PDA

View Full Version : jc5 gearbox

jonnyshaw49
09-03-2011, 16:08
hi ive just looked at the article made for the magazine and read the part on fitting a jc5 gearbox to the renault 5 gt.ive tried a search but theres so many results and cant find what i need. could anyone tell me if any modifications are needed to make the jc5 fit the c1j engine or is it just bolt on?what cars are the gearbox available on and years? is the gearbox stamped jc5? also will the volvo 480 clutch and longer clutch arm fit the jc5 box? there is also a mention of putting the final drive off the original box into the jc5 is this a very technical job or would most mechanics be able to do it and what is the average time to do it?sorry about all the questions just want to try and fit a more reliable box into my project dont want to be replacing every 2 minutes!appreciate any help thanks

Bigfoot
09-03-2011, 16:19
JC5 box fits straight in, just make sure you find a mechanical speedo pick up as on the later clio 2002 onwards apart from the clio cup on the 172 they have not got a speedo pickup in the gearbox. With the gearbox change you will then need to change your clocks to one which is mechanical pickup, from another renault 5 or from the clio or 19 but you need to change over the front cover so it fits better in place.

jonnyshaw49
09-03-2011, 17:07
so on before 2002 do you still need the clocks from another renault 5?do you always have to fit new clocks? is there any other boxes that fit the c1j that are more reliable and better suited to 200 +bhp?thanks

Bigfoot
09-03-2011, 17:59
Supposedly the 172 gearbox is the strongest ones out of the lot, but then again the renault 5 gearbox is fine for the job but its just getting a lot of abuse (bad gearchanges) and they let go in the end. The Renault 5 GT Turbo box has a electronic pickup which is why you will need to change the clocks and cable so you have a speedo which works.

HAndy
11-03-2011, 16:44
whats the difference between the jc5 boxes out of interest ?
as i thought the diesel boxes where the strongest ?:scratch:

Bigfoot
11-03-2011, 16:47
What from the megane, williams and 172 etc? I seem to remember the williams and 172 have the same ratios not sure on the megane, but not much difference I would have thought apart from later 172 dont have the speedo pickup.

Not sure on diesel boxes, yes they have to cope with more torque lower down, however are they tested to rev a lot higher?

HAndy
11-03-2011, 16:55
dunno:laugh:

let you know in a few more weeks:innocent:
:popcorn::laugh: