PDA

View Full Version : Standard Springs - compared to non gt turbo ones

Bigfoot
13-03-2011, 15:11
Im just changing over the springs on the car, I somehow managed to pick up non gt turbo ones and the front end was way too high. Comparing the two springs they still have the same amount of coils however the new springs look like the bottom coil is a lot tighter wound. Anyone know what the difference is between the two types? has it got same amount of coils but just sits lower? both are of same height though when comparing the two together without putting it back on the shock

phase i 16 v turbo
13-03-2011, 15:16
Im just changing over the springs on the car, I somehow managed to pick up non gt turbo ones and the front end was way too high. Comparing the two springs they still have the same amount of coils however the new springs look like the bottom coil is a lot tighter wound. Anyone know what the difference is between the two types? has it got same amount of coils but just sits lower? both are of same height though when comparing the two together without putting it back on the shock

You didn't buy them from Renault. This is a problem with most of the motorfacters out there. They list GT Turbo ones but they aren't. Even Renault have several listed for the gt turbo.

Bigfoot
13-03-2011, 15:22
I asked the manufacturer of the spec of the springs and they said it was 60mm difference or something like that, well said on spring length, when compressed will that make any difference, are they slightly more compressable than the non gt turbo ones

Hoolio
13-03-2011, 18:27
Coils that are touching are not doing any work so the spring rate will probably be different but you would need to work it out.

Bigfoot
13-03-2011, 19:01
How many coils should there be on the standard gt turbo spring though, will it be one less or same but closer together.

michael tierney
13-03-2011, 20:21
i broke one a while ago and got a replacement set....60mm higher off the car and 60mm higher on the car....6 coils on the new incorrect spring and 6 coils on the old origional!!renault in lala land wanted €170 plus vat for one spring....i ended up cutting one complete coil off the new springs to make them the correct height:(
i cant remember the name of the springs...had a number ,like r1555

Bigfoot
13-03-2011, 21:02
i broke one a while ago and got a replacement set....60mm higher off the car and 60mm higher on the car....6 coils on the new incorrect spring and 6 coils on the old origional!!renault in lala land wanted €170 plus vat for one spring....i ended up cutting one complete coil off the new springs to make them the correct height:(
i cant remember the name of the springs...had a number ,like r1555

Those are the kayaba ones which I removed from the car as I got them ages ago but never used. I know have Sachs ones, so they might be fine then but would need to fit them, as long as they are the same amount of coils as original, just dont want to waste another 40 quid trying two new springs.