PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Raider

haizyr5gtt
02-11-2008, 23:16
First post!

wel im james. 19 years old. just bought my first car and it happens to be my dream car that i got. 1990 renault 5 gt turbo raider. :) BUT....................................... i had it for 6 hours and it died:cry: so i investigated into it and had it inspected. the engine that was in ther was fresh from a rebuild aprox 450 miles ago:). so what could have gone wrong??? the nob who done it rushed it and didnt seet the valves correctly:sad2: so now i have to fork out more money for another rebuild.:mad:

can anybody recomend a good company that does warrenties on their rebuilds but is not stupidly priced:)

thanx

BriC
02-11-2008, 23:18
Can't help you on the rebuild front, but good to see that the engine dying hasn't dampened your love for the car, unlike with some people :agree:

Also good to have another 19 year old on RTOC :D

dave j gtt
02-11-2008, 23:21
who said the valves arnt seated correct ?

what happen when engine died ?

as much info on your profile page will help you know end in the furture ;)

haizyr5gtt
02-11-2008, 23:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

haha gta start young ey.

wel i had a mechanic come out and he said that it wasnt burning the fuel and the oil while running. and he said this was due to the valves not being seated properly and said im looking at a definate top end rebuild and possibly bottom if damge has spread.

it ran fine for 100 miles then just spluttered and cut out with quite a bit of smoke around.lol. was over heated and oil pressure was on 5 this was weird as i was staying below 50mph to run the new parts in. then after 20 mins of cooling it stared and i drove it very slowly home leaving a nice thick cloud of smoke behind me.

it has the symptoms of a blown turbo but its been taken apart and its fine. it has the symptoms of a blown headgasket but water is stil there and oil is still full and as black as normal.

ur opinions please???

Scoff
02-11-2008, 23:37
there still isn't enough information there to know exactly what's happened.

do these tests:

remove the oil filler cap, look at the oil on the cap, it should be nice brown (or black if its old). If there is white "mayo" like cream mixed in with the oil then your headgasket has probably gone (maybe a result of it overheating)

if the oil under the cap looks clean, look in the header expansion tank, that should be clean water too (well OK, probably brown by now) but there should not be oil in there (IE rainbow effects)

If both of those are OK then look at what colour the smoke is. If its light blue and smells like burning oil then maybe its time for a new turbo.

BriC
02-11-2008, 23:41

do these tests:

remove the oil filler cap, look at the oil on the cap, it should be nice brown (or black if its old). If there is white "mayo" like cream mixed in with the oil then your headgasket has probably gone (maybe a result of it overheating)

if the oil under the cap looks clean, look in the header expansion tank, that should be clean water too (well OK, probably brown by now) but there should not be oil in there (IE rainbow effects)

If both of those are OK then look at what colour the smoke is. If its light blue and smells like burning oil then maybe its time for a new turbo.

Just do whatever he says.. Trust me, it's for the best.

raj
02-11-2008, 23:48

do these tests:

remove the oil filler cap, look at the oil on the cap, it should be nice brown (or black if its old). If there is white "mayo" like cream mixed in with the oil then your headgasket has probably gone

just to add, if your doing the above in this cold weather you may have mayo under the filler cap due to condensation too.

D4WNO
03-11-2008, 13:29
James, as per the PM I sent you, I moved your thread into this section for better visability. I hope the guys can help you out :agree:

haizyr5gtt
03-11-2008, 18:49
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i had a little play with it tonight. it started after a little while of trying but was a little bit smokey (could be turbo but have been told my turbo is fine) i thought it could have been down to the weather and the choke being on.:confused:

the water is stil in the header tank but has bits of oil and dirt in it but i have been told this could be down to the recent rebuild (aprox 500 miles ago):confused:

slight bit of cream on oil cap but dipstick is cream free.

any advice please?

i have received t2 emails showed below. any comments on them please let me know:

email 1: Thank you for your recent enquiry for an engine for a Renault 5 1.4GT Turbo 1990
We can supply a fully remanufactured, service exchange complete tested engine for this vehicle at £845.00 + Vat
The engine is in stock and available for next day delivery. The unit carries a 12 month / unlimited mileage warranty for both parts & labour. If the unit had a problem concerning component failure or remanufacturing fault during the warranty period, then we would repair or replace the engine and pay for all relevant labour charges at any garage in the UK.
Delivery charge is £50 + Vat. This charge also includes the subsequent collection of the old unit.
No surcharge is raised at the time of supply. However, if the old unit is not returned within 28 days or the unit has a holed cylinder block or incomplete, then a surcharge will be raised.
However, in view of the age of the vehicle, you may be more interested in a low mileage engine. We have a fully tested, low mileage engine available for your vehicle. The price is £495.00 + Vat. The unit carries a 3 month, unlimited mileage parts only warranty. Carriage is as quoted above.
I hope this quotation is of interest and look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Harvey Smith

email 2:
Thanks for your enquiry.

Why replace your engine when we can remanufature it?

Have a remanufactured engine cheaper than a secondhand one!

Remanufacture your existing engine for only £895+ vat.*

But what are the benefits of an engine remanufacture?

Having a remanufactured engine with zero mileage

No need to change engine numbers with the DVLA

Fast turn around

Not only all of the above but many times it works out cheaper to remanufacture your engine than supply a used one!

We can collect and re-deliver your engine for £70 +vat (both ways)

Fitted Remanufacture your existing Engine^

Remove, Re-manufacture, and refit customer’s existing engine £895.00 + vat.*
Engine oil, oil filter & fitting gaskets are £85.00+vat
Labour £200.00+vat
Total £1180.00+vat

ü Up to 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty available for fitted Engine (subject to conditions)^

ü Courier Collection & Delivery

ü 12 months / 12,000 mile warranty available (subject to conditions)

ü Check out our website and take a “virtual tour”

ü Engine delivery worldwide