PDA

View Full Version : Daily Use - Practical?

tom-i
04-04-2011, 13:16
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all,

Been looking at buying a R5 GT Turbo for quite some time, and whether to keep it as a 2nd car for the weekends or use it as my daily has been playing on my mind.

Are they practical enough to use daily? I know several things determine this, such as use (which for me will consist of driving around town and to work, and the odd trip up the country to shows like FCS) and also whether the car is reliable, again down to me to find a good'n!

Any advice from anyone using it daily, or even for a bit of fun appreciated!

andybond
04-04-2011, 13:56
I use mine as a daily.

Its neither practical or reliable.

However its great fun for the time it is working ..

tom-i
04-04-2011, 14:28

Thanks andy I admire your honest reply :agree:

Bigfoot
04-04-2011, 15:04
These are 20 year old cars so anything which hasn't had an easy life or getting to the end of its time will fail. A well looked after car will keep on driving, I had one which had 160k miles on the clock which drove me to and from uni (90 mile round trip) for 6 months and only a split radiator stopped me going on day. on the other hand another one I had every week something new went wrong, but gradually replacing all those parts it kept going. So finding the right one which has had a lot of things replaced or look at replacing items as they show up as doing lots of miles will show them quickly.

benj88
04-04-2011, 17:32
Mine is used as a daily, Just gota look after them really keep an eye on everything. If there's a problem it's best to sort it before it gets worse. Had a few minor problems with mine but there old cars theres always guna be parts that need replacing now and then, since the rebuild it should be spot on.

dangerous dave
04-04-2011, 17:44
i used mine everyday for about 20k and it was great as i always kept on top of everything.. new loom, bushes, brakes, engine gasket set etc etc etc and some tinkering kept it going with no break downs or any reason to take it off road for more than a weekend.. 12-15psi set up..

all the ground work was put into the car over a few years and now it runs more power without fault in the hands of another member.. 18psi:)

if you buy something thats not had any done you'll end up doing it.. buy one thats a well sorted car and you'll find very little to do unless you break it yourself:D

im putting a lot of time and money into my new 5, so will i trust it as a daily, f*ck yeah i would.. will i use it as a daily? f*ck no, its gonna owe me alot of money so its going in the garage where its safe from tw@ts and robbing cnuts..:wasntme:

markey b
04-04-2011, 17:52
my raider i had for a year, did 10k and it never 'broke down' on me.

had to replace wear parts but you would with any car. just check levels couple of times a week and jobs a good'un

i drove it hard daily too, running a bar of boost and cut slicks :devil:

J$£5GTT
04-04-2011, 18:00
just use it!!!,if it fails an likely it will just fix the problem an on your way,your soon learn how and what to keep your eye on an how to mend her up,if you cant stand the heat then break it up....:wasntme:

Ron
04-04-2011, 20:23
I used my old one for three years with about 14k a year. I only had problems that happens to any old car. New ones a pain different problem every week! You just need to find a good one :)

old skool turbo power
04-04-2011, 20:41
Mine is used as a daily, Just gota look after them really keep an eye on everything. If there's a problem it's best to sort it before it gets worse.

:agree:dont drive the hell outta it,let it warm up propley and cool down some time and effort and you should be ok:)

Tony Walker
04-04-2011, 22:43
I drive mine everyday to work and its a dual carriageway with about 5 sets of lights on it, wastes so much fuel but.. great fun every day. ive never had a situation where the car wouldnt run or get me to/from where i was going, ive replaced pretty much everything. best to carry a spare alternator belt with you.

Tony Walker
04-04-2011, 22:44
just to add.. raj's looks a very good value deal!

tom-i
05-04-2011, 13:38

Thanks for all the responses, just as I expected really, things will need replacing so either do it yourself or find one already done!

benj88
05-04-2011, 17:06
:agree:dont drive the hell outta it,let it warm up propley and cool down some time and effort and you should be ok:)

That's the one fella :agree: I always do that.

Josie172cup
05-04-2011, 17:29
I find im fixing something new everytime i use it and when i can use it i ge less than 20mpg
but when it does decide to work... :burnrubber::burnrubber::laugh::D:D:D
saying that i think i know why i only get 20mpg and its constantly ****ed :rolleyes: