PDA

View Full Version : Solid top mounts - fitting

Alastair
02-11-2008, 22:02
Has anyone got a diagram / photo of fitting the alloy solid top mounts from the group buy a while back? Just getting round to fitting mine after refurbishing the front struts and thought the top plates were on upside down! The top spring seat seems to be a little large to fit directly too.:confused: Still it was nearly dark and i am blonde!

Alastair
03-11-2008, 07:50
Cheers Rob W, made it through by email mate! I'll try and upload it to the files section for others to use if needed.:agree:

Alastair
03-11-2008, 08:13
Cheers Rob W, made it through by email mate! I'll try and upload it to the files section for others to use if needed.:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?path=Technical%20Files/miscellaneous%20Technical%20Files/

Alastair
03-11-2008, 13:14
I wasnt being so blonde after all, anyone remember who made these solid top mounts as i need a new sleeve making for the damper top.

Cheers
Al

rs250nut
03-11-2008, 21:21
Are they the eccentric ones from compbrake? Do you have to modify the strut top?

Mart
03-11-2008, 21:25
anyone remember who made these solid top mounts...

Not sure if they're the same as the ones you're referring to, but Duncan Grier had a batch of top mounts made up for rtoc members several months ago.

Alastair
03-11-2008, 23:07
Not sure if they're the same as the ones you're referring to, but Duncan Grier had a batch of top mounts made up for rtoc members several months ago.

Mart, yeah I think that was the batch, I got them from another member who didnt need them. Anyway i needed to get hold of the manufacturer as the sleeve nut was the wrong dia and pitch. I managed to drill and re-tap them to fit - M14 by 1.5 for Avos - so no need to call them now, although i did find that the Avo coilovers i have had for ~2 yrs are suffering from a fair bit of corrosion. I was very dissapointed given they were zinc plated and guarenteed... still they have cleaned up ok with a couple of hours work and overnight de-rust.

Having had a good look at them i am now a little peturbed that they will remove about 30mm in total strut height, but i can alays raise the spring height to compensate.