PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge all over the place?

Josie172cup
03-03-2011, 18:40
Just having a bit of a problem with my temp gauge bouncing around. its rising and dropping really quickly im not sure whether or not its the temp sensor as my car is being a bitch for overheating at the minute. it struggles to stay just below the 3 lines at the top of the temp gauge with the fan on continuously. when i pick up speed it drops rapidly. im confused :confused:

how to i go about checking the temp sensor (if thats what it is)

Thanks
Joe

R5TURBORON
03-03-2011, 18:43
I had this with mine one of the wires to the sensor had broken on the connector. It's located on the top of the water pump housing closest to the bulk head

Josie172cup
04-03-2011, 07:54
I had this with mine one of the wires to the sensor had broken on the connector. It's located on the top of the water pump housing closest to the bulk head

cheers m8, i'm at work now like so i'll check it out tomorrow and let you know

5teve L
04-03-2011, 09:25
:agree:

Josie172cup
05-03-2011, 09:19
right, when i start the car the temp gauge rises to max within about 5mins but the radiator is still cold. Does this mean a faulty thermostat?

Adam 005
05-03-2011, 09:40
right, when i start the car the temp gauge rises to max within about 5mins but the radiator is still cold. Does this mean a faulty thermostat?

could be stat or blocked rad or even air lock in the water system.

IANMM
05-03-2011, 10:09
could be both........flush system through and see what that does check the temp from the header tank see if thats getting warm if it is feel pipes until you find where its getting cold......does your heater get hot ?

Josie172cup
05-03-2011, 10:19
does your heater get hot ?

nope :eek:

Thundercat
05-03-2011, 10:34
Just an idea to prove if temperature sender is ok, with engine cold switch the ignition on without starting the car and see if the temperature gauge goes up. You might have to leave it a couple of minutes, had one fail before and it kept going full scale. If it does then remove the wires of the sender to prove that it is the sender or the loom.

Trevhib
05-03-2011, 10:49
Sounds like it could be more than temp sender. I'd drive the car as little as possible until you've gotten to the bottom of this. If you have air locks for example, and they are in the wrong place for too long, it'll cost you.

Josie172cup
05-03-2011, 14:26
Sounds like it could be more than temp sender. I'd drive the car as little as possible until you've gotten to the bottom of this. If you have air locks for example, and they are in the wrong place for too long, it'll cost you.

dont say that :cry: i need it for work. im gunna try swapping the thermostat see if that works.

Josie172cup
12-03-2011, 09:22
I've getting my temperature problem sorted, ish.

I took the thermostat out and it was loaded up with silicone. i replaced this but still no luck. So i completely flushed the sytem with the hose pipe and put it back together. refilled with water and antifreeze and tested again.

Now my temperature gauge works spot on it sits just above half way

Matt Cole
12-03-2011, 10:20
I've getting my temperature problem sorted, ish.

I took the thermostat out and it was loaded up with silicone. i replaced this but still no luck. So i completely flushed the sytem with the hose pipe and put it back together. refilled with water and antifreeze and tested again.

Now my temperature gauge works spot on it sits just above half way

Sounds about right joe. Might go to the start of the dashed lines when sat in traffic etc and then the fan should bring it back down. This is of course dependant on the rated fan switch you may have.:agree:

Trevhib
12-03-2011, 11:27
So probably was air locks after all then. Glad you sorted it before it caused any damage :agree:

Josie172cup
12-03-2011, 12:45
So probably was air locks after all then. Glad you sorted it before it caused any damage :agree:

it looks that way m8 thanks :agree:

Sounds about right joe. Might go to the start of the dashed lines when sat in traffic etc and then the fan should bring it back down. This is of course dependant on the rated fan switch you may have.:agree:

HAHA what fan switch, its wired into the ignition.

next job to do is a CV boot spewing grease out and then to sort some of the wiring out under the bonnet. (its not pretty)

then get rid of some of the **** that just isn't needed...

how much can you get for a Nitrous system these days?

Matt Cole
12-03-2011, 18:34
it looks that way m8 thanks :agree:

HAHA what fan switch, its wired into the ignition.

next job to do is a CV boot spewing grease out and then to sort some of the wiring out under the bonnet. (its not pretty)

then get rid of some of the **** that just isn't needed...

how much can you get for a Nitrous system these days?

Ha, i forgot about your fan on continously!! And how the feck did silicone get in the cooling system?:scratch:

What happened to your oil leaking problem?

Josie172cup
13-03-2011, 07:22
Ha, i forgot about your fan on continously!! And how the feck did silicone get in the cooling system?:scratch:

What happened to your oil leaking problem?

i have no idea m8, honestly this car is nowt but chew, i fix one problem then another completely unrelated problem arises.

it turns out that the oil was all coming out the breather. i thought it might have been rings but i just tried turning the boost down a few psi now its spot on and isn't spewing oil out.

and just when i thought i was getting on top of it i get a flat tyre :mad: