PDA

View Full Version : engine removal

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-03-2011, 08:43
Just a quick question if i was to remove my engine gearbox would i be best to take it out for the top or to use drop the subframe with engine on? I have access to a car ramp etc & an engine crane, so whats quickest?

GTphil
24-03-2011, 08:51
Depends on what equipment you have to use, with ramps from underneath is quickest I think, from the top if you have an engine crane;) almost as long as it is short really, to be honest:)

rs250nut
24-03-2011, 08:53
Out from the top with a crane all day long.

phase i 16 v turbo
24-03-2011, 08:56
Get someone else to do it.:D BBQ day.

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-03-2011, 09:37
Well i am teachin a mechanic who got a ban from driving, have said if he des the engine swap i will chuck him a few hours... so its only costing me 4 hours of my time and abit of fuel... £15max...

He has his own garage with 2 car ramps and an engine crane, he will be taking the engine from the ghost and fitting it into the silver ph1... i just thought i would ask to see whick way people would go about doing the swap?

modfather
24-03-2011, 09:48
ive done it both ways, found it easyier taking from the bottom with subframe

djinuk
24-03-2011, 09:59
i guess the advantage from taking out the bottom is that you dont have to mess around with the engine mounts etc. this issue being you have to get the car high enough in the air to get the subframe/engine out..

Personally id remove from the top with an engine crane.

modfather
24-03-2011, 10:11
i guess the advantage from taking out the bottom is that you dont have to mess around with the engine mounts etc. this issue being you have to get the car high enough in the air to get the subframe/engine out..

Personally id remove from the top with an engine crane.

when i done mine i kept the suspension, driveshafts etc connected to the subframe, but that worked good for me as i needed/wanted to change to lot anyway

djinuk
24-03-2011, 10:20
out of intest , do you pull the car in the air with a crane, or do you drive the car onto ramps or somthing..

Ive never removed an engine from the bottom you see

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-03-2011, 10:21
That's if the subframe bolts come out ok, and don't spin the captives.

modfather
24-03-2011, 10:28
out of intest , do you pull the car in the air with a crane, or do you drive the car onto ramps or somthing..

Ive never removed an engine from the bottom you see

i held the frame in place with jacks etc and the car was aswell, undone the bolts which was a taking time as the bolts got very hot so had to keep cooling them, then once the bolts was undone i raised the car, stuck it on axle stands (high 1s) then lowered the frame and it came out ( not as straight forward as it sounds tho)

tiff_lee
24-03-2011, 12:09
2 people and straight out the top

Brigsy
24-03-2011, 12:24
Out from the top with a crane is the best way by far, no messing about. Unless the car is in exceptional conditon all the bolts holding the subframe on will be rusty as feck.

Matt Cole
24-03-2011, 13:05
Well i am teachin a mechanic who got a ban from driving, have said if he des the engine swap i will chuck him a few hours... so its only costing me 4 hours of my time and abit of fuel... £15max...

He has his own garage with 2 car ramps and an engine crane, he will be taking the engine from the ghost and fitting it into the silver ph1... i just thought i would ask to see whick way people would go about doing the swap?

Are you not doing it yourself? Why would you need to 'teach' a mechanic?:scratch:

Bigfoot
24-03-2011, 13:27
Are you not doing it yourself? Why would you need to 'teach' a mechanic?:scratch:

Chris dont like getting his hands that dirty :laugh:

Tim B
24-03-2011, 13:27
Top Easy As :D

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-03-2011, 13:40

Nah not doing it myself (Cant be ars*d to get my hands dirty), I just thought I could say people found this way the best to do it... saves him some time etc..

Mart
24-03-2011, 13:49
With the greatest of respect mate, he doesn't sound like much of a mechanic if he's asking how to remove a comparitvely small, basic engine from a weeny R5 engine bay.

Maybe you should stick to holding that 'barn day' at yours over Easter, and letting more experienced people help you swap the lump over...

Penfold aka The Dealer
24-03-2011, 13:52
With the greatest of respect mate, he doesn't sound like much of a mechanic if he's asking how to remove a comparitvely small, basic engine from a weeny R5 engine bay.

Maybe you should stick to holding that 'barn day' at yours over Easter, and letting more experienced people help you swap the lump over...

He hasnt asked, i was just going to offer advise, he had a 5 himself and had the engine out a few times... what i was thinking would it be quicker to drop the engine from the bottom and swap it over to the ph1 ie the subframe, suspension etc from the ghost..

But the eater weekend is still and option if ur plannin on doing the clutch on the evo...

Mart
24-03-2011, 13:59
I'm sure he'll be touched by your valuable input ;)

Evo clutch? Doesn't need changing yet. I was talking about in the future, if & when it needed doing...

markey b
24-03-2011, 18:33
quickest way i've found is to disconnect everything enginewise, remove alt and OSF mount completely, then take off bottom pulley, unbolt gearbox and take engine out leaving gearbox in, last time it took 45mins for 2 of us with a bit of bar and rope as we didn't have a crane

Brigsy
24-03-2011, 19:22
quickest way i've found is to disconnect everything enginewise, remove alt and OSF mount completely, then take off bottom pulley, unbolt gearbox and take engine out leaving gearbox in, last time it took 45mins for 2 of us with a bit of bar and rope as we didn't have a crane

If your taking the engine out on its own that is by far the best/fastest way:agree:

Sparkie
24-03-2011, 19:29

agreed. :agree:

JRP
24-03-2011, 19:52
That's if the subframe bolts come out ok, and don't spin the captives.

Never a truer word spoken, if the captives go south.. i have a batch of these :)

J$£5GTT
24-03-2011, 20:11

me an the M done that on the cup...
:agree:

Kris M
24-03-2011, 20:12
^^^ :agree::)

LukeRobbo
25-03-2011, 08:56
I used a scaffy bar,strap,parents and sisters boyfriend to remove my engine out the top as all my mates where busy :-) I would not recommend it.Means I can put it onto my spair galvanised subframe then remove the old one when it goes back in