PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got A Working Speedo?

Fishey
08-03-2011, 20:30
And fancy helping me trace what part of mine isnt working?

Supposidly the top half of the cable was replaced and clocks were checked before i got it and i have replaced the bottom half of the cable with no joy!

It reads about 1/3 of the speed your doing and its reeeealy annoying!:scratch:

J$£5GTT
08-03-2011, 20:39
well all i can suggest is where the sensor goes into the gearbox,make sure its fully home an the bracket that stops it coming out is in place.

then follow up to the connector in the engine bay,check this over it can fail,if in doubt replace with any connector or just cut it off an twist the wires together for now,nowt wrong with that.

now all your left with is the connector on back of the speedo,can be loose,so be careful here,you can crimp the parts in it to make them tighter,or just take it off clean it up an push it back on...if all this is a fail maybe suspect a dodgy instrument panel..

mines been playin up for ages,i know what the cause is,no bother,i usually just back it up with the sat nav....
:)

Fishey
08-03-2011, 21:05
Yea ive been using the sat nav, im just a bit anal with stuff like this, if its there it has to work properly! :cooter:

I have had it all apart many times now and checked all the connections and that the sensor is in the box properly, just thought it was wierd that it reads a 1/3rd? I thought it would either work properly or not at all!

jackw04_123
08-03-2011, 22:29
I had the same spoblem and it was the connection at the back of the clocks

Thundercat
09-03-2011, 07:05
Where the connector fits on to the back of clock you will find the copper strips on the circuit board have tarnished. Get youself some scotch bright and give it a good polish. Done this a few times to numerous 5s and clocks just jump back to life.

Fishey
09-03-2011, 07:55
Will have a go at this later today if I get five minutes then, fingers crossed!

zinc
13-03-2011, 11:29
Hi, just to add I didn't check the clocks themselves but I did try another set in there from my cousin's car and his clocks did not work either.

jackw04_123
13-03-2011, 11:39
Have you checked the plug that plugs onto the back of the speedo? If it's not the plug it looks Like you need to trace the speedo back to the gear box and maybe replace

Fishey
13-03-2011, 14:13
Yea checked the plug and cleaned up the connectors on the clocks, still only reads a 1/3 of the speed. I think a known working set of clocks is next on the shopping list!

jackw04_123
13-03-2011, 18:14
Sounds like the sensors gone in the gearbox

Fishey
13-03-2011, 18:33
As in i need to replace the box or the lower half of the cable? This is the second lower cable i have tried and both have done the same thing :confused:

adscan
21-09-2011, 20:12
did you get this sorted? my clocks are playing up and would be interested if you fixed yours.