PDA

View Full Version : Fan Override

Jon0
31-03-2011, 22:48
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

OK before I get shouted at, I know you shouldn't need to overide the rad fan if the cars cooling is set up right!

Well mine is actually pretty good, fan kicks in just after half way then returns the temp to half again. The reason I want to do this that I'm off to Le Mans soon and anticipate hours of sat in traffic in hot temperatures. I just want to be safe rather than sorry.

Now - I have done this before, on a previous car but can't remeber how I did it, I know that basically you have to short two of the pins on the fan relay / switch (the bulky 5 or 6 pin connection), but I can't remeber which pin numbers to bridge to kick it up and don't want to cause damage.

Any of you cleaver people happen know?

Brigsy
01-04-2011, 01:21
I went to LeMans 24hr & back in mine last year with no override mate no probs :cooter: Silly speeds fully laden in 28deg temps the gauge didnt go over half way:agree:

If the fan switch fails just bridge the terminals together with a bit of wire, will get you home..

Jon0
02-04-2011, 14:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Sweet, sound advice, thank you mate.

Did you bother with breakdown coever? Been looking and no-one will touch a 23 year old car! lol

bigdur
02-04-2011, 16:36
Get AA cover, it's the driver not the car so if you have multiple vehicles you'll be quids in!

J$£5GTT
02-04-2011, 17:02
I went to LeMans 24hr & back in mine last year with no override mate no probs :cooter: Silly speeds fully laden in 28deg temps the gauge didnt go over half way:agree:

If the fan switch fails just bridge the terminals together with a bit of wire, will get you home..

gta agree with jonny briggs...i used the have an over ride switch....the fail switch i now call it,left it on one time when i parked up,came back to flat battery..:dearme:

but just carry some wire an bridge it if need be..no bother...