PDA

View Full Version : Well its time to send it to the garage!!! £££

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 17:50
Well ive owned my 5 for 3 weeks now had nothing but trouble with it!!:mad: 1st i get a new fuel reg still not right then a new fuel pump still not right then a fuel filter still not right then new spark plugs still not right! then stip the carb find a spring is missing replace that still not working.....Now sounds like the starter motor is on its last legs! Now not getting any spark so the f**king thing wont even start!!! Jesus i just want to drive the f**king thing! Nothing more i can do now so its gonna have to go into a garage and get sorted! ive spent £200 on it already i'm sure the garage bills going to be HUGE to sort it out!!!:mad:

Jesus i should have bought a civic or something!!
Feel like selling it already had nothing but downs!

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 17:57
I know the starter is on its way out and not getting a spark but it did start twice today then died agian after 5 seconds so im guessing its the carb still!! tested the fuel and it filled a milk bottle in seconds so i know that all thats working! gotta be the carb but im no expert on carbs so will need somebody that knows carbs to sort it out, And prob fit a new starter while there at it and a new battery as ive now flattened this one 3 times trying to start it!!:mad:

Markey Mark (BD)
20-03-2011, 17:59
I bet mate its going to be something simple, don't give up on the car too quick ut if you are struggling may be worth letting someone else have a look.

I always find sometimes its very hard to tell what fault is reading a description of it rather than seeing it in front of me, i'm sure its one of those that needs little bit of tweeking here and there.

I know i'm prob little distance but if you wanted to drop car off here i could get it running for you mate, mor than happy to help.

john.r5
20-03-2011, 18:00
first dibs if 4 sale:laugh:

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 18:03
I bet mate its going to be something simple, don't give up on the car too quick ut if you are struggling may be worth letting someone else have a look.

I always find sometimes its very hard to tell what fault is reading a description of it rather than seeing it in front of me, i'm sure its one of those that needs little bit of tweeking here and there.

Prob is nothing but i can only do so much myself! it needs setting up properly on a rolling road etc etc...

philg
20-03-2011, 18:04
Welcome to the world of renault 5s, god they do test the patience :cry:

youngscottie
20-03-2011, 18:11
eliminate the carb first
remove the carb top and spray in some easy start while turning it over
if it starts and runs on this the ignition side is fine
theres loads of info on carbs here to save your pocket from socalled experts
(be carefull where you take your car for repair because theres a lot of people out there that know nothing about them so try and use a recommended place)

on the plus side a haynes manual and some patiance/trial n error
is all you need to work on a five
youve already bought the best tool youll need (membership on here)

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 18:11
Welcome to the world of renault 5s, god they do test the patience :cry:

I know but ive owed 5 in the past and always come back to the HELL of ownership!! i must be insane:cry:

The last one i had broke down every week! First an elecrical loom fire after 2 days then the rear suspension f**ked up then the fan came off and chewwd thu the boost hose etc etc etc....I just havnt got the patience for it anymore!! my mate just bought a starlet gt for 2k and its faultless was ment to be going out yesterday for a blast in the county side but No of couse not i own a gt turbo so it has to jst sit on the drive rotting away!! So much for cheap fun!! these things cost more than evo's to keep on the road!!:laugh::mad:

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 18:13
youve already bought the best tool youll need (membership on here)[/quote]

awww thanks! hahaha:laugh: I think im a tool for buying one!:dearme:

TNT ANDY
20-03-2011, 18:37
Hi Russel - Where's the Northern posse???

Anyone local got a carb that the young fella can try out???

BTW - there are not many garages that will touch this now.

