PDA

View Full Version : i need to go out in a 5

djinuk
09-03-2011, 22:31
having a dilema folks.. its a common one.. i take the r5 or 205 off the road, i start doing a big job on it (bodywork or somthing).. once i havnt drove it for a bit i start looking at jap cars.. thinking why the hell am i messing about with a ugly crap looking car .. honestly this always happens.. however once ive been in one and feel like im taking a big kick as the boost kicks in all them thoughts dissapear... i need my fix soon otherwise i may stop working on the r5.. genuine dilema, not just 10:30 boredom post.

Penfold aka The Dealer
09-03-2011, 22:52
having a dilema folks.. its a common one.. i take the r5 or 205 off the road, i start doing a big job on it (bodywork or somthing).. once i havnt drove it for a bit i start looking at jap cars.. thinking why the hell am i messing about with a ugly crap looking car .. honestly this always happens.. however once ive been in one and feel like im taking a big kick as the boost kicks in all them thoughts dissapear... i need my fix soon otherwise i may stop working on the r5.. genuine dilema, not just 10:30 boredom post.

:agree: having a similar issue atm...

R5TURBORON
09-03-2011, 23:01
i will come down and see u soon mate :laugh:

djinuk
10-03-2011, 07:56
sort it out ron, if you like come down for a day of setting up, (makes it easier when theres two) nothing worse than giving it some and try to watch a gauge/lcd thats vibrating up and down.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4532246583_d524428583.jpg

keep seeing things like the above.. mmm

BriC
10-03-2011, 09:16
I used to get this. When I'd not driven for a while, I'd think about other cars, and what cars I could get, but I think I've got to a stage now where I'm quite happy.

The reason I think is because I have two cars. As sad as it sounds, 95% of the time I prefer driving the BMW. It's plenty quick, it's much more reliable, it sounds better, power delivery is better, it's much more stable at speed (not as nimble, but it's still suprisingly nimble for such a big tank), more comfortable, better spec, much better build quality.

The 5 is good for what it does though. It's very very very cheap to work on, and modify, and it gives you an awesome bang for your buck. There aren't many cars that you can buy for £2.5k for a good example, spend £500 and get the power to weight ratio around 250bhp/ton, and still spend peanuts servicing, and maintaining the thing. Plus they're rare and retro, and I find a lot of people find them cool. You get a lot of good looks and comments in a 5.

PS - that S2000 is fit!

philg
10-03-2011, 09:21
Im coming to end of my teather with my r5, i used to get in the evo and give it death all the time, never missed a beat, the r5 on the other hand has cost me the price of a good evo, spends all its life in the garage in bits, everytime if fix it something else breaks, i wake up with aching bones because im 35 and a bit past climbing round under cars.

If i dont drive it soon i think i will be thinking the same about other cars.

phil

IANMM
10-03-2011, 09:31
I think owning and driving a 5 is a love hate relationship you got to remember getting into a 20 yr old car and giving it "death" your bound to get issues unless you replace every single part from new.......

owning my 5 has been the best "relationship" ive had....yeah ive spent far too much on her and yes she can be temperamental at times but nothing and i mean nothing makes me smile like she does when im blasting down a little country lane in her......

and no one has a car like mine its a one off like everyone else's in the club you build them around your own taste and personality....its really a reflection of yourself

i could go out and buy a Evo or a Scobby but everyone has got one even a 80yr old bloke down my road

we own cars that there are less than 3000 left, i think its a privilege to have one on the road :)

spinner
10-03-2011, 10:00
we own cars that there are less than 3000 left, i think its a privilege to have one on the road :)[/quote]

:agree:

modfather
10-03-2011, 10:14
i have the same thoughts shall i sell up and get a car that is road ready etc etc, but there isnt much more to do on my 5 and is 1 of a kind and i know when i do get it finished i will be more than pleased with the end result :)

Thundercat
10-03-2011, 10:20
Thats why you should always have two 5s, one being fixed one on the road ;), but then it gets silly when both are off the road and you buy another. Been there done that and probably will again ! As for getting old yep the body is telling me give up but me mind want let go :)

TNT ANDY
10-03-2011, 10:57
Im coming to end of my teather with my r5, i used to get in the evo and give it death all the time, never missed a beat, the r5 on the other hand has cost me the price of a good evo, spends all its life in the garage in bits, everytime if fix it something else breaks, i wake up with aching bones because im 35 and a bit past climbing round under cars.

If i dont drive it soon i think i will be thinking the same about other cars.

phil

Ha ha. 35 and past It. Give me a break. My dad is 70 and is just finishing a full ground up rebuild on a 1958 Minx. There wasn't much salvageable either.

Shane P
10-03-2011, 11:49
You should all get your cars fixed and start enjoying them again, nothing beats the feeling of driving my 5 everyday :-)

Smokey
10-03-2011, 13:11
I used to get pissed off when my 5 kept breaking and thort about selling it a few times but know i just get sad an get on with it, mines currently sitting not working but hey ho ive got a push bike.

Mat

IANMM
10-03-2011, 14:57
I used to get pissed off when my 5 kept breaking and thort about selling it a few times but know i just get sad an get on with it, mines currently sitting not working but hey ho ive got a push bike.

Mat

Its only a starter motor mate :) could have been worse and chewed ya flywheel up :cooter:

Kenobi
10-03-2011, 17:49
I need a drive shaft :( Running better than ever and I got a Sodding drive shaft missing!! Arrgh

Ashy
10-03-2011, 20:16
Thats why you should always have two 5s, one being fixed one on the road ;), but then it gets silly when both are off the road and you buy another.

I've currently got 3 of the bloody things, none of hem work :cry:

MADFIVE
10-03-2011, 21:06
look dj mate your coming to bluntys rr day a week on satday? so i will take you out in mine and when you feel that boost you will not be selling you 5 any time soon. :agree:;)

James_Surridge G1 5 GTT
10-03-2011, 22:16
look dj mate your coming to bluntys rr day a week on satday? so i will take you out in mine and when you feel that boost you will not be selling you 5 any time soon. :agree:;)

Same here:agree:

djinuk
11-03-2011, 07:45
hehe spot on, no change of me selling dont worry about that, just feel the urge for boost, Cheers guys.

Gona crack on with the 205 this weekend aswell, so that wont be far away, then its going straight in for paint after the r5.

BriC
11-03-2011, 09:46
I'd take you out in mine too, but considering it's standard under the bonnet, I don't think it would be too much of a thrill :laugh:

djinuk
11-03-2011, 09:54
hehe to be fair just hearing the prolonged start up's and listening to the dirty eghaust note will help :)

Brigsy
11-03-2011, 13:13
If you were closer you would be more than welcome to come for a rinse about in my tungy gtt mate, show you some o.e power:)

scratcher
11-03-2011, 17:32
Buy my Evo :agree::laugh: