PDA

View Full Version : Fifth gear need a standard GTT

5teve L
04-11-2008, 08:47
Read here & if interested please get in contact, remember, near as standard & mint as poss.....

Hi,

I work for Fifth Gear on Channel Five – we’re just putting together our next series.

Next Monday (10th Nov) we’ve got a RenaultSport Twingo booked to film, and we’re thinking about putting it up against a Renault 5 GT Turbo on a track, as a new versus old style speed test. I was wondering if any of your forum members would be willing to lend us their car for the day? It would involve getting to Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire for about 8am on the Monday and staying until about 5pm. Obviously we’d cover all the petrol, food and accommodation necessary for whoever is involved – and if we ruined a set of tyres we’d obviously sort out a new set!

I’d like the car to be as original as possible, but it doesn’t have to be concours – just a tidy looking and mechanically sound, factory standard car. It’ll be a good chance for somebody to get their car on the telly, and I reckon the 5 would come out on top against the clock. It will either be Jason Plato or Tiff Needell doing the driving – they’ll get the best out of the car on the track, but be sympathetic to it’s age.

If anybody you know is interested, then feel free to pass on my email address or phone number, which is 0121 697 1923.

Hopefully speak to you soon.

All the best,
Graham Smiles
Assistant Producer

Fifth Gear

T: 0121 697 1923 |M: 07973 323960 |F: 0121 697 1950

Sorry i should mention that this was posted by Lee, Admin on Renault5gtturbo.com

Mart
04-11-2008, 09:12
Big Steve's Raider.

Sy5GTT
04-11-2008, 09:15
But would he let Tiff or Jason rag it around the test track?

Mart
04-11-2008, 09:17
but be sympathetic to it’s age.

Sy5GTT
04-11-2008, 09:20
Yeah but Steve's idea of sympathetic might be different as it's his pride and joy. I hope he does go for it.

Tiny Tim
04-11-2008, 09:24
Excellent chance for someone there. I used to live literally down the road from Millbrook and have a friend that worked there. Great place.

paul b
04-11-2008, 09:25
oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

wish I had kept some of my old 5's now.......:(

how about Scoff's.....just tell em it's "slightly" modified and watch it cream the Twingo....LOL

Mart
04-11-2008, 09:26
Are you Steve's bigger brother or something? ;) I'm sure he can decide for himself.

Just left him a voicemail about it...

Sy5GTT
04-11-2008, 09:35
Are you Steve's bigger brother or something? ;) I'm sure he can decide for himself.

Just left him a voicemail about it...

:laugh:.

No mate. My thinking is a lot of guy's with mint 5's may not be keen on the idea of -
1. Letting someone else drive it
2. Using it on a track
3. Using it in the rain

It should make an interesting watch though.

tonesGTT
04-11-2008, 09:45
Id love to get mine invloved in this but have to admit the thought of it being pushed around a track, even 'sympathetically', puts me off :( As its against the clock it will be quite a ragging.

I remember watching Tiff throw a Williams round a track against the clock with a 197 and thinking i was glad it wasnt my clio!

Gttnutter
04-11-2008, 10:09
Id love to get mine invloved in this but have to admit the thought of it being pushed around a track, even 'sympathetically', puts me off :( As its against the clock it will be quite a ragging.

I remember watching Tiff throw a Williams round a track against the clock with a 197 and thinking i was glad it wasnt my clio!

:agree: i'm out!

Mart
04-11-2008, 10:25
If anybody you know is interested, then feel free to pass on my email address or phone number, which is 0121 697 1923.

What's the guy's email address?

Big Steve is game on for it :agree:

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 10:36

Hell yes!! Let's give that twingo a run for It's money eh!? ;) :D

paul b
04-11-2008, 10:40
good lad................

and you know Tiff and Jason are masters in their field......

so, Top Gear stand in and Fifth Gear STAR

raj
04-11-2008, 10:43
id do it if my car was on the road.

if our gtt's are reliable then nobody should have a problem with them ragging it around the track. or are you saying there not that reliable:p

i hope someone goes for it though[maybe with a little sneaky boost increase] to show the twingo what the 5 can do :agree:

Mart
04-11-2008, 11:04
Just had a text from Steve - It's game on :agree: :cool: :)

tonesGTT
04-11-2008, 11:10
:agree: i'm out!

Is that your yellow Delta in the background too!?! Fookin lurvely :cool::smokin:

Sy5GTT
04-11-2008, 11:11
Well done Steve.:goodJob:

Will they want the boost set to standard I wonder?

tonesGTT
04-11-2008, 11:27
Hell yes!! Let's give that twingo a run for It's money eh!? ;) :D

:yeah:

Gttnutter
04-11-2008, 11:30
Is that your yellow Delta in the background too!?! Fookin lurvely :cool::smokin:

No wishfull thinking :laugh::agree:

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 11:50

Spoke to the geezer & put my car forward for filming next Tuesday!

Gotta be worth letting Tiff Needlel give it a shakedown :D

Matt Cole
04-11-2008, 13:16
Excellent Steve, will be great seeing this. Leave the boost at 15psi. They came out of the factory +:agree:/- 5psi anyway!!

Duncan Grier
04-11-2008, 15:12
Can't wait to see it Steve ;) good reason to watch 5th gear (they do wind me up lol)

Glad the texts / missed calls got through from Mart & I :D:D

That car will not miss a BEAT!!!!

Steve turn up on empty ;) - belly, tank, wallet LOL

raj
04-11-2008, 15:33
when will this episode be aired.?

5teve L
04-11-2008, 16:12
Glad someone was able to get sorted on this, the ol raider should be pretty sweet up against the new twingo, don't think the boost needs to be up though, unless the twingo handles really well ;)

ATB
Steve

DaveMayGTT
04-11-2008, 16:42
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thats excellent. Surely the gtt will win this one? Is there a big gap between filming till when it airs?

Brigsy
04-11-2008, 17:05
Keep that boost at a bar, should be interesting!

wrightygtt
04-11-2008, 17:34
sounds good, Steves car looks lovely, any ideas of when it'll be aired for the masses?:)

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 17:40
All Sorted now fellas:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for giving us a bell – a massive help in getting this item together.

I know I said on the phone that it’ll be Tuesday with Tiff driving, but it’s now actually going to have to be Monday with Jason Plato driving. Is that still OK with you?

They’re both going to have a race in some Monster Trucks on Tuesday – and the Monster Truck people are much less flexible than Renault who are lending us their Twingo Cup!

Can you be at Millbrook Proving Ground at 8am on Monday 10th November in your Raider? If you want a hotel the night before we can sort that out as all the crew will be staying in one anyway – just let me know.

You can call me any time, I don’t think I took your number so if you could let me know what it is that would be great.

Cheers,

Graham Smiles
Assistant Producer
Fifth Gear

Not sure when it goes out on Telly as i think they're on a break at the moment??

I'll have to keep you guys all in suspense till it goes out .... :p :laugh:

Mart
04-11-2008, 17:43
Top darts :agree:

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 17:45
Keep that boost at a bar, should be interesting!

Picture the moment:

Fifth Gear: Don't see many like this now a days & in standard condition?!

