PDA

View Full Version : Major Lean....

Bass J
09-04-2011, 17:28
Hi folks me again :crap:

I just got an AEM AFR guage ..fitted it...got some problems with my carb.

I just got it back from mark as the previous carb had a crack in the carb base.

So fitted this new one ..had a few problems with the mixture screw and idle jet ..sorted them both now.

Now my problem is ..its leaning out off the scale when i come off the throttle ..it actually doesnt give a reading but lines like this -- --. When it does this when i come to a junction the engine dies and cuts out!. It also pops and bangs on deceleration ..sounds good but im guessing it running major lean is going to cause damage wont it?

Also on part throttle its just verging into 14's. On boost its fine ..maybe a bit rich but its jetted for 20psi and i have it at 16psi at the moment untill i sort out the idling problem.

Things ive tried -

New AEI (had one sat in my room).
Done a vaccum test with spraying the carb area with wd40 and there is none.

Ive had nothing but problems with carbs ...and ive yet to drive the car the way i want to ..has anybody got anything i can try? ..ive been out at the car all day ..and im starting to get fed up :(

Cheers

Nayls
09-04-2011, 18:23
lean when off the throttle is fine,try cleaning your idle jet and raising your idle speed to cure the stalling?

what does it idle at?

Scoff
09-04-2011, 19:18
clean the idle jet, set the mixture and make sure there are no leaks around the carb base or manifold.

Bass J
10-04-2011, 14:29
Thanks lads ...ive set the idle speed to 900. And the AFR is at between 12/13...although when i turn the mixture screw it doesnt change at all :confused: ..does it sound like i need a new mixture screw??

Ive also cleaned out the idle jet a fair few times and its still doing this :(

Ive also sprayed round the carb with wd40 for carb leaks and have found nothing yet :crap:

Any more suggestions lads?

Cheers :cooter:

James5
10-04-2011, 15:41
Thanks lads ...ive set the idle speed to 900. And the AFR is at between 12/13...although when i turn the mixture screw it doesnt change at all :confused: ..does it sound like i need a new mixture screw??

Ive also cleaned out the idle jet a fair few times and its still doing this :(

Ive also sprayed round the carb with wd40 for carb leaks and have found nothing yet :crap:

Any more suggestions lads?

Cheers :cooter:

Defo get a new mix screw it should be changing the idle mix as you turn it from lean to rich. Be worth checking the existing one has snapped the end in the carb base

Bass J
10-04-2011, 15:43
aye i replaced the screw with another one ..the old one was snapped ...think i might just get a new one in there to be safe ..afterall this could be my problem :scratch: