PDA

View Full Version : Blocked oil breather?

Alan
19-03-2011, 19:47
Whats happened here then??
On the way to the rolling road day i had loads of oily smoke. knackered turbo seals?? Getting back home had a look on the outlet Apparantly not, but i did notice that my oil breather near the water pump had blown a pipe off. I know the smoke and oil are related but how and what can i do the clear the blockage

Brigsy
19-03-2011, 19:57
I doubt the crankcase breather is blocked, the pipe may have popped off due to excessive breathing - worn rings. That would cause heavy smoking.

Do a compression test and go from there. If the resulkts are fine could just be a duff turbo :)

Alan
19-03-2011, 20:13
Can you explain what you mean please excessivce breathng??

michael tierney
19-03-2011, 20:39
check rocker cover inside for cleanliness,if you've just rebilt it might be a bit early for a power run...must let the rings bed in otherwise excessive blow past(breathing probs)

Brigsy
19-03-2011, 21:22
Rings should be bedded in after the first few miles...if its smoking/breathing heavy it will be until kingdom come imo..

What i meant by excessive breathing is poor sealing rings, i.e not bedded in correctly or worn mate:(

Tony Walker
19-03-2011, 21:24
Compression test will clear up the ring issue, i dont think it was your rings as it was crystal clear for a fair while.

Alan
19-03-2011, 21:37
Alex mention somthing about a one way valve possible sticking open. Any help on that or thoughts, Cant quite remember what he said

Alan
19-03-2011, 21:39
Also im presiumiong everything was bedded in correctly as ive had the car for 6 months with no problems

Alex
21-03-2011, 08:52
My monies on the turbo Al - a relatively easy fix but quite costly :crap: If you've got access to a compression tester then cool, try that first to rule out the rings.