PDA

View Full Version : PC Virused to death, need help!

Bruce - BHPerformance
03-04-2011, 17:57
My main PC is all of a sudden virused up to death.
I can't open any internet pages as it says explorer 8 is virused and can't run any programs.
Tried downloading avg 2011 free and transfering it from my laptop but it won't run properly. Installer starts to open then just disappears.
It seems vista security has taken over and shut everything down. 33 viruses are showing from the scan.
Can anyone help?

Shane P
03-04-2011, 18:04
My main PC is all of a sudden virused up to death.
I can't open any internet pages as it says explorer 8 is virused and can't run any programs.
Tried downloading avg 2011 free and transfering it from my laptop but it won't run properly. Installer starts to open then just disappears.
It seems vista security has taken over and shut everything down. 33 viruses are showing from the scan.
Can anyone help?

As far as i can remember http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=1775 use to offer this kind of PC fixing service :)

Bruce - BHPerformance
03-04-2011, 18:17
Maybe but he hasn't been online for a while so can anyone else help?

andybond
03-04-2011, 18:58
I can !

Try booting you machine into safe mode ( restart / start machine press f8 just before you see the windows boot logo and choose safe mode.

Try and install your av, or run an av scanner if you already have one.

car.crash
03-04-2011, 19:00
try some calpol mummy says its good.

Bruce - BHPerformance
03-04-2011, 19:07
Thanks for that Marc!

Tried it in safe mode. Allows it to start but now asking for server, port, username and password for the internet connection.

Bigfoot
03-04-2011, 20:00
Hey Bruce, if you want I can sort you out the PC if you want to send it here, or can talk over the phone in sorting it out, but some many different virus' have different ways of clearing them up. not free tonight to talk about it unless its going on 9:30 to 10

Bruce - BHPerformance
03-04-2011, 20:10
You are a star as usual Dale.

Text me when you are free and I will call you back.

Bruce - BHPerformance
03-04-2011, 23:07
SORTED!

Dale aka bigfoot is a star as usual.

Vista security IS the virus.

Bigfoot
03-04-2011, 23:18
No problem mate, glad your computer is all up and working now.

c7borg
04-04-2011, 10:24
If you don't play windows games on it, try moving to ubuntu or something simular.. you'll never have to worry about a virus again.. and for the most part it'll be quicker :)

Trevhib
04-04-2011, 10:34
If you don't play windows games on it, try moving to ubuntu or something simular.. you'll never have to worry about a virus again.. and for the most part it'll be quicker :)

What are 'windows games'?

Heard of ubuntu. Wouldn't mind switching if I knew what to expect and what it will and wont do in relation to the way my machine works now.

I never use my laptop for games beyond Tardis Tennis on the BBC website when I'm bored: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/tardis_tennis/default.stm :D

I use my machine for heavy internet usage mainly for stocks/shares, which includes trading platforms, flash appelets, charting software etc. Plus the use of torrents occasionally. Also, for Word/Excel use.

Any advice on ubuntu?

Ian S
04-04-2011, 12:48
Any advice on ubuntu?I think you'd have to move to Open Office and FireFox instead of any Microsoft products.

You'd have to find out if all of the 3rd party applications and tools/applets you use are available to work with Ubuntu Linux.

The new Bill J
04-04-2011, 14:02
Vista security IS the virus.

I've had that one a couple of times. It's a right fecker :mad:

Bigfoot
04-04-2011, 14:34
I've had that one a couple of times. It's a right fecker :mad:

Have had to remove that virus or of similar named ones over dozen times from peoples computers :( most annoying one I have come across is when you cant do anything as whatever you click including ctrl + alt + del it says its a virus :smashpc::smashpc::smashpc:

mike r5 gtt
06-04-2011, 23:54
my laptop has just kicked me out of everything and frozen!so after a turn off then on all i get is a "microsoft "window open saying its scanning for viruses then virus found and click to continue which is a fee...

it wont let me connect to the internet or even run a scan from my anti-virus system.
i dont even have a microsoft anti-virus??

is this similar to what others have had ????????

Bigfoot
07-04-2011, 07:05
They go by different names but all do the same sort of thing. Download malwarebytes and rkill on another computer. Run rkill on the infected one then install malwarebytes. Go into safe mode on reboot by pressing f8 on bootup. You may need to run rkill again but then run a quick scan with malwarebytes and it will pick up the virus that's how have removed all of them in the past when people get this virus

Robbo
07-04-2011, 07:31
my laptop has just kicked me out of everything and frozen!so after a turn off then on all i get is a "microsoft "window open saying its scanning for viruses then virus found and click to continue which is a fee...

it wont let me connect to the internet or even run a scan from my anti-virus system.
i dont even have a microsoft anti-virus??

is this similar to what others have had ????????

this piece of $hit virus screwed my works computer yesterday whilst i was looking at photobucket, had to get the it dept to sort it in the end. as dale says my computer now has malwarebytes installed, gonna be doing this to my home pc tonight too

BriC
07-04-2011, 08:13

Ubuntu ftw! :agree:

You can run a lot of windows programs too using WINE (not the girls drink)

mike r5 gtt
08-04-2011, 22:50
They go by different names but all do the same sort of thing. Download malwarebytes and rkill on another computer. Run rkill on the infected one then install malwarebytes. Go into safe mode on reboot by pressing f8 on bootup. You may need to run rkill again but then run a quick scan with malwarebytes and it will pick up the virus that's how have removed all of them in the past when people get this virus

bigfoot you are an absolute legend :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:
i have a laptop again:D:D
i owe u a very large beer
thanks for the amazing advice

Bigfoot
08-04-2011, 23:24
bigfoot you are an absolute legend :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:
i have a laptop again:D:D
i owe u a very large beer
thanks for the amazing advice

Glad to have helped you out and definately won't turn down a drink :) weekend started Thursday and enjoying a lot of drink and BBQ what more can you ask for