PDA

View Full Version : tyre advice, run flats

TNT Tricky Nicky
22-02-2011, 21:49
not sure where to put this put this but after some advice on tyres

basically my other half has a 2004 mini one with 17" cooper s alloys, she had the car serviced about 4-6 weeks ago and had an advisory for low tyre tread, 3 @3mm and 1 @ 2mm

her mot is due in next couple of weeks and she's worrying that it'll fail on tyres, even though I've told her they're still legal and she will pass with advisory.

currently it has 4 pirelli euphoria run flats and ideally would like to keep it that way but at £130-£160 a corner it's going to cost a small fortune which isn't great timing :(

so if we need to get new tires do they have to be run flats, if so can anybody recommend a cheap run flat or can we just put normal tyres on?

dangerous dave
22-02-2011, 22:10
when they stuck runflats on the cars people moaned they were too hard etc, so they set the cars to deal with the rock fecking hard tyre walls.. now take away those rock hard tyre walls and run normal tyres on and i think things wont be what you remember when driving about..

you should change all 4, you shouldnt mix and match but you can bin them.. i've changed runflats for normal but i think its cnuty.. a runflat could save a life in some extreme cases, but take that away and the unthinkable happened, you'd be full of what-if's:(

TNT Tricky Nicky
22-02-2011, 22:25
thanks dave, i see what you're saying, was thinking reinforced side walls if it should go down that route but will probably end up doing a pair at a time with run flats.

i didn't know how the car recognised if run flats where there or not, or there was any special set up to run them, i guess they'd still tell you you had a puncture but you'd know anyway :laugh:

actually just been looking at ebay for different wheels as it would still work out cheaper to buy 4 wheels and tyres rather than replace the tyres that are on there

dangerous dave
22-02-2011, 22:51
thanks dave, i see what you're saying, was thinking reinforced side walls if it should go down that route but will probably end up doing a pair at a time with run flats.

i didn't know how the car recognised if run flats where there or not, or there was any special set up to run them, i guess they'd still tell you you had a puncture but you'd know anyway :laugh:

actually just been looking at ebay for different wheels as it would still work out cheaper to buy 4 wheels and tyres rather than replace the tyres that are on there

normally the valve has a sensor on it that tells the car if its flat and also what tyres flat.. do a front to back and that fecks it right up, the car will tell you the rear lefts flat when that tyres gone front right:cartman: crash incoming..

tyres are always a sh1t, companys always want mega money so just search about, they can do a deal or you can get better off the net..

raj
22-02-2011, 22:57
ive also changed runflats for std tyres.
the ride was so much more comfortable with the std tyres (all 4). this was on a e60 520d m-sport.

TNT ANDY
22-02-2011, 23:24
Yo tricky - go black circles on a budget tyre, you'll get half the price, and on a mini 1, you really don't need top quality tyres, they aint a performance car. I've gone budget on the cooper 's'.

Unless she drives like Hamond that is.

markey b
23-02-2011, 00:37
my other half has a '51 mini cooper, its not wearing runflats, just pirelli p6000's that were on it when she got it, it does have the little button under the handbrake however?!?:confused:

philg
23-02-2011, 08:31
I would fit non runflats if it was me, i had run flats on my cooper s and on my e90, hatted them, if the time had come on either car to replace i was going to go with normal tyres.

A few friends of mine changed theirs to normal tyres one with a cooper s and one with a e60, much better drive, more comfortable, better handling, last longer and the are half the price, no brainer really.

Fishey
23-02-2011, 11:15
One thing to remember is you have no spare when you have runflats, so if you fit standard tyres and you get a puncture you are stuck!

James5
23-02-2011, 11:19
One thing to remember is you have no spare when you have runflats, so if you fit standard tyres and you get a puncture you are stuck!

Like most of us 5 owners then whom have removed spare wheel cage, Can of Tyre weld is what you need and if it's really bad i.e shredded tyre RAC card:agree:

Fishey
23-02-2011, 11:21
Like most of us 5 owners then whom have removed spare wheel cage, Can of Tyre weld is what you need and if it's really bad i.e shredded tyre RAC card:agree:
Fair point!:D

TNT Tricky Nicky
23-02-2011, 18:17
oddly enough it does have the bmw puncture repair kit, foam + compressor in the boot :agree:

thanks for the replys guys, will just wait to see what they say at the mot before i go any further with it :coffee:

JRP
23-02-2011, 18:34
Save up and keep them

check my previous thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=18114&highlight=run+flats

TNT Tricky Nicky
23-02-2011, 20:11
check my previous thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=18114&highlight=run+flats

never thought of searching run flat, a rookie mistake, my bad :dearme:

JRP
23-02-2011, 22:56
Not a dig dude in anyway at all... just so you could see the epic'ness of how good the run flats were for me:agree:

TNT ANDY
23-02-2011, 23:10
Tricky - did you check out black circles?

what size is on it?

TNT Tricky Nicky
24-02-2011, 19:18
Not a dig dude in anyway at all... just so you could see the epic'ness of how good the run flats were for me:agree:

don't worry buddy, i didn't take it that way at all. thanks for pointing me in that direction, i think it will be a case of save some pennies and keep them, after all if she gets a puncture it would only be me who would have to go out and sort it :laugh:

Andy, i've have had a look and can't remember how they compaired now, it's rolling on 205/45/17 hence the big bucks