J$£5GTT
20-03-2011, 19:03
i reckon he's not up for 5 ownership,just not hard enough....
:wasntme:

peter GT muir
20-03-2011, 19:06
:D we are gods own prototypes !!! or just mad

djinuk
20-03-2011, 19:08
I know but ive owed 5 in the past and always come back to the HELL of ownership!! i must be insane:cry:

The last one i had broke down every week! First an elecrical loom fire after 2 days then the rear suspension f**ked up then the fan came off and chewwd thu the boost hose etc etc etc....I just havnt got the patience for it anymore!! my mate just bought a starlet gt for 2k and its faultless was ment to be going out yesterday for a blast in the county side but No of couse not i own a gt turbo so it has to jst sit on the drive rotting away!! So much for cheap fun!! these things cost more than evo's to keep on the road!!:laugh::mad:

no matter how much he spends on that starlet though it will always be a balti wagon with very little character, and when birds get in it no matter how quick it is they will still comment on how ugly the thing is.. I find girls, certainly the mrs love seeing the r5 coming around the corner to pic them up.

anyway regards the post your probably complicating the problems to much.. certainly dont take it to a garage dude, most garages now days are full of kids from college who still have yet to wield a spanner and will drop dead at the sight of having to actually lift the bonnet to repair a car.

Get a local member on here to take a look for you. (markey mark) is aways a good bet, as soon as i got my first r5 i gave it him to gut and replace the deadly wiring loom. Now days i admit i will do it myself however upon purcasing a 20 year old french tin can i expected nothing more than problems and really ive encountered very little.

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 19:17
Cheers for the moral support guys at these difficult times!:laugh:
Its just that id love to have driven it by now!!
I love r5 turbo's hense why ive choosen one yet again! I know just how much fun they can be and how cool they look!
Im just pi**es coz ive been f**kin abt for 3 weeks and got nowhere!:cry:

TrixNFlix
20-03-2011, 19:21
Chin up softlad :) It will be something simple, you just need one of the local old boys to take a look.

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 19:32
Chin up softlad :) It will be something simple, you just need one of the local old boys to take a look.

Ha i know it will be simple but its driving me insane!!!:laugh:

Trevhib
20-03-2011, 20:57
Could be leads, king lead, AEI, AEI relay, overboost circuit short...

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 20:59
Could be leads, king lead, AEI, AEI relay, overboost circuit short...
Battery, Loom, Starter motor, engine, Tyres, Windscreen.....:laugh::laugh:

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-03-2011, 21:00
Originally Posted by REBEL GT TURBO
Thanks again dude! i'll be throwing s**t loads of money at her! get some pic's up of your new baby soon!

Cant wait. :agree::agree::agree::agree::):):):)

you said it....;), ahh the joys of 5 ownership...itll make ya grin, itll make ya cry....:agree:, as said , get someone local with some experience of these beasts, itll be something silly im sure...:)

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 21:01
Could be the fact its a renault 5 turbo!! If i buy everything new i recon i'll sort it out!:agree:

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 21:03
Ive got someone to have a butchers on fri peter gt muir is gonna have a look for me!;)

Bass J
20-03-2011, 21:37
Lol the joys of carbs ...ive had nothing but problems with mine ...but when it works well its the best feeling ever :laugh: . I had a problem with mine idling ...i then baught an AEM wideband off scoffs website efi parts. expensive ..but it tells you if its running rich or lean. Then you can illiminate if its a carb fault :)

The c1j engine has been a challenge for me...its just having the patience to problem solve with them :laugh:

J$£5GTT
20-03-2011, 21:40
Could be the fact its a renault 5 turbo!! If i buy everything new i recon i'll sort it out!:agree:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:wont make any difference...:wasntme:

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 22:01
I showed my mate a (speedway engine guru) my AEM wideband meter, Told him its running lean on high rpm's he looked at the plugs and said there black which means its running too rich??! He said if its lean the plugs would be white!! Anyone know if thtis is right or not??

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 22:04
he is correct, but you havent had it running properly have you?

I dont think he means white, i think he means not black, but clean so silvery ish

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 22:06
This is a lean plug.

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 22:07
massively lean to be honest. overboosted beyond belief on standard carb lol

REBEL GT TURBO
20-03-2011, 22:17
This is a lean plug.

Right yeah the car (did) once run ok and the plugs when i took them out were BLACK!! got new NGK B8EVX now!

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 22:29
There probably sooty from when it "did once run ok"