PDA

View Full Version : Bigdurs little car

bigdur
12-04-2011, 19:57
Right then, picked up my first ever 5 last Saturday and since I've been planning/scheming what jobs to do. I'm on the lookout for a standard grill and another black bumper. Also toying with the idea of a carbon boot and bonnet.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/b.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/d.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/g.jpg

First things first, my knee kept interfering with the windscreen wiper stalk so I've chopped it off. Mileage doesn't clock up on the dash and the oil level/pressure gauge is dead too.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/i.jpg

Door cards have been butchered so I'll need to source some nice standard ones.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/f.jpg

I don't plan on fitting a stereo so I thought I'd plug the hole with some gauges, Air/fuel, Boost and Oil pressure (mechanical). Got these on order and waiting for delivery. Unfortunately this bracket I got today from ebay is a flimsy piece of ****. :crap:
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/h.jpg

I've ordered a standard clock to pop back in here, might need a new boost gauge too as this only goes up to 20psi. :D
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/e.jpg

I need to do something about my seats, they're knackered to start with, that and they're too high, don't go back far enough and I'm over their designed weight limit lol.
Carb needs a strip and re-build, jetting to suit my engine/boost requirements.
Finally the body work needs sorting, I'm pretty sure I'll need to sort the sills and various other bits and bobs all round the car before I get it resprayed in black.

Ashy
12-04-2011, 20:33
looks tidy enough, should clean up nicely.

J$£5GTT
12-04-2011, 23:53
nice little black 5,looks good bud,few niggly bits to sort but no bother,get stuck in.

an watch them knees....:wasntme:

bigdur
13-04-2011, 06:50
Yea, have to say the photos do the paintwork justice, the car needs a respray. Engines good spec though, T28, ported flowed head, low com block, front mount, 285 cam etc.

spinner
13-04-2011, 08:18
Looking good mate glad you made it home safe.Sounds like you have big plans for the car already.:)

elcie
13-04-2011, 13:15
Nice, Is that johnsons18 old car then ?

spinner
13-04-2011, 14:20
Nice, Is that johnsons18 old car then ?

Yeah mate was one of my fives only got one now :cry:.

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2011, 15:22
Yea, have to say the photos do the paintwork justice, the car needs a respray. Engines good spec though, T28, ported flowed head, low com block, front mount, 285 cam etc.

Standard comp mate ;)

Once got carb back to how it should be will be good runner.

djinuk
13-04-2011, 16:41
real tidy car that mate,

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=20699

also if it interests you , the above £30 the pair .

bigdur
13-04-2011, 17:47
Well just got home from work and my 2mm needle valve and AFM have turned up, having the boss welded in the downpipe Friday so weather permitting I can start tuning/winding up the boost on the weekend. :)

Door cards look a good price, I'll have to go check the condition of my plastics though, and price up speaker grills too.

bigdur
16-04-2011, 16:26
I have a few problems today, got my afm hooked up and running 22psi I'm getting 12-12.5 on the gauge but if I boost in a gear and change up the next gear boosts for a fraction of a second then the engine seems to loose power. I can't see the afm meter go up though. I'm presuming it's because I need to drill out the 2nd stage, just strange it boosts well in the 1st chosen gear. Carb is standard apart from a 2mm needle valve. To get to 22psi I wound the boost up slowly about a psi or 2 at a time.
Next issue is idling, I've had it apart 3 times and everything is clear. The mixture screw seems to do sod all though so I've ordered a new one, on idle the afm is reading upto 18 then going off scale, cruising it reads 13.5-15.
Last issue is connection my oil pressure gauge, I can't seem to see where to connect it, I can only think this is due to having a T28 hybrid or perhaps it because I'm being dim.

