PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

Jonny5
22-03-2011, 15:36
Hi guys need a little advice. My car is off for its first MOT since total rebuild next Tuesday and im unsure when to do an oil & coolant change.
Since the engine was rebuilt with new liners pistons, shells, oil pump refurb etc about two years ago its been run often but only ever been left to idle till the fan kicks in an generally to move it about on the drive. I was stupidly runnin a 1.3 main jet in my carb an the oil smelt really badly of fuel cold or warm an plugs an exhaust coked up really easily. Ive since reverted back to totally standard settings including arond 9psi boost an now she starts an idles lovely.So do i change the oil just after the MOT? or before? then leave it in the whole 500 mile running in process? or can i leave my oil as it is an change in a couple of hundred miles? Then again at about a 1000.
As for the coolant the headertank is dirty cause fresh coolant has collected all the rubbish out the pipes after rebuild. Can i leave this in till next change? or should i flush it an put in new at the same time as i do one of the above oil changes?
Thanks guys your help is appreciated.

TNT ANDY
22-03-2011, 18:00
i would imagine that after a total rebuild a new header tank with lovely fresh coolant is a must.
Oil - if it's 2 years old and watered down with petrol - change it now!!!

As a rule I change mine once a year as I never do more than 5000 miles per year and thats Fluffy's Christmas pressy from me. (not that I've had to do that in some years.)

Hope this helps.