Steve: Yeah mate, this car's totally standard as it was from the factory* :)

*Failing to mention the AdamL Special T2/T25 Hybrid Turbo & the 1 bar boost ;)

#AHEM# :laugh::laugh:

raj
04-11-2008, 17:54
I CAN WAIT :cool2: sorry but this is worth shouting about :cool::D

Adam L
04-11-2008, 18:15
Picture the moment:

:laugh:

Andrew Cooke
04-11-2008, 18:31
Picture the moment:

brakes and suspension will make more of a difference than a bit of boost.

Wanna borrow some DS2500s :D Who's got some konis..

Adey aka Ewok
04-11-2008, 18:31
not meaning to sound a kill joy but should this be on the forum? they might see it?

Ricardo
04-11-2008, 18:37
Can we go down to spectate??

Trevhib
04-11-2008, 18:39
Ace!

Get some vid and pics on the day Steve. Well done mate.

Lomo
04-11-2008, 18:44
Steve, superb mate! Can't wait to see this....:smokin:

Ian S
04-11-2008, 19:01
Sadly it looks like it has the pea shooter exhaust.

15psi with a decent exhaust might be worth 20 or 25psi with that one strangling it.

Apart from that, are you sure that's a 20 year old car!!

D4WNO
04-11-2008, 19:10
not meaning to sound a kill joy but should this be on the forum? they might see it?

Gotta agree with the hairy one...

Adam L
04-11-2008, 19:16
Wasn't the Twingo mentioned the Cup version? Hence, non standard...

Ian S
04-11-2008, 19:34

I guess we could move the thread away from General chat.

Ian S
04-11-2008, 19:38
Wasn't the Twingo mentioned the Cup version? Hence, non standard...

It's not a fair comparison. The 5GTT was far from developed when they dropped it for a Cat'd non blowered EFI'd(?) Clio.

Renault have had 17 years to come up with some improvements, some of which I expect would have been fitted to their 'standard' 5GTT in, say 1992 or 1993 had it continued in production.

The new Bill J
04-11-2008, 19:53
Can Jason Plato fit his nose in a gtt? :scared:

Adam L
04-11-2008, 20:00

Trevhib
04-11-2008, 20:01

:laugh: that's probably why they've swapped the drivers round. Gotta be even tighter in the Twingo.

ady b
04-11-2008, 20:06
thought i saw an old piece of footage once of jason plato saying that he once owned a gtt turbo,,in his younger days :cool:

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 22:59
brakes and suspension will make more of a difference than a bit of boost.

Wanna borrow some DS2500s :D Who's got some konis..

Koni's i got ;)

DS2500's.... now you're talking :D

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2008, 23:03
I guess we could move the thread away from General chat.

If a Moderator wants to do this then i'm happy with that?

Mart
04-11-2008, 23:05
I've moved this to the '5 gt turbo' forum.

Mart
04-11-2008, 23:05
If a Moderator wants to do this then i'm happy with that?

FFS, you've read my mind :D

Win
04-11-2008, 23:19

Just wanted to say fair play to you Steve - hope it all goes well and your Raider comes through triumphant and unscathed.

Will defo be tuning in when it airs ... :D

Andrew Cooke
04-11-2008, 23:25
Koni's i got ;)

DS2500's.... now you're talking :D

PM me your address and I'll try and have a root around, are your disks nice and flat?

James5
04-11-2008, 23:53
We should be giving some thanks to www.renault5gtturbo.com (http://www.renault5gtturbo.com) as the original email was sent to them 1st:)
http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3750

5teve L
05-11-2008, 09:50
Ammended my 1st post, i thought i had added that i copy & pasted from Renault5gtturbo.com :ashamed:
Must have put it in my text to Mart...:rolleyes:

Ashy
05-11-2008, 09:52
Quality, can you get a preview of the shoot and upload it to the site!!

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt :smokin: :agree:

Nayls
05-11-2008, 10:30

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt :smokin: :agree:

:agree:

Make sure it has a contact number & e-mail address on it for future tv appearences! :)

Amber5GTTurb
05-11-2008, 11:31
Wow can't wait to see that. Probably be nearer a years time when it come's on - start of the next new series.:crap:

Be interested to hear how the shoot goes :cool:

5alldaway
05-11-2008, 17:23
good sheet! its been a good few months for the gtt, first it was in evo magazine and now this

top darts :)

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 17:31
who in the right mind wants to let a muti million pound tv company rag the arse out of your car all day, just to say thanks for that , that will get us about 5 million viewers and a **** load of money heres your petrol money:confused:
if they want a gtt let them buy one, thats what we had to do!

cheeky *******s

Andrew Cooke
05-11-2008, 17:38
make sure you know what they'll give you if they write it off. A car magazine rolled a friends car in a similar test and gave him nothing for his trouble.

Big Steve - Raider
05-11-2008, 18:16
I've already started the negotiation on that front.

Make no mistake i'm going to make it VERY CLEAR to them right from the off what the score will be if they damage it! :mad:

Ian S
05-11-2008, 19:06
We should be giving some thanks to www.renault5gtturbo.com (http://www.renault5gtturbo.com) as the original email was sent to them 1st:)
http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3750

The RTOC doesn't seem to do so well in search engines with 5GTTurbo or 5GT Turbo.

But maybe I could help that situation by changing the log in page text a bit as that's what Google seems to find.

I've added the RTOC link back into Wikipedia 5gt turbo, IIRC, I did that a couple of years ago as well as writing at least some of the paragraph '5GTT today'.

Ian S
05-11-2008, 19:14

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for Jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt :smokin: :agree:

Won't it be too cold for a T-shirt?

Maybe a small RTOC window sticker on the front screen so it's in the cameras view if they film from the front like they did with Danny Fennel a few years back. That time plato sat in the front passenger seat while Fennel flat shifted through the gears, much to platos surprise. The colossal quantity of gold jewellery in camera view made Fennel look more like an Estate Agent that a drag racer so I expect diminished his credibility somewhat.

old skool turbo power
05-11-2008, 19:25

lol i can seeee your point there steve but to be honest YOUR a brave brave man :laugh:as you know i think its very clean BUT for some one to rag it around the track im not so keen on that tbh. i dont think they will mess around they will give it some on the track.i seen the post and thought id like to take mine on there as a std engine/car but to think what they COULD do to it :scared:i dont know.tryes ok but h/g if it was to go.who pays there my 5 means alot to me as time and money has been spent on the car lol and no one else has drove it.and if they were to write it off:cry: but good luck tho mate:)

Mart
05-11-2008, 19:43
What's with all the negative beef? :sad2:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly, and not bodged together by feckwits, they'll be as reliable as the next car.

We should all be getting behind Steve for putting himself/his car forward to get it on tv, and to try & hopefully shed some of the chavvy/boy racer image in the process. If RTOC gets a mention, that's a double bonus too :agree:

Fair play I say :cool: :)

BriC
05-11-2008, 19:48
I was litterelly about to say something Mart, but then decided I couldn't be arsed :crap: Might as well now though..

Believe it or not, these cars were made to be driven, and what on earth is the point in having a fast, pokey, fun handling car, if you're going to be terrified of using it to it's potential! I could understand if it was your mate Danny, who 'juzt wonts a go in de r5 turbz init', but this is a reputable TV company, and I'm sure that if they did blow it up or damage it in any way, they would happily foot the bill.

Ian S
05-11-2008, 19:49
There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly

Is Steves car good for lapping?

Increased boost is fine for 15 seconds but is his tested for mile after hard mile?

It would be embarrassing if it lived down to the stereotype and over heated / scored a liner / piston or holed a piston crown.

Plato may well just ignore the pinking and get on with it.

Mart
05-11-2008, 19:55
1bar boost is hardly pushing the reliability boundaries of the c1j.

I'm sure IF anything does pop on his car, the Fifth Gear production team would edit out any 'white steam' moments. At the end of the day, it'll probably just be a timed lap or 3 against the Twingo, and not an endurance thrashing that a few are making it out to potentially be...

Adam L
05-11-2008, 20:07
Jeez, that car's being faulted before it's even got to the event. Shut up, you bellends.

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 20:18

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly, and not bodged together by feckwits, they'll be as reliable as the next car.

We should all be getting behind Steve for putting himself/his car forward to get it on tv, and to try & hopefully shed some of the chavvy/boy racer image in the process. If RTOC gets a mention, that's a double bonus too :agree:

if they want to make buckets of money , let them but a gtt rag too the arse off , there making enough, why should we spend all our money doing our cars up and looking after them just to let someone else have the fun and rewards.
its not about the reliability or wether it can do it, its about why should we let them, and to offer petrol and maybe tyres, well if it needs tyres ! it will need a whole load else aswell, you try hoofing a car round a track from 9-5 and see how well it drives home!

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 20:24
Jeez, that car's being faulted before it's even got to the event. Shut up, you bellends.

would you let any boy racer screw your car all day long? tiff is a master i saw him thrash an audi quattro within a bredth of its life the other year and that was just some poor guys car. what if the 5 doesnt break and its fine, will certainly have worn the brakes ,discs, clutch and the like. for what? so they could make their program.
who wants the boy racers to know they move well , well be all frightened to park them anywhere after the program

think!

D4WNO
05-11-2008, 20:25
Lol, they wont be ragging it round 9 til 5, they'll probably just do a few laps. The 5 is more than worthy of doing a few miles on track. Don't forget they won't be basing a whole show around this, maybe only 5 minutes of it. Chill out people, Steve is MORE than capable of what he decides to do with his own car, he's a big boy now

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 20:35
Lol, they wont be ragging it round 9 til 5, they'll probably just do a few laps. The 5 is more than worthy of doing a few miles on track. Don't forget they won't be basing a whole show around this, maybe only 5 minutes of it. Chill out people, Steve is MORE than capable of what he decides to do with his own car, he's a big boy now

still all the same if it trounces the twingo, chavs will think ,im gonna nick me one of them tonight!:cry: insurance will go up and it goes on

who gives a **** whether it beats a twingo anyway ,that aint going to give it much street cred.
they did a similar thing with the 205 gti against the 206gti and it didnt do the 205 any favours, it came out looking ordinary, and we know its a great car!

tonesGTT
05-11-2008, 21:42

Gttnutter
05-11-2008, 21:50
yep best of luck steve....bring home the trophy :agree::cool:

Mart
05-11-2008, 22:18
would you let any boy racer screw your car all day long? tiff is a master i saw him thrash an audi quattro within a bredth of its life the other year and that was just some poor guys car. what if the 5 doesnt break and its fine, will certainly have worn the brakes ,discs, clutch and the like. for what? so they could make their program.
who wants the boy racers to know they move well , well be all frightened to park them anywhere after the program

think!

Are you on drugs or something? They're not gonna be thrashing the car all day long, Tiff Needell is hardly a fecking boy racer, and anyone with half an ounce of knowledge (of which there doesn't seem much on this thread) will already know how well the gtt performs anyway.

What, you think that none of the insurance companies, or petrol heads out there, have ever heard of a gtt, or seen it in action on the track/quarter mile strip? Excuse me whilst I try to work out how it obtained that group 14 insurance rating in the first place...

Jeez, anyone would think they were gonna be using your car!

Big Steve - Raider
05-11-2008, 22:22
Thanks for all your concern regarding my car, I'm flattered by it all. :ashamed:

However Renault designed this car to be driven & enjoyed & I am just continuing to do that after having re-built it myself & got it into the condition it's in. It didn't just get a quick respray when I re-built it, I stripped the engine down to a bare block, checked everything & re-built it whilst replacing everything that was suspect as I went along. Since the re-build It has:

Had the carb re-jetted to run 1 bar of boost
Been on the rolling road at the RTOC Thor Motorsport rolling road day & got a full bill of heath.
Driven to the Nurburgring, done 4 laps & then driven home
Completed several full power runs down the strip at Santa Pod (Best run 15.07sec 92.55mph)
I'm fully aware that accidents can happen & something can go wrong on the day but I believe that life should be lived every day & my car should be used properly.

You never know if everything goes well, the Raider kicks that Twingo's ass then maybe all those old time GTT owners are on the hunt for 5's again driving the prices up!? We all know these car's are good which is why were on this forum, lets show the non believers!! ;):D

Kraig
05-11-2008, 22:27
I'm fully aware that accidents can happen & something can go wrong on the day but I believe that life should be lived every day & my car should be used properly.

You never know if everything goes well, the Raider kicks that Twingo's ass then maybe all those old time GTT owners are on the hunt for 5's again driving the prices up!? We all know these car's are good which is why were on this forum, lets show the non believers!! ;):D

:agree:Spot on!
Hope its a good day for you and your 5. Will you try to find out the expected air date? :D

J$£5GTT
05-11-2008, 22:27

:agree:enjoy the day mate!!

paul b
05-11-2008, 22:28
Steve, the Twingo's ESP button is above your left knee when your sitting in it....

bung some shewing gum over it so they can't turn it off......LOL......

you'l be fine, they are all car mad and also car friendly....all I have seen them do is good stuff,on and off the track.....
if something was gonna go.....the ring would have shown it up...

GOOD LUCK, kick ass....

Adam L
05-11-2008, 22:52

think!

Are you having a ****ing laugh!! It's not the Le Mans 24 hour, you moron.

Where's all this bollocks come from that they're going to rag the car within an inch of its life?

And why on earth has boy racers been brought up? You're in some sort of dream land.

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 22:57
Are you on drugs or something? They're not gonna be thrashing the car all day long, Tiff Needell is hardly a fecking boy racer, and anyone with half an ounce of knowledge (of which there doesn't seem much on this thread) will already know how well the gtt performs anyway.

What, you think that none of the insurance companies, or petrol heads out there, have ever heard of a gtt, or seen it in action on the track/quarter mile strip? Excuse me whilst I try to work out how it obtained that group 14 insurance rating in the first place...

Jeez, anyone would think they were gonna be using your car!

no way , im not that daft! i wouldnt let them use my car. chavy 16 year olds dont know about the gtt much, and no im not on drugs

you need to taker a chill pill, ive got some of those.
all i was saying is who gains and who looses

an iconic car thats lasted 17 years to then be hammmered just so fifth gear can rake in the ratings

it dont maker sense and neither do you my friend!

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 23:00
Are you having a ****ing laugh!! It's not the Le Mans 24 hour, you moron.

Where's all this bollocks come from that they're going to rag the car within an inch of its life?

And why on earth has boy racers been brought up? You're in some sort of dream land.

so there not going to screw it ?
its all academic because it aint my car.

crack on,

shaggy
05-11-2008, 23:01

I would let them rag the pants out of my 5 around the track, it would be fun to watch. As long as thay pay to fix it if it did let go.

Mart
05-11-2008, 23:02

Touché!

Adam L
05-11-2008, 23:03

Bully's gona get ya...

raj
05-11-2008, 23:09
cant you all shat the fack up and wait for it to be aired or wait for steve to report back after the event is over. fhuck sake:rolleyes:

paul b
05-11-2008, 23:09
I honestly can't see any pro driver wragging a car any worse than I would myself...

the car can cope, it was built for this reason,it will survive....end of...

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 23:12
I honestly can't see any pro driver wragging a car any worse than I would myself...

the car can cope, it was built for this reason,it will survive....end of...

ofcourse it will cope ,your missing my point!

car.crash
05-11-2008, 23:18
well done steve on getting the feature :agree:.

ollycock chill man they are hardly going to kill it, as for wear on clutch, brakes etc etc i think your being a bit extreme if not tight. they are using proffesional drivers and they wont be driving it to a inch of its life and even if they did these engines love it, 120 laps at cadwell and 150 at mallory, 30 runs at pod on a std engine at 20 psi and not a single fault on mine and i drove it home after every event. i think your being paranoid.

ollyhock
05-11-2008, 23:21
well done steve on getting the feature :agree:.

ollycock chill man they are hardly going to kill it, as for wear on clutch, brakes etc etc i think your being a bit extreme if not tight. they are using proffesional drivers and they wont be driving it to a inch of its life and even if they did these engines love it, 120 laps at cadwell and 150 at mallory, 30 runs at pod on a std engine at 20 psi and not a single fault on mine and i drove it home after every event. i think your being paranoid.

have a great day steve, hope you have fun, its a good piece of footage to keep with the car and i hope the gtt kicks arse.

why didnt i just say that in the first place

timmy
06-11-2008, 08:43
The colossal quantity of gold jewellery in camera view made Fennel look more like an Estate Agent that a drag racer so I expect diminished his credibility somewhat.

Funny you should mention that, he was an estate agent:laugh:

5teve L
06-11-2008, 09:30
Could be worse, it could have been Top Gear & Clarkson driving :crap: :D

Good luck Steve, i'm sure it will all be ok ;)

Frix
06-11-2008, 11:42
dont listen to the poo thats being spoken Steve, i think its more jealousy then anything else!

some of these people can only wish they had a 5 like yours, to be featured in fifth gear!

enjoy and dont forget to let us know how you get on! :D

Rob1980
06-11-2008, 12:51
You are right there about the jealousy!

Steve you can take my car along as well for "parts" so if a indicator gets broken you can replace it with mine. I can then say "look thats my indicator on that raider going around the track on Fith gear, a bit of my car's on TV!!"

Ian S
06-11-2008, 13:39
Will they do a 0 to 60 and a top speed run?

I'm wondering what Renault will say if the five does do faster laps and else.

We know the bosses at Renault want to play down the old Renaults to promote the new ones.

I expect they expect to prove that new Renault hot hatch turbo power is best.

If the GTT wins, Renault might insist the feature is not screened.

I would think the whole point of this is to sell the new Renault, not the old one.

If the TV shows wanted to do a feature on old classic hot hatches then that would be where a particularly fast 5GTT would be of interest to the TV show makers.

UNICRONICUS
06-11-2008, 14:50
Will they do a 0 to 60 and a top speed run?

I'm wondering what Renault will say if the five does do faster laps and else.

We know the bosses at Renault want to play down the old Renaults to promote the new ones.

I expect they expect to prove that new Renault hot hatch turbo power is best.

If the GTT wins, Renault might insist the feature is not screened.

I would think the whole point of this is to sell the new Renault, not the old one.

If the TV shows wanted to do a feature on old classic hot hatches then that would be where a particularly fast 5GTT would be of interest to the TV show makers.

The difference between the Twingo and the 5GTT though is a lot more than just performance in this day and age. The Twingo is going to be safer, have more mod cons, sleeker in its design etc... It's basically showing that Renault can still develop fun, nippy cars but with practicality and safety built into one. At the end of the day, Fifth Gear don't try to sell the cars, they test and review them to let the audience decide what is best. Even if the 5GTT does beat the Twingo it won't be the first time that and older model has prevailed over its successors, take the Golf GTi's for example. Top Gear tested a range of GTi's from the MK1 to the MK(whatever they're on now) and the MK1 beat all of the newer models in a drag race, but I doubt this put the manufacturers off from selling them, nor did it deter the buyers. I think they are just putting this feature on because, like us, they want to see how the older cars fair up against the new kids on the block. $hits and giggles innit :D

RichR
06-11-2008, 15:31
I have a vague recollection that we let Jason Plato drive one of our GTTs before for Fifth Gear - back in the R5GTTOC days? Or am I imagining it? I seem to recall he kept revving it very high so the alternator belt kept coming off. The video was on the old site.

Sparkie
06-11-2008, 16:21
I have a vague recollection that we let Jason Plato drive one of our GTTs before for Fifth Gear - back in the R5GTTOC days? Or am I imagining it? I seem to recall he kept revving it very high so the alternator belt kept coming off. The video was on the old site.

I think it Barry from St Albans black one... hardly a well kept example...:laugh:

Mr_Dave
06-11-2008, 21:55
If it was a radio show, I'd let one of those boys apply my 5 to the track all day long. It'd be a privilage to be honest!

But it aint a radio show and I don't spend money on my paintwork ;)

I also think that we're all experienced owners these days and know how to get our cars set up in the correct maner ;)

Good darts Steve, can't wait to see the episode :D:D Make damn sure you get a passenger ride at full whack too, now that would be fun...!!! ;)

RichR
07-11-2008, 08:33
I think it Barry from St Albans black one... hardly a well kept example...:laugh:

Ah yes, that's right. He had a four foglight bumper if I recall. But apparently Jason was a real gent, and certainly knew about GT Turbos.

paul b
11-11-2008, 15:35
ANY NEWS YET........................................

i'm like an ickle puppy waiting for the update...I am wagging my tail

dave j gtt
11-11-2008, 16:21
ANY NEWS YET........................................

i'm like an ickle puppy waiting for the update...I am wagging my tail

should put your 9 turbo up against laguna and the 19 16v :D

also get an 11 turbo and put against megan :D

wishful thinking, but would be nice to see :cool:

DaveMayGTT
11-11-2008, 16:49
Paul, were in the same boat.
Wheres the news peeps, brighten up the end of my day at work!!

Purple_rob
11-11-2008, 19:23
Steve you can take my car along as well for "parts" so if a indicator gets broken you can replace it with mine. I can then say "look thats my indicator on that raider going around the track on Fith gear, a bit of my car's on TV!!"

HAHA!!! very funny!.

Looking forward to someone putting the footage up. Good luck!

raj
11-11-2008, 19:28
hurry up with the update :cry: want to know how it all went :) would also like to know when it'll be aired.?

Trevhib
11-11-2008, 19:31
yeah man, make with the update :mad:

:D

Big Steve - Raider
11-11-2008, 20:42
Okay I get the message, sorry for keeping you all in suspense. :rolleyes:

First things first, let me make it perfectly clear; there is nothing glamorous about being on a TV Shoot! I've not been so wet & bleeding cold since double PE at school!!! :mad:

Arrived at Millbrook proving ground at 8:00am as requested & had to sign in at the gatehouse & turn in the Camera I had took with me - So sorry lads no behind the scenes footage for You-tube :cry:

After I was led into the Millbrook complex I finally got to the area where the crew & the cars were & got out & introduced myself. There were 5 camera crew & then two minders who worked for Millbrook whose job was to make sure we didn't go anywhere or do anything we shouldn't!

They were in the process of rigging up the Twingo Renault had supplied. Of course Renault had supplied a Cup version of the Twingo in Silver with the graphite 17 inch wheels & by the looks of its front tyres it had been thrashed round a circuit once or twice in it's short life thus far!!

Soon enough Jason Plato turned up in his Black 08 Reg Mercedes CL63 AMG which looked absolutely amazing & then proceeded to sit in it with the engine running staying dry whilst the rest of us stood outside getting wet. :crap:

First up were a few laps of the Handling Circuit of Millbrook to get to know the Twingo so Jason went out on his own to get a feel for the car. When he came in he got out & commented how it wasn't as gay as he thought it was going to be!!

He then got back into the car with the director in the back & they went out on the timing lap. The timing device used was very accurate & capable of picking up the slightest differences in the two cars.... It was either a Casio or a Sekonda watch!! :crap: :rolleyes:

Whilst they were going round the track doing the timed circuits the rest of the crew were doing static shots of the car driving past in the pi$$ing rain!!!

All the time this was going on I was just left there to talk to the Millbrook Minders & take in the atmosphere of the place. Millbrook is an amazing place!!! For those of you who’ve never heard of the place before it’s the same place that Top Gear used to drive those three trucks around last weekend.

Whilst I stood there test drivers were piloting all these next generation cars around the place covered in all sorts of camouflage from zebra stripes to half a ND tent off the front & back going from one point of the facility to another. I could see a short stretch of the Top Speed Bowl & there were a few tasty pieces of kit running round there at top whack such as the new Lotus Evora (which I was told does about 168mph round the bowl). I also saw a load of the new Vauxhall Insignia’s which were still undergoing final testing.

Anyway soon enough Jason had finished the timed laps in the Twingo & then it was time for him to drive my car. At this point he acknowledged me as the owner & shook my hand & said hello before saying he would be careful with her & then driving off onto the circuit. :)

It sounded & looked absolutely wonderful as it went round & round the circuit with the exhaust shouting out the GTT Growl as best it could!! Again they just videoed it going round at this point before he came in & picked up the director to do the timed laps. :D

When the came back Jason got out & said that driving my car was more fun than driving the Twingo as it’s so much more Raw & you had to predict what the car was going to do rather than just let it do it’s thing like you would in the Twingo. I imagine that’s the effect of ESP & the progresses made in handling in 17 years!!! He said it definatly felt more 'grunty' than the Twingo.

After that they rigged my car with the internal cameras & Jason went out for his talkie bits to camera.

When he came in they moved onto a 57 reg Blue BMW 123d series & 08 Reg White Audi TTD which they were doing the same comparison with head to head on the track for another show. It turned out that they had bought the BMW as they could not get one from BMW themselves & that was going to be the giveaway on that weeks show.

Eventually the finished all the timing & we then moved around the track to other filming positions to get action of all four car’s driving round so Jason was just jumping from one car to another & doing a quick lap to show off to camera.

By 4:00pm it was getting dark & they had finished all the filming so I was let go & could go home to try & warm up again!! Thank god I only had a 30 minute drive home!! :sad2:

I asked the guys when the feature will be on TV & they said that they didn’t know but the new series starts on the 5th Jan 2008 so I’m just going to have to watch the TV Listings like the rest of you.. :crap:

Kris M
11-11-2008, 20:50
Thanks for the write up Steve, looking forward to it :)

Good old raider :D

DaveMayGTT
11-11-2008, 20:52
They take your car, freeze your nads off and then dont even tell you if your car won. thats just plain rude :coffee:
At least it sounds like he preferred the gtt, glad it made it out unscathed, congrats!

Andrew Cooke
11-11-2008, 21:02
yeah, yeah, whatever, how are the brakes :D

Big Steve - Raider
11-11-2008, 21:14
yeah, yeah, whatever, how are the brakes :D

LOL :laugh:

Special Mention to Andrew Cooke for the lend of the uprated pads for the event!!! Thanks mate, much, MUCH appreciated!!! :agree:

You're not getting them back now though!! :( Going to have to track you a new set down! ;)

PM! :D

Andrew Cooke
11-11-2008, 21:22
You're not getting them back now though!! :(

that was a bit unfair of me, I figured it'd be a bit like giving crystal meth to a baby :laugh:

Big Steve - Raider
11-11-2008, 21:31
that was a bit unfair of me, I figured it'd be a bit like giving crystal meth to a baby :laugh:

:mad: F*!king dealers, First Hit's always free!! :sad2: :laugh:

Mart
11-11-2008, 22:04
Good to see you enjoyed the day/experience :sad2: :D

millie
12-11-2008, 08:08
Wow! what an essay! I feel I know about your day now ! :laugh:

HaarlemPaul
12-11-2008, 09:07
Absolutely fantastic, I can't wait to see the footage on TV/youtube/wherever...

Regarding who won though, not sure that's the point of the shoot. And the outcome and perception for the viewer will be heavily dependant on how the shoot is edited. Editing can help convey any message the editor wishes the viewer get.

But by the sounds of things I think the R5 GTT will come out of this triumphant. At least I hope the image will be one of pure respect for a car that's 20 yrs old. And hopefully it helps shed the image of one that has been tarnished in the past by horrid mods and poor maintanance. Well done Steve. You have exercised the voice of many a people on here who both respect and love these darn french tin cans. :agree:

I wonder if I can get my car on a Dutch version of 5th gear?:scared:

5teve L
12-11-2008, 10:10
Shame about the rain, at least it went well, shame it wasn't as glamorous as it sounded :laugh:
Look forward to seeing the program :)

Steve

Amber5GTTurb
12-11-2008, 10:33
Yep i've done a few bits of TV work before - extras n stuff. It's horrible, you're certainly put in your place:(

Can't wait to see it :D

Nayls
12-11-2008, 11:10
I bet they say that the twingo won even if it has'nt!

Andrew Cooke
12-11-2008, 13:13

I'd be surprised if the Twingo wasn't quicker around a circuit.

