View Full Version : extended clutch arm standard cable trouble

R5BEN
26-03-2011, 19:10
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi, any advice appreciated on this - I have the extended clutch arm soft pedal conversion with the standard clutch cable which will not work without spacing. Is there a mod i can do to shorten the cable instead of using spacers?? thanks

J$£5GTT
26-03-2011, 20:03
i have that,didnt need any washers or any special spacing....

5teve L
26-03-2011, 20:04

Hi, any advice appreciated on this - I have the extended clutch arm soft pedal conversion with the standard clutch cable which will not work without spacing. Is there a mod i can do to shorten the cable instead of using spacers?? thanks

Prob the clutch ratchet or stretched cable, can't see the arm changing anything else TBH.
I had a similar prob with the standard pedal, I had to file a couple of mm off the pedal stop, if you do a search you may find it...

J$£5GTT
26-03-2011, 20:07
i didnt have any probs with a standard arm,the fact its 'soft pedal' dont bother me,i just thought i would try it to see if it actually made the cable last longer due to less force needed to release...??...time will tell.....as it snaps tomoz...:laugh:

R5BEN
26-03-2011, 22:44
Prob the clutch ratchet or stretched cable, can't see the arm changing anything else TBH.
I had a similar prob with the standard pedal, I had to file a couple of mm off the pedal stop, if you do a search you may find it...

Thanks saw your article and was really helpful, sounds like i do not need spacers,im going to investigate the ratchet mech tmrw and get back to you all to let you know outcome,thankyou

Adam 005
27-03-2011, 09:30
i can't see why people have so many problems with clutch cables.i have run valeo clutchs for 10 years and have had my gt for 14 years and have only changed the cable twice.i think it's all down to routing cable correctly and making sure the release bearing is free of dirt and crud when refitting clutch but most important the rubber cover over the clutch arm must be in tip top condition.

This is only my opinion and there may be other reson that cause clutch cable problems.
Bet my cable snaps when i'm out in the 5 tonight :ashamed::D

GaryS
27-03-2011, 10:20
While your talking about clutch cables, what is the correct route for it?

Cheers.

Adam 005
27-03-2011, 10:55
While your talking about clutch cables, what is the correct route for it?

Cheers.
i go out the bulk head across the rear engine mount(there should be clips to hold the cable on the rear mount)then round to the chassis rail(tall clips on rail)then round thourgh hole on gear box and on to clutch arm:)

TNT ANDY
27-03-2011, 11:09

Assuming that the problem is that when (without the spacers) you cannot engage gears when fully depressing the clutch pedal and that the biting point is through the floor somewhere.

This is an age old problem and is most likely that the auto ratchet needs setting up.

I have been driving mine for 7 years with the biting point virtually on the carpet and crunching into reverse once warm.

It takes 2 people to do this :-

DO NOT HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING !!!

1. in the car upside down in the drivers foot-well having good access to the quadrant on top of the clutch pedal and........

2. one armed with a lever to move the clutch release arm.

With the cable fully installed correctly as per Haynes or good advise on here, push the clutch to the floor and have person 2 stick the lever in between the arm and the gearbox casing.

Person 1 make it so that you can see and work on the clutch pedal and quadrant.

Person 2 push the lever to mimic the action of the clutch cable being pulled by the pedal it only needs to be a little way across.

Person 1 - release the quadrant and pull the quadrant round until the slack is taken up in the cable and have person 2 release the lever.

You will need to do this a few times to get it right but it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

R5BEN
27-03-2011, 11:45
[quote=TNT ANDY;210236]Assuming that the problem is that when (without the spacers) you cannot engage gears when fully depressing the clutch pedal and that the biting point is through the floor somewhere.

This is an age old problem and is most likely that the auto ratchet needs setting up.

Hi andy thankyou that is def what i needed,check thread later for my update!, you 100% understand!!.

Adam 005 thankyou anyway, you seemed a bit aggresive are you okay matey??

This isnt as straight forward as you think so maybe you should come down and have a look, no 2 r5s are exactly the same after all these years, i wouldnt have bothered to ask rtoc members for help unless i was truly stuck, this is what this site is for,you shouldnt reply to peoples messages when you feeling wound up or aggy cos your moody know it all advice isnt needed when theres more understanding and educated people than you on here- you should read your reply again -take it easy i think matey

TNT ANDY
27-03-2011, 13:50
[quote=TNT ANDY;210236]Assuming that the problem is that when (without the spacers) you cannot engage gears when fully depressing the clutch pedal and that the biting point is through the floor somewhere.

Hi andy thankyou that is def what i needed,check thread later for my update!, you 100% understand!!.

Adam 005 thankyou anyway, you seemed a bit aggresive are you okay matey??

This isnt as straight forward as you think so maybe you should come down and have a look, no 2 r5s are exactly the same after all these years, i wouldnt have bothered to ask rtoc members for help unless i was truly stuck, this is what this site is for,you shouldnt reply to peoples messages when you feeling wound up or aggy cos your moody know it all advice isnt needed when theres more understanding and educated people than you on here- you should read your reply again -take it easy i think matey

Yup - with you there - I'll check back later - good luck.

Adam - With you also chap, in all respects. No 2 5's are the same your right. In respect to not asking for help on here, I kinda know where you're coming from, but in the main there are some really kind, knowledgeable and helpful people on here, you've got to know when someone's taking the juice and ignore it. So don't give up on the RTOC just yet.

5teve L
27-03-2011, 17:31
i go out the bulk head across the rear engine mount(there should be clips to hold the cable on the rear mount)then round to the chassis rail(tall clips on rail)then round thourgh hole on gear box and on to clutch arm:)
Did that with 2 different cables, fileing the pedal stop was the onlt thing that sorted it, it took off maybe 2 or 3mm, pressed pedal to floor, came back spot on..

Adam 005
27-03-2011, 19:03
Did that with 2 different cables, fileing the pedal stop was the onlt thing that sorted it, it took off maybe 2 or 3mm, pressed pedal to floor, came back spot on..
i think there maybe diffrent thinkness pedal stops out there aswell:confused:

actiondanuk
02-04-2011, 19:36
With regards to adam 005, my car would still be very much a project sat on my drive and not my daily runner without his help. He has re-built my carb, sorted my cable routing for the clutch and choke to name just a couple of things. Also would like to add that emails and text messages can be impersonal and misinterpreted :)

ALI 786
03-04-2011, 12:28

I agree with :agree:5teve L (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=59) :agree: Had the same problem with Soft pedal conversion with Original new cable.
Took the plastic pedal stop off & filled 2mm's off and the clutch ratchet then worked as it is supposed to and took up all the slack. PERFECT...

TNT ANDY
02-06-2011, 06:50
Update - after countless disappointments, it appears that the only way to do this is to shim a little off the stop, which is not on the bottom of the pedal as I have imagined for years. I removed the stop which is at the top of the bracket which restricts the amount of travel the pedal goes through when the clutch is being released. It is now able to raise up further allowing the ratchet to work further and pull the clutch in further.

I hope this helps - this has bugged me for a long time, and the solution is so simple.