PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Bodell
08-09-2008, 15:22
Hi all, first post computer related :)

I will be buying a laptop in the next week, the maximum i will be spending is £600, it will be for mostly uni work and some casual gaming. After some research i came up with this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230498438/Product.aspx

Could i have some opinions please, value for money, laptops you believe are better for the same cost.

Regards

Grunge
08-09-2008, 15:44
Its not bad, nice speed will run quick and has enough memory. Erm its better to look about. If you make a note of the ram,memory etc.. then have a look for better ones or something the same. You can get good laptops for cheaper than that in my opinion.

Thorneyr5
08-09-2008, 15:58
yeah grunge is rite its not a bad spec at all but shop about mate you will find some websites with some great deals it will just take some time to find one but your perserverance will pay off.

Bodell
08-09-2008, 16:16
The thing is im after a decent graphics card, Nvidea 9600GT at least because i like to mess around on a few FPS now and again (when the gf is away) and for movies quality graphics cards make the difference.

3 Gig RAM minimum really and dual core processor.

Mostly using it as a replacement desktop unit.

Grunge
08-09-2008, 16:51
If you got a laptop with shat graphics but with good everything else you could just buy a good card for it and install it.. but i wouldnt no how much they are im not really into laptops... lol i use my lil sisters with a mouse and keyboard =]

What FPS do you play? I hope a bit of cs? 1.6 that is ;) My gf is always away (at uni) so always have time :p

Bodell
08-09-2008, 19:02
Installing gfx cards on laptops aren't as easy as it sounds. Gets a bit messy and i can't be bothered with the hassle. And buying a laptop graphics card is hard aswell.

Bit of moh:aa and a bit of cs:s. That's about it really as i don't have much time for computers these days as im either working / with girlfriend (before i go uni) / in the car / buying car parts.

I think i'm going to go brent cross tomorrow and buy the acer :)

Bodell
10-09-2008, 08:00
Bought the laptop yesturday and it is amazing.

Definately would be able to play WoW etc all on high end settings.

It even distracted me from my car for around 3-4 hours :eek:

Grunge
10-09-2008, 09:14
=] Nice one. Have fun with it