UNICRONICUS
12-11-2008, 14:09
Did you not get any times from the guys then Steve when they were doing the official time runs, or did you do any cheeky timing for yourself?

ollyhock
12-11-2008, 18:09

thats why they probably didnt give you the times on the day! theyll bullsh1t them so the twingo looks great and renault look as if there going in the right direction.:)

they did it with the 206gti against the 205gti and apparently the 206 was much faster, funny as on paper its sh1t compared to the 205gti

twingo looks as gay as a starlet glanza anyway , and its a sh1t name

look forward to the prog

Woznaldo
13-11-2008, 07:52
Olly, you've definitely got some anger issues you need to work through.:sad2:

ollyhock
13-11-2008, 14:26

yeah i know im working on them:eek:

BriC
13-11-2008, 14:28

HaarlemPaul
13-11-2008, 14:59

Olly,
You're more than welcome to air any criticism you feel you need to, this is a forum after all and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Only one piece of advice, I get the feeling that constructive criticism is better received here and therefore maybe a more diplomatic approach to certain 'views' will go down better.

With respect to your previous comment over the times, I'm not sure what 5th gear would gain from slating an old Renault compared to a newer model. You may be right but, I always (maybe naively) thought that these programmes were meant to give neutral advice and opinions?

paul b
13-11-2008, 15:50
Steve , great write up....sorry the weather was against you and on a wet track the man Plato has done well to bring your baby back......

Well done you for letting him have a play, cause that what it was ans getting some old skool coverage...

Rock on Old Skool..

rs250nut
13-11-2008, 15:58
Rock on Old Skool..[/quote]

ollyhock
13-11-2008, 17:29
Olly,
You're more than welcome to air any criticism you feel you need to, this is a forum after all and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Only one piece of advice, I get the feeling that constructive criticism is better received here and therefore maybe a more diplomatic approach to certain 'views' will go down better.

With respect to your previous comment over the times, I'm not sure what 5th gear would gain from slating an old Renault compared to a newer model. You may be right but, I always (maybe naively) thought that these programmes were meant to give neutral advice and opinions?

its all about revenue these days, for renault the gtt is over it makes no money.
if any car programme reviews two cars, past and present i imagine they have to choose their words very carefully because to slate a new in production car can cost millions.
fifth gear will butter up renault and probably get looked after for doing it, lets face it they can slag the gtt of as much as they want it aint going to affect anybody , but if they slate the twingo, well ?

im just being realistic its a corrupt world, im not being arsey just thats my take on things, probably all sh1t ive said but hey , it past the time:)

Big Steve - Raider
02-01-2009, 18:20
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=37&day=2009-1-12&c=1

Check out the Events Section!! ;)

MR TURBO
02-01-2009, 18:22
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=37&day=2009-1-12&c=1

Check out the Events Section!! ;)

Can't wait bring it on!!!:wasntme::wasntme:

J$£5GTT
02-01-2009, 18:23
next time if they want a modified raider they can use mine !!
:cooter::smokin:

Trevhib
02-01-2009, 23:23
Rock on. It's in my phone as a reminder :)

gttjames
03-01-2009, 09:05
cant wait

5alldaway
03-01-2009, 09:20
cant wait

well your gonna have to wait aintcha!

Amber5GTTurb
07-01-2009, 12:52
Did anyone see it ? I missed it but will watch it on demand.

It was on Monday's show.... http://fifthgear.five.tv/

Amber5GTTurb
07-01-2009, 12:53
No sorry, its on next weeks show. my bad.

UNICRONICUS
07-01-2009, 13:15
Damn it! I will be at my missus's sisters house on the 12th and I can guarantee that they won't want to watch fifth gear :cry: Best pay final gear a visit when I return off my hols.

djinuk
07-01-2009, 13:19
haha was going to say , i watched it this monday, but sadly no r5 :(, :(

Mart
07-01-2009, 17:40

Big Steve - Raider
07-01-2009, 17:50
WIN! :niceone::popcorn::cool2: :yeah:

Woznaldo
07-01-2009, 20:13
If you do end up missing it or just don't get it aired where you live, then you can download from here:

http://www.finalgear.com/

Normally within about 48hrs of the show being aired.;)

finsta
12-01-2009, 10:36
argh!!:mad: im working when this is on tonight. i will see it when i get in with a couple of :beer:. good luck mate.:agree:

Kris M
12-01-2009, 20:06
Well just seen the clip.....great to see the "No bling at the ring" stickers :D

Well done Steve

Trevhib
12-01-2009, 20:07
Feck. The weather killed the Raider :cry:

Quite a good shoot out. Over in a hurry though. Car looked really great Steve. :agree:

The Twingo is a cool little thing too.

Spidey
12-01-2009, 20:38
:mad::cry::mad::cry: Its a conspiracy!!! put them in the dry and see the outcome....:devil:

Car looked awesome mate, shame they didnt show a RTOC sticker.....

Either way I know what I would sooner be riving........:coffee:

DaveMayGTT
13-01-2009, 08:38
They all had some nice things to say about the 5 and seemed to like it. Nice to see such a clean raider but i agree, different outcome in the dry.

Purple_rob
13-01-2009, 19:53
Just if anyone wanted a quick link :)

Really enjoys watching the 5 on a show like this :)

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?mnk=410&id=343&description=RenaultSport+Twingo+133+Cup+v+Renault+ 5+GT+Turbo

jantheeven
14-01-2009, 01:23
Well that outcome was to be expected, wannit?

Trevhib
14-01-2009, 12:31
Well that outcome was to be expected, wannit?

That question's already been answered annit?

BriC
14-01-2009, 12:35
That question's already been answered annit?

I don't know, assit?

jantheeven
14-01-2009, 16:21
:wasntme:

Just trying to fit in and use some English street slang I picked up somewhere... :laugh:

Won't do it again, aight? :D

BriC
14-01-2009, 16:59
seen blud.. seen.

Trevhib
14-01-2009, 17:33
Lol :agree:

jantheeven
14-01-2009, 22:06
seen blud.. seen.

I think I'll go back to the Dutch Renault forum.......... I had to google that........ :ashamed: :wasntme:

MR TURBO
14-01-2009, 23:01
i Think I'll Go Back To The Dutch Renault Forum.......... I Had To Google That........ :ashamed: :wasntme:

Hahahhahahahaha

Deano
15-01-2009, 13:07

links to download the episode if you've not seen it

http://rapidshare.com/files/180381494/Fifth.Gear.S15E01.WS.PDTV.XviD-RiVER.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/180382468/Fifth.Gear.S15E01.WS.PDTV.XviD-RiVER.part2.rar

Your 5 looks tidy mate well done, :smokin:

jantheeven
15-01-2009, 15:05
My 5? Thanks for the episode! :agree:

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 16:27
load of bollocks, i said from the start fifth gear will get a pay out for bulling up the twingo!

what a corrupt world we live in

Mart
15-01-2009, 16:42
I must've watched a different Fifth Gear then, as I heard nothing but praise for the gtt, all things considered. Rating it on par, if not better, than a Golf GTi, which in itself is a cult classic, no question, is somewhat of an accolade I'd say.

