PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Re-furb

Ashy
08-03-2011, 20:57
Hi Guys, I've got a set of wheels that i'm re-furbshing at the moment. One of thems got a few chunks outa the lip so I'm wondering what you guys would normally use to repair?

I'm not sure if body filler would be any good, I wouldn't want it to come off... Has anyone done this? I think my options would be:

Standard car body filler.
Chemical metal.
Weld repair and re-cut.

Any ideas?

Penfold aka The Dealer
08-03-2011, 21:00
There is a filler specificly for alloys, I used it on mine, didnt come out to bad, but would recommend that wheel going on the back due to balancing issues etc...

Purple_rob
08-03-2011, 21:02
I think body filler would depend on how big the chunks are and if the area is cleaned and perpered properly. Body filler has to do some pretty amazing stuff on the side of a car at all thicknesses doesnt it.

I used body filler on mine and have had no problem in the last year. They were in verious places, including the outer edge and I have had several pairs of tyres fitted with no problems.

IMO i would go for the filler unless there were substancial chunks missing.

J$£5GTT
08-03-2011, 21:03
i have seen a repair putty..but imo id try the chemical metal see how it fairs/what results you get.
:agree:

Ashy
08-03-2011, 21:31
its not massive chunks, maybe pea sized is he worst... They are well prepped becasue i've been shot blasting them... Might give it a shot with body filler then, my worry with chemical metal is sanding it down and making it all look even.

djinuk
08-03-2011, 22:12
bodyfiller is fine dude, refurbed loads and loads of wheels with the stuff with no issues, end of the day alloys a soft metal, if you hit it , it will kill alloy or bodyfiller, you wont have any issues with it dropping out..

hit the bad areas with some 80grit/120 and get it nicely keyed up, drop the bodyfiller in, knock it back with some 320.. then give the area a good thick coat of high build.. flat that back to 800 or so and they will vanish for good.. honestly ive repaired some very bad damage this way with no issues at all.