shafts look intact, whilst the cars running you can quit easily put it into any gear but theres still no drive to the wheels????

Adey aka Ewok
17-04-2011, 15:18
got to be a diff problem if it engages gear but doesnt drive?

reco
18-04-2011, 07:49
it could be possible the clutch has separated its friction plate from the rest of it ?
would cause no drive at the wheels

minty83
21-04-2011, 14:43
we have a winner!! these seems to be the problem :scared:
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=15843
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=15844
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=15845

Bigfoot
21-04-2011, 15:02
Nice :eek: couple of cable tyres and electrical tape it will be put back together no time :D

J$£5GTT
21-04-2011, 19:42
cool man...or not..but excuse for a nice new clutch,whats going back in though,whats the choice with the vag's?....

minty83
22-04-2011, 00:19
cool man...or not..but excuse for a nice new clutch,whats going back in though,whats the choice with the vag's?....
with a few months till nationals im thinking i might not just rush into replacing the clutch as the cars not used everyday and source a new bigger spec lump :cool: wish i never sold the clio now altho almost 500 bhp in a fwd track car would have been a tad extreme:scratch:

J$£5GTT
23-04-2011, 23:07
with a few months till nationals im thinking i might not just rush into replacing the clutch as the cars not used everyday and source a new bigger spec lump :cool: wish i never sold the clio now altho almost 500 bhp in a fwd track car would have been a tad extreme:scratch:

maybe worth a look around,bound to be some v'dubs out there with engines forsale just like the 5's..and with what your after a lump with monies spent on it...bahn brenner an jabba sport this an that...:)

minty83
23-04-2011, 23:36
Been searching hi and low , at first thought I assumed there would be loads of modded vag 20v 's but I can't even find 1:sad2:

J$£5GTT
24-04-2011, 00:20
maybe you could mod your present engine along the lines of the clio you had?..

but if it had lightened everything then going to cost...£££'s..

unless it was a low comp engine with just a larger turbo an custom map..?
is yours the agu?,if so then you already have the big valve head i think,if not
try to source that code,at least you will have a spare engine just in case..

minty83
24-04-2011, 01:19
In one sense I'd like to build this engine up but you get so much more for you money for something that's already complete..