PDA

View Full Version : Track tyre sizes?

philg
09-02-2011, 15:35
I have purchased a set of Williams alloys for the track which have come with 888s 195 50 15.

Problem being my car sits a little lower than most, i really don't want to mess with suspension set up, its really a weekend car that im going to do a few track days in.

As we all know you can not get a 888 in a 45 profile :cry: and with running a 50 my back bumper is just catching.

I have a few options:-

Run the car on toyo proxy's with 45s.
Modify the back bumper back a bit, im sure i could make new mounting holes and pull it back about 10mm and maybe shave a bit of the bumper with the sander.
Or is it possible to fit 165/50R15 888 and stretch it over a 7" wide rim?

How have the other guys managed when running a 50 profile tyre?

philg
09-02-2011, 16:05
the 165 50 15 is not an option, only recommended up to a 6" wide rim, defiantly do not want to risk that on track

Mart
09-02-2011, 16:30
Run Michelin slicks (courtesy of Formula Renault racers) on 13" Cup wheels.

Another good reason to keep the braking system o.e :laugh:

Alastair
09-02-2011, 17:08
I have purchased a set of Williams alloys for the track which have come with 888s 195 50 15.

Problem being my car sits a little lower than most, i really don't want to mess with suspension set up, its really a weekend car that im going to do a few track days in.

As we all know you can not get a 888 in a 45 profile :cry: and with running a 50 my back bumper is just catching.

I have a few options:-

Run the car on toyo proxy's with 45s.
Modify the back bumper back a bit, im sure i could make new mounting holes and pull it back about 10mm and maybe shave a bit of the bumper with the sander.
Or is it possible to fit 165/50R15 888 and stretch it over a 7" wide rim?

How have the other guys managed when running a 50 profile tyre?

Phil,

I have run R888 in 50 profile, along with other moulded slicks without many snags, the main problems you will find are the arches, i had to cut mine way back and re weld the rear arch to the quarter panel (thanks Boris:wasntme:), i also hacked a lot off the front steel too, then i fitted up the glass arches, marked up where they are close and used a flap wheel on an angle grinder to take all the internal edges off leaving the outside sillhouette just in place... having done that i still get a tiny amount of scrubbing at the rear on full compression - it just leaves a witnes mark. Fronts may need spacers to clear the shocks too and you should check your camber if you are low low low ;)

To be honest, you can have just as much fun on a track day with much much cheper t1-R and T1-S tyres, in heavy wet they are better too IMO unles you want to get a tyre cutter out on some SG compound r888.

The reason i say that is you will still go really fast, still corner well once they are hot (if you get pressures right) and you will be able to get to their limit and balance the car in a more controlled manner due to their more progressive slip. Also if you have an off you will do less damage if your not going as quick. Moulded slicks will make you go faster but if your not competing with anyone other than yourself then i would save the cash and experiment with setting the car up (camber castor etc) to get the best out of it.

Either way will be huge fun and i wish you the best - hopefully see you at a TD this year :agree:

J8TRO
09-02-2011, 17:21
if you want Phil, you can fit them to mine and ill do a track day and let you know if i get rubbing. Just so you can have a comparison :cooter:

i presume you would also want me to check the fronts dont rub

philg
09-02-2011, 18:39
I hacked my front arches by about 1" and sanded the inside edge on the front and back kit.

I'm running a 6" spring on my coilovers, another good idea that went wrong, the standard spring would not fit with my momo arrows on, i would have had to raise the height right up to clear the tyre.

Every bloody thing i do to this car is never straight forward :laugh:

I think i will be ok at the fronts, have not got round to putting the car on the floor yet due to my 4 pot nightmare.

Arches seem ok at the rear just the back bumper rubbing.

Im sure i can pull it back a little, im sure its been done before.

I have seem your pictures Alister and i noticed the 888s and williams set up, so it is achievable.