PDA

View Full Version : Turbo help

car.crash
10-04-2011, 10:27
I fitted a brand new garett t28 to my car around 100 miles ago and it's failed on me with excessive side to side play. The turbo was fitted correctly and primed aswell and I always run a inline mocal filter to the turbo. I'm seing 40 psi oil pressure when driving but low on idle and I'm running 15w 40 oil. This is now 2 t28 turbos in under a few hundred miles so any ideas to what's causing it.

James5
10-04-2011, 10:31
I fitted a brand new garett t28 to my car around 100 miles ago and it's failed on me with excessive side to side play. The turbo was fitted correctly and primed aswell and I always run a inline mocal filter to the turbo. I'm seing 40 psi oil pressure when driving but low on idle and I'm running 15w 40 oil. This is now 2 t28 turbos in under a few hundred miles so any ideas to what's causing it.

Idle when warm you will only see about 10-15psi dependant on oil type and when driving over 3500 rpm you really want to see 45psi +.

Sounds like you have an oil pressure problem, could be knackered oil pump interna;s worn beyond limits have you conisdered putting a 5mm shim in the oil pump? should give you an extra 10psi when over 3500rpm's or get hold of sum new internals for your pump

I run a shim in my oil pump I see 55-60 psi when warm over 3500rpm's:D

I knackered a T2 hybrid on 40psi oil pressure at high rpm's was down to oil filter being used was not gtt type even though purchased thinking it was also pump internals were slightly worn so a combination of the two done me. You can remove the one way valve in the oil feed pipe (one way valve internals just unscrew out with an allen key) and that should give you about 5psi more oil pressure aswell