The Twingo was always gonna be the quickest around that track. As I've just mentioned in the other thread, the gtt is now 25 years old. Technology have moved on somewhat since then!

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 16:48
I must've watched a different Fifth Gear then, as I heard nothing but praise for the gtt, all things considered. Rating it on par, if not better, than a Golf GTi, which in itself is a cult classic, no question, is somewhat of an accolade I'd say.

The Twingo was always gonna be the quickest around that track. As I've just mentioned in the other thread, the gtt is now 25 years old. Technology have moved on somewhat since then!

he said it had under steer, oversteer, he had already made up his mind or been told that the twingo was going to be better, he said he thought the twingo would win from the start and it did how suprizing

my colt czt has "A" holed a twingo and my gtt is faster than the colt so somethings wrong somebodys telling fibs

my gtt handles a lot better than my colt turbo which is new, but thats not hard the colt is like a pig on roller skates

Misky
15-01-2009, 16:51
I totally agree mart!
I was impressed with 5's effort! and they gave it an excellent review! the show shifted the negative stereotype that these cars can & have recieved. I dont understand how can anyone critise that!

It put a smile on my face & made me proud to be a 5 gtt owner!

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 16:55
I totally agree mart!
I was impressed with 5's effort! and they gave it an excellent review! the show shifted the negative stereotype that these cars can & have recieved. I dont understand how can anyone critise that!

It put a smile on my face & made me proud to be a 5 gtt owner!

your easy pleased then mate!

your happy to see a gtt get beaten convincingly buy a car thats booked at 0-60 in 8,7 seconds.

he was over 2 seconds quicker in the twingo which is a lot for the same driver on the same track.

Mart
15-01-2009, 16:56
Perhaps the fact that he's a bloody good btcc driver could possibly indicate he knows how a car handles inside out, and thus from that, he deduced which was gonna be the winner before putting in the timed lap...no? :rolleyes:

As said, it's 25 years old technology vs new blood. You wouldn't say a Commodore Vic-20 is superior to the PC's of today, would you?

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 16:59
Perhaps the fact that he's a bloody good btcc driver could possibly indicate he knows how a car handles inside out, and thus from that, he deduced which was gonna be the winner before putting in the timed lap...no? :rolleyes:

As said, it's 25 years old technology vs new blood. You wouldn't say a Commodore Vic-20 is superior to the PC's of today, would you?

your going off the beaten track a bit were talking cars not computers

my point is just didnt you know the twingo was going to win?

if they thought it had any doubt they wouldnt have chosen it.

im just saying that my gtt would beat it o-60 and top speed , ive never been on the track with it but my gtt handles ok to me

Mart
15-01-2009, 17:05
I was using it as an example :rolleyes:

So you've never been on track, yet you're still confident you'd beat it on a hot lap?

Sounds to me like your talents are wasted on here. Try emailing these instead: byebyeAlonso@Renault-F1.com

:dearme:

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 17:07
I was using it as an example :rolleyes:

So you've never been on track, yet you're still confident you'd beat it on a hot lap?

Sounds to me like your talents are wasted on here. Try emailing these instead: byebyeAlonso@Renault-F1.com

:dearme:

ive been on the track ,just notwith the gtt

im sayning that my colt is 170 bhp and it wouldget beaten by me inmy gtt

so a133bhp twingo?

Mart
15-01-2009, 17:31
Dude, there's more to it than the 0-60 time or top speed of your car. Sure, on a 1/4 mile strip, you may well have the Twingo, but on track it's all about corners and carrying speed through them - That's obviously where the Twingo trounced the gtt, hence the quicker times.

That, and the possibility that the gtt could've been wheel-spinning everytime the gas pedal was floored, hence losing acceleration/speed there as well.

I don't deny back-handers do take place with car manufacturers/tv companies, but I'd personally say this 'shoot-out' was a fair, expected, outcome.

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 17:36
Dude, there's more to it than the 0-60 time or top speed of your car. Sure, on a 1/4 mile strip, you may well have the Twingo, but on track it's all about corners and carrying speed through them - That's obviously where the Twingo trounced the gtt, hence the quicker times.

That, and the possibility that the gtt could've been wheel-spinning everytime the gas pedal was floored, hence losing acceleration/speed there as well.

I don't deny back-handers do take place with car manufacturers/tv companies, but I'd personally say this 'shoot-out' was a fair, expected, outcome.

evo mag did a report the other month and they thought the gtt handled great

tom t
15-01-2009, 17:37
i think it was fair aswell really looked like the twingo was going around the corners quicker.

plus plato would have blatently wanted to brake earlier in the gtt no abs and the fact it was steves lovely raider an the fact that if he smashed the twingo he wouldnt have been to bothered i dont think.

bit gutted the 5 dint win though

Mart
15-01-2009, 17:42
evo mag did a report the other month and they thought the gtt handled great

No-one's denying that. I'm well aware that Evo mag rates the gtt with 5 stars.

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 17:45
No-one's denying that. I'm well aware that Evo mag rates the gtt with 5 stars.

thats ok if everybody here is cool with the result.

im just saying that personally my gtt is quicker than my colt czt which is about 40 bhp more than the twingo and weighs 1070kg

my gtt also handles better than my colt czt , so in my opinion is that unless this twingo is absoluotly amazing then my gtt would beat it .

Mart
15-01-2009, 18:33
You're comparing 2 completely different cars, so that'd be a worse comparison test than the Twingo vs gtt.

Perhaps it's just me again, but I'm failing to see what you're getting at?

im just saying that personally my gtt is quicker than my colt czt which is about 40 bhp more than the twingo and weighs 1070kg
my gtt also handles better than my colt czt , so in my opinion is that unless this twingo is absoluotly amazing then my gtt would beat it .

http://bekspejs.blox.pl/resource/rabbit_pancake.jpg

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 18:36
You're comparing 2 completely different cars, so that'd be a worse comparison test than the Twingo vs gtt.

Perhaps it's just me again, but I'm failing to see what you're getting at?

http://bekspejs.blox.pl/resource/rabbit_pancake.jpg

how am i comparing different cars?:crap:
there both hatch backs and small

Mart
15-01-2009, 18:42
You're on a wind-up, right?

They're not even the same manufacturer for starters, so not exactly the world's greatest comparison contest is it...

D4WNO
15-01-2009, 18:44
Lol, can't believe you're comparing a GTT with a Mitisi Colt :laugh:

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 18:46

im comparing because i have them both so i can test each one against the other

hey mart how many car programmes test cars against a different manufacturer?

all of them

Tiny Tim
15-01-2009, 18:49
It wasnt a Colt on Fith Gear though was it YOU PLANK. :sad2:

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 18:49
and why?

Mart
15-01-2009, 18:50

all of them

Ok, but your point is?

Actually, don't bother, as this has turned into another classic nonsensical rtoc thread, of which I now can't be bothered to carry on posting in.

Tiny Tim
15-01-2009, 18:50
Ok, but your point is?

Actually, don't bother, as this has turned into another classic nonsensical rtoc thread, of which I now can't be bothered to carry on posting in.

