PDA

View Full Version : Head/carb questions.

Misky
03-11-2008, 09:18
Hi guys this weekend has been fairly productive for me in terms of fixin the the 5!
I have removed the head to replace the gasket for the first time! :ashamed:
Which I found to to be rather easy after deciding on weather to remove the exhaust manifold from the head first or after.

I have a couple of questions which I thought some of you may be able to help with?

1) I had a massive water leak around the water pump area a while back and now the head is off I can see the water pump has been welded due to a crack, but they have just blown it rather than actually getting any weld on :sad2:
So the previous owners have used some green gunk and bolted it up!!!! now I can not remove it!! How can I do this without damaging the head?

2) Im a bit of a noob when it comes to carbs. So after cleaning my carb yesterday I noticed that the throttle does not spring closed like the choke. Should it do this? Also there is a fair amount of play from the throttle leaver and the butterfly wing, can that be fixed by tightening it up?

Any help would be great!

Misky
03-11-2008, 20:23
Sorted my carb issue out.
Help with water pump removal pretty please!!

Kris M
03-11-2008, 20:31
Water pumps can be a pain to remove mate. The head it aluminium and the bolts are steel, the corrode like hell and ususally sheer off when removed. This welding and "green gunk" sound abit strange.

Just try and undo the bolts and get the pump off, you may need to gently lever it due to the sealant. You may find that that if you snap any bolts you should be able to get a set of mole grips on them once the waterpump is removed, then get yourself a new waterpump and gaskets and start again :)

Shane P
03-11-2008, 20:35
I noticed that the throttle does not spring closed like the choke. Should it do this?

The choke isnt spring-loaded, the throttle is :)

Is the water pump still stuck on after you remove the bolts?

Misky
03-11-2008, 20:40
Yeh cheers! realised i was looking at it the wrong way! :ashamed: lol

as for the pump, the bolts are removed and this green gunk is what is left holding it on. Is solid!!! i had a mate hold the head whilst i used a mallet but that didnt work, and i dont know where i can leaver it off from. :confused:

Kris M
03-11-2008, 20:46
you could try GENTLY heating the pump body to see if it loosens the sealant ??, are you sure you have removed all 7 bolts ?? There is one sneaky one behind the pully ;)

Misky
03-11-2008, 21:03
yeh 100% positive doubled checked just then.
Cool, il try that then see what happens! if not Oldham engine parts can remove it when the check it. lol

Should i asked them to anything else with the they head besides pressure test & skim if needs be?

Mart
03-11-2008, 21:06
Get the manifolds matched...

Misky
03-11-2008, 21:09
Cheers mart! duno what that is but i will find out! :scared:

Mart
03-11-2008, 21:14
Removes any 'steps' from where the manifold ports line upto the head ports. Makes for a nice, smooth, transistion of flow.

Misky
03-11-2008, 21:17
Nice one! I get you.
Learn something new everyday!
Top set of guys!

Mart
03-11-2008, 21:21
If the valve guides aren't worn, or if they're fitting new ones anyway, don't bother re-fitting the stem seals.