PDA

View Full Version : Fitting AFR gauge

BriC
10-02-2011, 13:33
I plan on fitting my AFR gauge this weekend. I bought it second hand from 5teve L ages ago...

Will it need calibrating, or is it a case of wire it up and go? I have a thread already in my exhaust which is currently filled by an old campus lambda sensor.

Also, I believe the mix to have on idle is about 14.7... and am I right in saying the higher the number, the leaner the mix, as the number is the measurement of air? And what sort of AFR should I be looking for at WOT?

markey b
10-02-2011, 13:47
I plan on fitting my AFR gauge this weekend. I bought it second hand from 5teve L ages ago...

Will it need calibrating, or is it a case of wire it up and go? I have a thread already in my exhaust which is currently filled by an old campus lambda sensor.

Also, I believe the mix to have on idle is about 14.7... and am I right in saying the higher the number, the leaner the mix, as the number is the measurement of air? And what sort of AFR should I be looking for at WOT?

what gauge is it? AEM are plug and play, innovate need calibrating

James5
10-02-2011, 13:54
If it's Steve's one it's the Innovate LC-1 with DB gauge (blue led one), It would definatly calibrating but that's easy to do wire it all up and just follow the calibration instructions. This lC-1 and DB worked very well on Steve's car one of the only ones I have seen not to be faulty:laugh:

BriC
10-02-2011, 14:19
If it's Steve's one it's the Innovate LC-1 with DB gauge (blue led one), It would definatly calibrating but that's easy to do wire it all up and just follow the calibration instructions. This lC-1 and DB worked very well on Steve's car one of the only ones I have seen not to be faulty:laugh:

Yeh that's right - the one you brought to ND for Steve about 2 years ago if you remember..

Not sure if it still has the instructions. Will have to have a look.

markey b
10-02-2011, 14:22
my lc-1 was perfect, for about 5 days :laugh:

James5
10-02-2011, 14:22
Yeh that's right - the one you brought to ND for Steve about 2 years ago if you remember..

Not sure if it still has the instructions. Will have to have a look.

Feck me i forgot I took it to Nat Day for you:ashamed::laugh:

Couple of guides attached

James5
10-02-2011, 14:25
my lc-1 was perfect, for about 5 days :laugh:

I never actually used mine for to long ended up selling the car and buying another 5, I have had a few afr's setup's now lC-1+DB, xd-16 +LC-1, lm-1 and currently the AEM Uego alot simple plug it in and that's it job done no pissing about the only innovate product that was any good was the LM-1 but it's the size of a fecking brick

5teve L
10-02-2011, 14:28
I bought mine from a different supplier.. you know, before they rushed all those faulty units out to the rest of RTOC :cooter:

Yes it needs calibrating :)

SCHWARTZ
10-02-2011, 15:08
had no probs with mine also i have the instructions here if ya need info give me a shout;)

BriC
16-04-2011, 16:03
Just finished wiring this up, and calibrated it. On cold idle I'm getting an AFR of 22.4. That seems far too lean! Have I calibrate it wrong, or is 20's on idle acceptable? Surely I would have blown the headgasket by now if not??

Brigsy
16-04-2011, 16:06
Your engine wont idle at 22.4 the gauge isnt reading correctly matey.

BriC
16-04-2011, 16:18
Is it the calibration then do you think, or is it more likely an issue with the sensor or lc-1?

BriC
16-04-2011, 16:27
Just another thought - would a blowing exhaust affect the readings? Reason I ask is, when we recently had it on the rolling road, their gauge was reading an AFR of 16.5 @ 4000RPM, however I read somewhere on here that with those sort of AFR's, it should be juddery and feel like the car is holding back. Mine feels fine. No juddering or holding back at all!

BriC
17-04-2011, 11:27
Bump

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2011, 12:21
Yep a leak in the exhaust/manifold before the sensor will change the afr readings. Did you put tha sensor our in open air etc... And calibrate it like that?

Adam 005
17-04-2011, 12:24
i would think a blowing exhaust would only cause a problem if it's blowing before the lamda sensor:agree::disagree:

BriC
17-04-2011, 12:28
Yeh I put it in the open air when calibrating.

OK, well I'm pretty sure I've got a blow in the exhaust around the downpipe. The sensor is in the exhaust just after the downpipe. I'll try and sort it out, re-calibrate the AFR gauge and see how I get on.

Cheers

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2011, 12:37
Sensor should be about 6-9" away from the turbo elbow. Yours may be too far away and poss cause a prob that way as well.

BriC
17-04-2011, 14:58
I thought heated sensors could go anywhere? If not, then surely the sensors in exhaust clamps wouldn't work properly.

Right, sorted the leak in the exhaust and the readings are much more realistic. However they still seem slightly lean. On wot at high revs I'm getting about 12.8. At lower revs but WOT it's more like 13.5. Is that normal? Once it's cooled down I'm gonna re calibrate it just to make sure it's right.

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2011, 17:45
12 12.2 wot, 13 normal driving, 14.7 idle. Roughly at these sort of figures

BriC
17-04-2011, 17:57
OK, I'll have to have a play with the fueling. It could be that there is another small leak in the exhaust maybe... But I can't find anything. Idle is a lot richer than that, it's about 11.4. Seems weird. Rich on idle, starts out lean on WOT (around 13.5), but then richens out a bit (about 12.8) higher up the revs.

Anything particularly that could cause that?

Brigsy
17-04-2011, 22:42
Id be tempted to move the sensor into the downpipe mate...the joint between downpipe to exhaust always seem to blow at some point.