PDA

View Full Version : R5 GT Turbo cold running fault

R5MJH
18-03-2011, 18:17
First post!

hi all again, im back on the forum as my boys now got a 5, he brought it and then a month later it went bang, i generally know most about this car as ive rebuilt many engines, b4 the engine blew it had a running fault, car runs like a dog when cold but runs like a dream when warm, ive rebuilt a brand new engine and the strange thing is it does the same on this engine, ive read lots on forum and it points to the only thing i aint changed the carb, poss coil??, if any1s had the exact same fault would they help me, the pump seems to be working fine also, it runs lovely soon as its warm

any help is greatly received thanx mick

James5
18-03-2011, 18:55
Generally running crap from cold on these is pretty much the normal they are carb'dafter all :laugh: but they shouldn't be to bad, clean the carb through worth and overhaul if not done, set mixture correctly for idle, also double check the tappet settings are correct for the type of cam in use.

I take it yours son cars has the OE breather system does it have the restrictors? and are both of them in the correct places??

Correctly gapped sparkies

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 15:50
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hum right its got a 270 cam and yes tappets set correct .30mm inlet and .35mm exhaust, right need help wiv breathers mate its got the one by water pump top goes 2 rocker box other isnt attached also servo goes 2 back manifold other manifold goes 2 breather little air filter not standard there no other breathers mate want 2 sort b4 i do carb, my old 5 run good cold or hot i wish people wouldnt play with things lol

James5
19-03-2011, 16:34

hum right its got a 270 cam and yes tappets set correct .30mm inlet and .35mm exhaust, right need help wiv breathers mate its got the one by water pump top goes 2 rocker box other isnt attached also servo goes 2 back manifold other manifold goes 2 breather little air filter not standard there no other breathers mate want 2 sort b4 i do carb, my old 5 run good cold or hot i wish people wouldnt play with things lol

Tappet's should be .20 and .25 for the GTT, your breathers sound like they are in the right place normally when the breather pipe comes out of the rear of the inlet manifold one way valve it bends around and goes into a plastic "T" piece before this T piece should be a restrictor in the pipe work, there is another T piece that comes our of the T piece when it goes of towards the oil swirl pot. If these are missing will cause rough idle.

To be honest majority of us remove the one way valve on the back of the inlet and block the inlet manifold one way valve hole up and run the breather from rocker cover straight to the oil swirl pot then the top of the swirl pot vents to air. This method requires no restrictors in the breather system at all.

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 21:00

thanx james in a little confused ive got no t piece i remember it on my old renault but not on this 1. Ive got servo 2 manifold manifold 2 small after market breather is that right? Wheres the restrictor and does it need blockin thx again

James5
19-03-2011, 21:08
The 1s two pice are some pics of how it should be on an OE car. As you say the 2nd valve goes to a filter on your setup that could be the cause of the rough idle, you need to remove that one way valve from the manfiold and place a suitable size bolt in it's place and that should cure the problem.

I run this setup on my 5 as do alot of others on here:D

edit_ Just added a 3rd pic of the back of my inlet manifold you can see 1 of the one way valves and the other has a bolt in it's place

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 21:09

thanx james in a little confused ive got no t piece i remember it on my old renault but not on this 1. Ive got servo 2 manifold manifold 2 small after market breather is that right? Wheres the restrictor and does it need blockin thx again

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 21:28

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 21:31

im on mobile at mo so cant see pics well ill look when i get in im in brighton may pop over lol

James5
19-03-2011, 21:32
Just realised your down in the BN post code area matey, if you need any help after the next 2-3 weeks (as I am having operation on Tuesday) I am more than happy to pop down and give you a hand, I am BN5 Henfield.

R5MJH
19-03-2011, 22:35

im on mobile at mo so cant see pics well ill look when i get in im in brighton may pop over lol

Tony Walker
19-03-2011, 22:45

You have a pipe coming from your manifold with a breather on? this will be a massive air leak after the carb and will result in a very lean mixture definetly making it poor when cold, and prob not brilliant when warm.

R5MJH
20-03-2011, 13:54

yes mate on the carb manifold as you look down on the left is the servo pipe and on the right is a after market breather which was on the car when we brought it. It runs sweet warm only a dog when cold, id like 2 get 2 the bottom of it as you have 2 warm it up before ya drive it. Any more light on it before i start messin about is apprec thanx again 4 yas help

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 21:18
the pipe on the inlet manifold should be blocked if its not connected to your breather system with a one way valve. with a breather on this pipe your drawing masses of air via another route not through the carb. It must be idling quite high?

R5MJH
20-03-2011, 22:44

i will look 2morrow i think the mamifold is blocked in the right side of the carb with a bolt, think ya might be getting confused its the pipe at the back thats got a breather, not sure where the one way valve should be, i will see if it got 1 tom but it ticks over 1000 dead when warm strange, cant wait 2 get to the bottom of this, ill upload some pics tom thanx again

Tony Walker
20-03-2011, 22:49
theres 2 pipes on the manifold, one to servo for vacuum servo assistance, one to bbreather system with a one way valve to stop loosing boost pressure. no confusion there. if its not connected to the breather system it should be blocked.

R5MJH
20-03-2011, 22:55

thanx m8 so if its not connected to main system breather ill block it

R5MJH
22-03-2011, 00:07
rite update nearly lost engine today turbo elbow blew out oil everywhere what a nightmare when ive only just rebuilt engine, anywayz rite where the pic has a bolt in it my manifold dont have a hole there so i cant block it off, what im thinking of doing now is blocking off right pipe on manifold totally and putting rocker box breather on oil breather pot and then on top of oil breather pot putting the after market filter, will this work ok? run out of ideas and i dont really want to replace the whole breather system, the boys done his bollox alredy on new engine thanx mick