PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Carb that needs setting up..???

raj
26-02-2011, 11:41

TNT ANDY
27-02-2011, 17:45
Yo Raj - don't know if it needs setting up or anything but what I do know is that if you're over fueling it has a much better chance of starting than under fueling.

James5
02-03-2011, 08:11
ive just got a temporary 2day insurance on the 5 so i took it out for a drive.

so reagrding the afr readings via the aem wideband.

when warm at idle its in the 11s - 12s but i also saw it hit 10.0 :scared:

its obvious that the carb is over fuelling and i cannot remember what jets the carb has:confused:

so im going to start with a fresh carb which ive rebuilt.

my question is... what jets would i need to run about 16psi?
i dont want to touch the second stage jet as im not confident at drilling this plus would i even need to to run 16psi?

also out of interest,what size jets does a std carb have?

Standard carb jets are:

120main
1.25 air corrector,
1.0 1st
1.0 2nd stage
1.7 needle jet

I would get the carb to this spec as you say and set boost for standard boost level and see what the afr's are doing.

If you are wanting to run 16psi you will probably be needing to open up the 2nd stage (as 2nd stage control's the on fueling), it's easy to do just do it slow and have plenty of spray carb cleaner to hand as you will be creating swarf and it will take some time to clean out of the carb.

10 - 12's on the afr's for idle is to rich you want to really be around 14.7 which is stoich but all engine's are different, dependant on cam spec's and engine's themselves I tend to look for where it idles and sounds nicely on my car that is about 14.1, WOT driving you want to be no leaner than 12.1

SCHWARTZ
02-03-2011, 10:13
Have you adkusted the idle mix screw? Also make sure the tip of the screw is still there.