At least he can see your posts Mart ;)

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 18:51
It wasnt a Colt on Fith Gear though was it YOU PLANK. :sad2:

read the other comments fool, it was a comparisson.

isaid that my colt was 170 bhp and wasnt as fast or handled as well as my gtt

Tiny Tim
15-01-2009, 18:54
AWESOME.

My cat has more legs than I do.

There you go, another comparrison.

Trevhib
15-01-2009, 18:54

all of them

Olly. You're so far out it's unreal lad. If the Twingo had beaten the GTT like that in the dry I'd be as suspicious as you. However, as has been thoroughly asserted already, it was a soaking wet day and that makes so much difference (bad for the GTT and good for the Twingo in comparison), the GTT could never have won, especially on those tyres. I doubt it would have won with another 50bhp mate. Give up, there's no conspiracy and you're making yourself look like a doober. Whatever one of those is. :sad2:

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 19:01
Olly. You're so far out it's unreal lad. If the Twingo had beaten the GTT like that in the dry I'd be as suspicious as you. However, as has been thoroughly asserted already, it was a soaking wet day and that makes so much difference (bad for the GTT and good for the Twingo in comparison), the GTT could never have won, especially on those tyres. I doubt it would have won with another 50bhp mate. Give up, there's no conspiracy and you're making yourself look like a doober. Whatever one of those is. :sad2:

you just cant resist always getting the last very opinionated word in, i see in another thread you also askink some one to ask themselves this or that

but you cant resist can you, your a control freak

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 19:02
black

Ian S
15-01-2009, 19:03
the gtt is now 25 years old. Technology have moved on somewhat since then!

But has it moved on for the Twingo?

Does it still have the basic struts at the front and trailing arm at the rear like the 5GTT, the Clio, etc?

My tiny Fiat has angled rear wishbone trailing arms with coil springs. But then the Italians were always known for corning whereas the French were about baskets of eggs over ploughed fields.

I know the Renault Spider has proper suspension, having seen it first hand; Bilsteins, adjustable geometry, even at the rear (ie the variation of camber and toe as the wheel height varies with body roll). Don't recall if it had twin wish bones front and rear; maybe.

The Twingo though?? I'd guess not.

So as the 5GTT must have had both greater power and torque, and due to the wet there would be little body roll so if the Twingo did have better suspension geometry it would have had a reduced advantage. Maybe the Twingo has a better chassis balance.

Otherwise it's all tyres. And maybe brake balance, and the Twingo has ABS.

That was a VERY narrow track and the 5GTT was drifting. He said it was difficult to drive. Maybe he was holding back a bit so as to not bin it.

Trevhib
15-01-2009, 19:05
you just cant resist always getting the last very opinionated word in, i see in another thread you also askink some one to ask themselves this or that

but you cant resist can you, your a control freak

:laugh: you're the only one spouting transparent rubbish about the fifth gear shoot out and you think the comments above are going to put me in a bad light? go ahead mate.

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 19:08
:laugh: you're the only one spouting transparent rubbish about the fifth gear shoot out and you think the comments above are going to put me in a bad light? go ahead mate.

where did you come from mate.

are yoy paranoid

Trevhib
15-01-2009, 19:10
where did you come from mate.

are yoy paranoid

I've been here over ten years.

I'm out of this conversation.

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 20:27
AWESOME.

and more brain cells

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-01-2009, 20:41
Dont get me wrong i would have thought the GTT would win but remember the suspension wouldnt be as new as the twingo's...

The twingo also had lower profile tyres that would help...

Although the raider was on new Unirolyal's the design is an old design...
hence the comments "old tyres" also very high profile compared to the twingo.

Also remember this Plato is driving both cars very hard in the wet... if he were to push 1 of the cars more to the limit would it be a car with AirBags, Safety cell, Crush zones or a car that only crush zone is your face???

The twingo won purely because it did a faster lap... We could all argue that when we drove/raced against X car our GTT won.. but unless it was you driving the same car on the same track with the same weather condisions you can not compare the timings...

5th gear did use the same driver, same track, same weather conditions... and the Twingo won... get over it... move on!

ollyhock
15-01-2009, 20:51
Dont get me wrong i would have thought the GTT would win but remember the suspension wouldnt be as new as the twingo's...

The twingo also had lower profile tyres that would help...

Although the raider was on new Unirolyal's the design is an old design...
hence the comments "old tyres" also very high profile compared to the twingo.

Also remember this Plato is driving both cars very hard in the wet... if he were to push 1 of the cars more to the limit would it be a car with AirBags, Safety cell, Crush zones or a car that only crush zone is your face???

The twingo won purely because it did a faster lap... We could all argue that when we drove/raced against X car our GTT won.. but unless it was you driving the same car on the same track with the same weather condisions you can not compare the timings...

5th gear did use the same driver, same track, same weather conditions... and the Twingo won... get over it... move on!

im over it:)

CJ GTT
16-01-2009, 16:36
hey tiny tim

my cat has 2 legs and an axle through the hips,i feel sorry for it,,,,,,not as much now ive dropped it 3" and given him a couple of alloys.

your cat fancy a race :laugh: then we can compare?

well done to big steves motor for putting in a top performance

big well done from me m8

Russgt5
19-01-2009, 15:03
lets also remember the Twingo was borrowed from Renault (not short on money) so in thoery could have the tits ragged off it without any repercussions........the 5 on the otherhand was 20 years old and privately owned by someone who has obviously spent lots of money/time and love on it so Plato was hardly gonna risk the wrath of the owner by pushing his "baby" too hard and breaking it or binning it.Good test tho,lovely Raider!:agree:
LoL@Olly

5teve L
20-01-2009, 00:09
AWESOME.

That made me LOL, another classic Timmay quote :D

daveybgtt
20-01-2009, 13:24

I enjoyed that! (Seeing the raider, as opposed to ollyhock's shenanigans;)) I don't think it really matters that the twingo "beat" the 5, it doesn't devalue the 5 or the amount of pleasure you get in owning and driving one, it's not all about a few seconds difference round a track :cool:

Put it this way, what's going to get noticed and appreciated by joe public, the classic 5, or the generic, looks like every other new car twingo.

Andrew Cooke
20-01-2009, 13:26
Put it this way, what's going to get noticed and appreciated by joe public, the classic 5, or the generic, looks like every other new car twingo.

Twingo, all day, every day:cry:

daveybgtt
20-01-2009, 13:30

****ing joe public! :mad:

Haha!

Tiny Tim
20-01-2009, 13:42
Calm DOWN dear, its only an inanimate object...

dgdogz
20-01-2009, 13:47
as stated before
in my eyes the twingo would have won
its a new car they want to give a good rep to boost sales
5's aint the be all and end of all of the car world but we love them
im sure thers a twingo forum somewer were the members are creaming ther drawers.
its no problem...tyres and wet wasnt in favour of the 5.
suspension setup and the like.
we love our 5's end of story.
i wouldnt buy a twingo on its looks...never mind performance
thats my preference
come on lads lets not argue so much

:)

smile its a tuesday!!!!

Bigfoot
20-01-2009, 15:19
http://www.twingooc.com/index.php/topic,1142.0.html

Dont think they were that bothered about it all really :laugh: