PDA

View Full Version : 5 GT Turbo Front Coil Springs

Sibob
03-04-2011, 18:33
First post!

Hi all, just joined the club today, i'm based in Worcestershire and have a totally standard 1991 5 GT Turbo in White, i wondered if anybody can help me, i'm looking for a pair of Renault front coil springs for my 1991 5 GT Turbo preferbly part number 6001009052, these would have Green & Grey blobs of paint on the spring. I've been in touch with Renault and they can no longer supply 5 GT Turbo springs just Campus ones.:confused:
My car failed it's MOT on a cracked coil spring so I bought some non Renault springs from GSF but unfortunately they make the front end sit to high so if anybody has any spare springs the want to sell or has any other ideas how to keep my 5 as original looking as possible please get in touch.

Cheers Simon.

J$£5GTT
03-04-2011, 18:37
im sure there are folk on here that can help mate,not hard to get hold of if you that needy.....gt turbo spare.....cgb....no bother.

an most aftermarket uprated springs are only say at a guess minus 35/40mm so not going to make huge difference on you 5's looks..imo..
:)

Bigfoot
03-04-2011, 19:57
Dont get me started with front springs :cry: put my new ones on place which the supplier said is lower. Dont think new springs and shocks are helping my situation though, but going to put 13" alloys with right tyre size and hope it lowers the front end down. Had a kayaba springs and now got sachs on there. Else might be going for 3rd time time lucky and try and get the front end down some, Mike managed to source some GT Turbo front springs, think he was saying in the region of £100 a side.

Ian S
08-05-2011, 12:26
Dale mainly, why not just get custom made springs?

It was a few years ago but I paid £50 for the pair. I specified the open length and spring weight. I calculated the drop based on the weight on each front wheel.

The first set were £35 and about 175lb per inch. Was standard height, about 12mm higher that intended.

Second set, £50, were 250lb per inch and estimated the height right that time.

old skool turbo power
08-05-2011, 23:17
First post!

Hi all, just joined the club today, i'm based in Worcestershire and have a totally standard 1991 5 GT Turbo in White, i wondered if anybody can help me, i'm looking for a pair of Renault front coil springs for my 1991 5 GT Turbo preferbly part number 6001009052, these would have Green & Grey blobs of paint on the spring. I've been in touch with Renault and they can no longer supply 5 GT Turbo springs just Campus ones.:confused:
My car failed it's MOT on a cracked coil spring so I bought some non Renault springs from GSF but unfortunately they make the front end sit to high so if anybody has any spare springs the want to sell or has any other ideas how to keep my 5 as original looking as possible please get in touch.

Cheers Simon.

had the same prob with my springs as well i thought id get away with just painting them up but my one spring seemed to lost a bit one spring was bit longer than the other:(.in the end i bit the bullet and went to euro car parts from new £93 it cost me though:eek:seemed the olny place where to get them

Bigfoot
08-05-2011, 23:39
Dale mainly, why not just get custom made springs?

It was a few years ago but I paid £50 for the pair. I specified the open length and spring weight. I calculated the drop based on the weight on each front wheel.

The first set were £35 and about 175lb per inch. Was standard height, about 12mm higher that intended.

Second set, £50, were 250lb per inch and estimated the height right that time.

Sounds like I may have to do some investigating on that to find some companies which can design a spring for me then :) sounds an easier option but like you say just trying to find the right spec for them might be the difficult part.

Ian S
09-05-2011, 00:01
Well it's about 600lb over each wheel.

200 lb per inch spring rate means they drop about 3 inches.

I measured the original springs rate by measuring their open length then compressed length with someone standing on one.

It all worked out to about 8 1/2 inches open length for the 250 lbs per inch for a 25mm drop.

Or something like that. It was nearly 12 years ago and I've forgotten the exact details.

Big Jim got them for me via some he knew at Burton Performance in Ilford.