Markey Mark (BD)
16-04-2011, 17:07
I have a few problems today, got my afm hooked up and running 22psi I'm getting 12-12.5 on the gauge but if I boost in a gear and change up the next gear boosts for a fraction of a second then the engine seems to loose power. I can't see the afm meter go up though. I'm presuming it's because I need to drill out the 2nd stage, just strange it boosts well in the 1st chosen gear. Carb is standard apart from a 2mm needle valve. To get to 22psi I wound the boost up slowly about a psi or 2 at a time.
Next issue is idling, I've had it apart 3 times and everything is clear. The mixture screw seems to do sod all though so I've ordered a new one, on idle the afm is reading upto 18 then going off scale, cruising it reads 13.5-15.
Last issue is connection my oil pressure gauge, I can't seem to see where to connect it, I can only think this is due to having a T28 hybrid or perhaps it because I'm being dim.

Thats just knocking into little lean on full boost mate, you'll need to take 2nd stage out little more. Its 1.2mm at moment take it out to 1.3mm.

With changing gear you saying it pulls away fine but then second later you loose all power?
Carbs not quite standard, 2nd stage is 1.2mm and a/c is 1mm, standard venturi and main jet.
As its reading lean this will explain the erratic idle, worth trying a new mixture screw although check if the bottom hasn't snapped off the old one.

On the bottom of the oil feed line you'll se the pressure switch, thats where you'll find the connections

bigdur
16-04-2011, 17:13
Ah I thought you put it all back to standard Mark, it was confusing me a bit as to why it seemed to be fueling so well on high boost, around 15psi it was reading in the 10's.
As for the oil gauge connector I'm really being dumb I think. I can see the braided line going into the top..... would a photo help? I can easily snap one.
The loss of power, it doesn't seem to want to rev past 6000 then if you change up and boot it again its like its holding back.

Where roughly do I need to be looking for this connection point?
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/a.jpg

Markey Mark (BD)
16-04-2011, 17:31
Follow the braided oil feed hose all way to union on the block then at the base you will find a pressure switch (big dome unit), thats where the wire wants to connect to.

Did you not see what the afr's were doing when it decided it didn't want to go past 6k?

bigdur
16-04-2011, 17:49
Sorry Mark, should of said it's a mechanical oil gauge. Does that matter or is the position the same?
As far as I could tell the a/f gauge didn't change, just had big hesitation. Time for beer and meat now, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Bass J
16-04-2011, 18:01
Sounds like its emptying the carb at 6k ..i had this when i borrowed reco's carb from his clio gtt ...im sure someone on here will tell you how to sort this ;)

bigdur
18-04-2011, 19:12
Good news, got the car idling great at 14.7 ish, had to clean out the idle valve a coupe of times, on boost it runs great in 4th/5th and doesnt lean out at all. The 2nd stage was already 1.3 so I went up to 1.4mm.
A couple of quick questions if you don't mind, oil pressure gauge is fitted, on tickover I get around 12.5psi, 2500rpm 40psi and 4000rpm about 46psi. Do those figures sound healthy? I do plan to change the oil and filter next weekend as I'm not sure whats in it tbh. I believe 15 or 10/40 is recommended?

Next on my worry list, on tickover if I rev the engine I get light blue smoke from the exhaust, can't notice it running and not on boost either. Thing is I had m filter off yesterday and cleaned/re-oiled it with a K&N kit. I think I may have been a bit keen re-coating the oil, could this well be the source of the smoke? It didn't do it before though I've messed with the carb a fair bit too.

bigdur
02-05-2011, 16:51
Small update, the smoke issue was a blocked breather so I've made up a catch tank, fueling is really getting there now, the car really flies and power is nice and smooth on boost, It seems I was flooding it a bit which was causing it to bog down and hesitate when boosting through the gears.

I'm not exactly sure of what psi I'm exactly running atm as my gauge only goes upto 20 and the needle goes past that! I'd say around 23-24, new 30psi unit is on order.

New air filter fitted, these are going for £40 at the moment on ebay which I thought was good value.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/ramair.jpg

I've stripped the interior right out as it wasn't the best condition, boot floor is good and solid as are the floors mainly, just a couple of small spots on the passenger floor where it looks like someone has jacked up on the pan and a reasonably large bodge-job to the drivers floor as shown below. The sills are completely shot both sides but I was expecting that so I'll be learning to weld before next years MOT!
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/floorrot.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/bootfloor.jpg

Gave the fluids a change, a bit of a worry the gearbox fluid that came out was around a litre and a half but the capacity was around 3 1/2 when I refilled it so it was a good job I changed it!

New seat and boost gauge next week then I'll go for an IanS air intake temp gauge. Still on the lookout for a roll cage if anyone fancies shifting theirs.

bigdur
15-05-2011, 09:00
Not fantastic news yesterday, I had her up on some ramps at the body shop and we took the kit and bumpers off. Not too great tbh :dearme:
Sills are badly rotten as are the rear bumper mounts, the jacking points are gone and there have been some 'repairs' near the front jacking points which my mate just shook his head at. Also needs a couple of plates to the floor pans.
For the moment I'm going to push this into the corner as I've found another rolling shell (black :)) and perhaps take a look at it when I've got more time on my hands as we're expecting our baby next week!

Priority now is working out how to do engine transplants, I'll be searching the boards for hints and tips...... One thing I've learnt from repairing old valve amplifiers, take lots of photos as it's coming apart! :D

Trevhib
15-05-2011, 09:40
Good on you, keep going :)

Btw, unless you want more headaches in the future, turn the boost down a bit so you can see what psi you are running until you get that 30psi gauge. When that arrives I wouldn't go over 22-24psi for everyday road use if you want any sort of longevity at all.

bigdur
15-05-2011, 09:47
Thanks, I've got the gauge but obviously I wont fit it till I've done the engine swop now, the car won't be used for everyday, the plan is to drive to trackdays etc and the occasional weekend spin. Once its all back together I'll probably spin down to Marks to get him to do the final carb tweaks as I still have the occasional hesitation issue.

Does a local member have a hoist by chance? Reading up, some of you make these jobs sound so easy/ :scared:

5 turbo
15-05-2011, 11:02
Shes sounds Pretty Solid fella... an its a black un,will look sweet when its done :)

Happy Mig-ing :agree:

bigdur
26-06-2011, 21:47
Some progress this weekend. :)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/g4442.jpg

bigdur
26-06-2011, 21:52
Double post

bigdur
22-01-2012, 15:12
Changed over to a T25 today and fitted my Willy wheels, anyone know where I can get center caps? I think it looks rather nice now. :)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/nice2.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/5%20Turbo/nice3.jpg

Daz5774
22-01-2012, 15:19
Looks very nice mate! I think willy wheels look great on a 5 :)

Bigfoot
22-01-2012, 15:22
Hows the T25 driving wise?

Kris M
22-01-2012, 15:35
Very nice. You can buy willy centre caps from Renault ( not cheap though ) failing that just look on ebay :)

bigdur
22-01-2012, 16:09
Cool, I'll get a price from Renault as the main dealer is only 10 minutes from me.
T25 wise the lack of lag suits me better, really good fun to drive out on the road.
I took it for a spin and was getting about 8psi boost so I wound the rod out about 10mm and tried again, 12psi this time, AFRs about 10.8-11, tried to wind it some more and the rod seems to spin on the spot now. Have I got it on it's limit?
I'm wanting about 20psi or so tbh, so not sure whether I'll need another actuator or a bleed valve. More money. :scared:
Pic of where the rod is now, any advise would be apprecfiated as always.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj263/durant24/turbot25.jpg

bigdur
22-01-2012, 18:01
Hold on, I might be being a bit daft, if the rod spins on the spot I'd need to hold it with some grips. :rolleyes:
I'll have a look tomorrow and report back but 99% sure I'm a tit.

LiamR
22-01-2012, 18:04
Love the wheels mate-they look ace :D

djinuk
22-01-2012, 18:12
Hold on, I might be being a bit daft, if the rod spins on the spot I'd need to hold it with some grips. :rolleyes:

ledgend :)

i was verhappy with my t2/t25 on 18psi mate.. :cool:

bigdur
22-01-2012, 18:15
I'm an electrician and hifi dealer mate, not a mechanic :laugh:

Penfold aka The Dealer
22-01-2012, 18:26

:agree: yeh your a tit... :D

tubbyG
22-01-2012, 18:29
thats looking awesome :smokin:

really suits the willy wheels :niceone:

bigdur
22-01-2012, 18:29
:hmmph:

Anyway it's 'you're' not 'your'. You are Raider-gtt and I claim my prize. :D

Penfold aka The Dealer
22-01-2012, 18:32
:hmmph:

Anyway it's 'you're' not 'your'. You are Raider-gtt and I claim my prize. :D

:coffee: thats my bovard face :p

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-01-2012, 21:43
car looks good bud....sure ive seen it before....;) and like that , good to see it coming along bud, keep up the good work....:)

mike r5 gtt
22-01-2012, 23:15
car looks brilliant :agree: :agree: and loving the willi wheels :smokin:

djinuk
23-01-2012, 08:02
yep i really like it with them wiliams wheels, so much im tempted to sell on my turbines.. hmm

SCHWARTZ
23-01-2012, 09:21
Cracking car matey:agree:

Gttnutter
23-01-2012, 11:26
22-24 psi on t25 :burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

bigdur
23-01-2012, 19:57
That's the plan mate, I'm going to change my fuel pump 1st as I've a feeling it's a bit tired then wind it up.

Popped into the Renault dealership today to see about Williams center caps, he told me I'd need the part number printed on the back of one. Could someone let me have it please or does anyone know if a cheap alternative will fit say off ebay?

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-01-2012, 21:15
That's the plan mate, I'm going to change my fuel pump 1st as I've a feeling it's a bit tired then wind it up.

Popped into the Renault dealership today to see about Williams center caps, he told me I'd need the part number printed on the back of one. Could someone let me have it please or does anyone know if a cheap alternative will fit say off ebay?

ill look tommorow jack on mine :)

bigdur
23-01-2012, 21:35
Great thanks, he wasn't too helpful though I suppose it was a Monday morning. :scratch:

bigdur
24-01-2012, 19:45
His holy one send me the details on the willy center caps, rang Renault and no march. :crap:
He asked for the clio number plate so i googled for an image of one and gave him that. Part found! No idea whether they will turn up gold or black though and £20 each, payment upfront. :cry:

Brigsy
24-01-2012, 21:22
Looks well mate! I miss my Williams wheels, they suit the gtt's well

bigdur
24-01-2012, 21:52
Really pleased with it now, a few jobs to do........
New Spax setup to fit
Remove gearstick and refit correct way round
Campus pulley
Campus filler
Fuel pump
Rev limiter
New Varley redtop battery to fit
Battery isolator to dash,
Some bodywork to do
Campus window winders to fit
Perspex front windows to complete the set
Rollcage door bars to paint
Clocks playing up
Carb re-build kit to do
Alarm to remove
Boost to set with possible carb tweaks
Repair/tidy up dash.
Should keep me quiet at the weekends when the weather picks up. :laugh:

bigdur
27-04-2013, 08:04
Mot time today then going to see a body shop about a few issues... Wish me luck! :D

IvanClio172
27-04-2013, 09:50
Good luck mate....let us know how you get on.

bigdur
27-04-2013, 10:49
Will do, I took it back in early Feb and it failed on handbrake and no horn which I've fixed yesterday so fingers crossed we're all good!

bigdur
27-04-2013, 13:36
The good news is it passed! :)

Brake test results were borderline though, no doubt due to lack of use, I may put 4 recon units on and be done. Can anyone recommend a supplier for new calipers?