PDA

View Full Version : strange chirping from turbo

reco
13-03-2011, 22:35
i fitted another turbo to the clio today as the standard t2 was id say more whining than anything else but no smoke :)

after fitting ,priming with oil ect..
took it for a run i had the bleed valve from last turbo which i had not touched was fine till i got to 3/4 of the way up the standard boost gauge in the 5 clocks then started chirping(its the only way i can explain it)
bass j just happened to be on the phone to marky mark and he said it could be to much boost
(bass FAILS at being a good sectary )
so turned down the boost using the bleed valve just at same mark chirping
pulled off the bleed valve and ran pipe strait to actuator from carb its still having the same problem but lower boost and also with foot planted on the floor
part throttle seams to be ok no chirping

bass j knows all the stuff about the turbo also as it was his
i know its bigger than a standard t2 but not by much

open to ideas ??

reco
18-04-2011, 07:30
turns out the standard t2 also makes the same noise but allot quieter
noticed it yesterday while i was driving the car
thinking would the tappets be needing adjusted
defo sounds like a stalling
going to check the timing out and get her a full service again

or could the carb overfilling the engine cause this as im running the boost at the 9th line on the standard boost gauge but it also still did the same at 8 psi lol
and the carb is jetted for 18psi <that is unknowen but we used the carb on betty (bass j s ) clio and it fuelled spot on at 16 psi i think it was

so i think there is a posability the t2 bob has is not broke quite yet we need to test it on his car lol

been racking my brain and came up with a possable theory but dunno if its possable

that mabe the cam timing is out and not letting the valves open long enough to get
gasses in and out hence the stalling of the turbo ?

possable cause stretched chain ?

tappets will be done while doing service as tbh there not that bad for a push rod engine

any ideas im open to them

J8TRO
18-04-2011, 09:29
What was your question? :scratch:

I'm guessing your on about wastegate chatter, flutter, chirping, whatever people call it these days. Sounds like a pigeon................never understood that one myself, never heard a pigeon make that sound..........anyway.

Thats all down to the turbo, boost your running and most likely the air filter. If your running an aftermarket filter, the noise is going to be more evident. Ever been in a modern turbo diesel car? cause you can hear it in them at low speeds letting off inder under load.

Anyway, are you worried about it? trying to stop it? i wouldnt be too worried about a turbo stalling on a 5. 50 things will break on the car first before that destroys your turbo...............i'd say the 16psi on a std T2 is going to kill it first. 14psi if you want it to last.

reco
18-04-2011, 17:20
sorry the 16psi that was not on a standard t2 it was on marky marks old campus engine that bass j has ;)

im running my standard t2 just now due to said stalling sound

or should i put the uprated t2 on and live with it loll as there is no loss of boost pressure

MADFIVE
18-04-2011, 17:58
mmmmmm. yep theres a bird stuck in the turbo. :laugh::laugh:

Bass J
18-04-2011, 18:49
ah ..so your t2 is doing the noise too :scratch: weird! ...but if you wanna brave it and use the hybrid one ive got ..its sat in my room if you want it :D

reco
18-04-2011, 23:06
could carry the wee t2 in the boot as a just incase :P