PDA

View Full Version : Smoking!

andybond
31-03-2011, 16:58
Brief History :

The old engine shat its biscuits and spat oil everywhere. I have changed the block , inc water pump and cleaned up all breathers and boost hoses the best I can.

Starting it up it takes a while but there is a huge ploom of oil smoke coming out the sidey.

I have also noticed a small splattering of fresh clean oil on the floor near the sidey.

Has the knackered engine done in my turbo , or is it old crap burning out ?
I let it run for around 3 minutes before I couldnt see anything ..

Markey Mark (BD)
31-03-2011, 17:06
Did you check the turbo when you swaped it over to new engine mate? If you old engine lost oil pressure then its poss it could have knackered turbo or if water went through it too.

Or it could be tons of crap in the exhaust still

andybond
31-03-2011, 17:12
When you say checked ? What exactly do you mean ?

Checked for play in the shaft , there was some ( around 3 - 4 mm ) but nothing back to front. No obvious signs of oil in the front or rear housings.

Markey Mark (BD)
31-03-2011, 17:21
When you say checked ? What exactly do you mean ?

Checked for play in the shaft , there was some ( around 3 - 4 mm ) but nothing back to front. No obvious signs of oil in the front or rear housings.

3-4mm sounds little more than the norm to me, does it have marks on the compressor housing which look like compressor wheel has made contact?

andybond
31-03-2011, 17:23
No - not really. Looks clean and in fairly decent health.

Markey Mark (BD)
31-03-2011, 17:27
You could remove exhaust and see if it smokes then, if it does then its engine related if not its crap in exhaust.

andybond
31-03-2011, 17:28
Good point ..

Matt Cole
31-03-2011, 21:39
I used to love a good smoke :crap:

andybond
01-04-2011, 23:18
Found oil predominantly in the hotvairvside. Gallons of it. Trace amounts on the manifold.
Spazzed turbo I reckon. On the hunt for a new un.