PDA

View Full Version : snapped the end of the speedo sensor in gearbox

djinuk
02-04-2011, 10:22
ok , just been cleaning up a gearbox and when pulling the speedo sensor our, the brittl plastic snapped and left a few mm in the gearbox, i tried everything but could get it out however eventually it puched through into the gearbox..

Now ive not seen the end of these sensors but i presume they are primarilly plastic, do you think this would cause any problems for the gearbox??

also when i look through the hole all i see is cogs and things, how exactly do these things read your speed, whats the chances ive damaged anything??

eek worried

Os8472
02-04-2011, 10:24
Did the internals of the sensor come out or did they drop into the box aswell?

djinuk
02-04-2011, 11:28
ermm well i didnt see anything, basically i was wigging with witha pair of grips and then it snapped.

here a pic of the cable , a little bit more dropped on the floor but the rest dropped in the box , wondering whether to fill the box with used engine oil and let it drain out to try get most out.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/IMG_0668.jpg

raider_gtt
02-04-2011, 12:14
O dear o dear

Adam 005
02-04-2011, 13:59
you have two options.
option 1= The correct way would be to split the gearbox and remove the offending item.

option 2= Fit new speedo pick up put car on axel stands start it up and run it thourgh the gears and hope it's fine.

djinuk
02-04-2011, 14:47
O dear o dear

helpfull as ever there.. ;)

I may split the box, eekkk , just scary stuff pulling gearboxes apart i feel, do you have to seal them when it comes to fitting them back together ?

djinuk
02-04-2011, 16:51
hmm , just started unbolting it, but then got put off so quickly popped it back togther.. Decided ill just get another, i would usually try it however my projects pushed for time anyway and i wont really have time for things to go wrong.

Ill just sell it cheap and a new buyer can either risk it or strip it down.

gimme5
02-04-2011, 17:14
Now then same thing happened to my mate don't worry he just jacked it up run the car in gear for a while changed oil he's had no probs since and done 18000 miles

raider_gtt
02-04-2011, 18:30
helpfull as ever there.. ;)

I may split the box, eekkk , just scary stuff pulling gearboxes apart i feel, do you have to seal them when it comes to fitting them back together ?

Shame ! Shame ! shame !

Having never had this problem I can't say the best way round it or I would have said in order to fix the problem!

LYNCHSTAR
02-04-2011, 19:42
i had one that snapped aswell i just left it and took a gamble its been fine ever since

Sparkie
03-04-2011, 00:18
i had a driveshaft once shed its roller bearings onto the gearbox. it ground them up into minute particles. the box was fine.
the plastic end of a sensor will be easily ground into a sludge....

J$£5GTT
03-04-2011, 00:21
i had a driveshaft once shed its roller bearings onto the gearbox. it ground them up into minute particles. the box was fine.

im sure it will make mince meat of it...:D if that makes sen 'sir'....:wasntme:

tubbyG
03-04-2011, 00:35

exact same happened to mine....unfortunatley the box was not so lucky!
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1251&pictureid=14247

the gearbox surprisingly made it the 10miles home...but what a racket it made with no lubricant:laugh:

Woznaldo
03-04-2011, 13:40
Is it just me or is there something strangely satisfying to see a bit of mechanical carnage? I can't look but, I can't look away either?

Or have I said too much.....................:devil:

J$£5GTT
03-04-2011, 18:40
Is it just me or is there something strangely satisfying to see a bit of mechanical carnage? I can't look but, I can't look away either?

Or have I said too much.....................:devil:

:laugh:....gearbox does nothing for me....cant beat a good fried piston....:devil:

Adam 005
03-04-2011, 18:46
best gear box damage i have seen was on bruces car.:eek: