PDA

View Full Version : Paint color advice (Red)

Ashy
07-02-2011, 21:51
Yo, I'm painting the 5 red, I want a nice bright, deep & Shiney Red... I also want to keep it a standard Renault Red if possible however this isn't essential. Its going to be clear over base.

Anyone clued up on options and paint codes etc... best thing would be links to examples if possible..?

I know its not a renault color but I was thinking of VW Tornado Red

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1227&stc=1&d=1141139966

djinuk
07-02-2011, 22:01
what about a darker metalic red, rather than solid red .. somthing like this

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/Red_Clio_V6_1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jiLsBLaOvzE/StWpdZVwPAI/AAAAAAAADL4/zItRnz5olqE/s400/honda+civic+custom+flat.jpg

Hoolio
07-02-2011, 22:03
Clio Trophy capsicum red?

wrightygtt
07-02-2011, 22:10
Ferrari rosso corsa is a nice red.

:)
http://rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1089&pictureid=11904

Ashy
07-02-2011, 22:10
Yeah I was looking at a promotional color called VW Fire Spark Red

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=883&pictureid=14049

But I thought it would make the car look too modern and chavy... I still want it to look fairly standard.... Was reading THIS (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/381133-what-color-red-would-you-choose.html) thread and they talk about viper red (sounds expensive tho)

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/520/4427Dodge_Viper_SRT-10_in_Red_Side_View1.jpg

gimme5
07-02-2011, 22:12
old skool red,this can be done in basecoat:agree:

Matt Cole
07-02-2011, 22:15
Two renault red's marrow:

Ashy
07-02-2011, 22:17
Clio Trophy capsicum red?

Yeah, nice colour but Steveo would never let me live it down....

Ferrari rosso corsa is a nice red.

http://rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1089&pictureid=11904

Nice, is that 2k? or CoB?

I'm really torn... Sometimes I look at tungy resto projects and think it would be better to keep it the original color... Need to decide tho she's booked in in 2 weeks :scared:

Matt Cole
07-02-2011, 22:19
Ten a plenty tungy's marrow. I think that viper red is stunning!!:agree:

Tony Walker
07-02-2011, 22:21
rouge vif :)

J$£5GTT
07-02-2011, 22:21
i like the red on that golf at top...:agree:

wrightygtt
07-02-2011, 22:25
Nice, is that 2k? or CoB?

Hi its Standox waterbased basecoat and pro shine clear over the top ....

djinuk
07-02-2011, 22:26
my advice would be to go to a paint supplier, ask them for the correct renault 5 red.. then maybe go a shade or 2 brighter, fresh paint and a slightly lighter red would mean it will always look super clean aswell as stand out slightly from the rest .. Cheating in a way i guess, nobody will ever guess its actually a diffrent colour :)

rs250nut
07-02-2011, 22:37
You will be shot by the o.e police if you don't keep it o.eeeeeeeee. Mazda velocity red (metallic) is pretty banging, BMW hell rot, BMW cherry red (metallic) house of kolour candy apple red is the $hit . If I were you I would go to your paintshop and ask to take a look at some colour chips, pick a few you like and ask them to do a few spray outs.

SP33DY
08-02-2011, 01:34
Yeah, nice colour but Steveo would never let me live it down....

I think capsicum red would look great on the five, what colour would you do the wheels and cage though?

Ashy
08-02-2011, 07:02
I think capsicum red would look great on the five, what colour would you do the wheels and cage though?

I'm planning to have the cage and wheels done white....

Ashy
08-02-2011, 07:05
You will be shot by the o.e police if you don't keep it o.eeeeeeeee. Mazda velocity red (metallic) is pretty banging, BMW hell rot, BMW cherry red (metallic) house of kolour candy apple red is the $hit . If I were you I would go to your paintshop and ask to take a look at some colour chips, pick a few you like and ask them to do a few spray outs.

When you say ask them to do a few spray outs, what does that mean exactly? Will they paint some bigger samples? (Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at this)

my advice would be to go to a paint supplier, ask them for the correct renault 5 red.. then maybe go a shade or 2 brighter, fresh paint and a slightly lighter red would mean it will always look super clean aswell as stand out slightly from the rest .. Cheating in a way i guess, nobody will ever guess its actually a diffrent colour :)

Good idea, might pop along on Sat AM :)

Two renault red's marrow:

Any idea what the one on the Right is called? looks like a nice deep red however I feel there has been some computer tinkering going on with that pic?

James5
08-02-2011, 08:54
OE is the way forward Ashy I would stay with the Tungy.

Although i do like the Ferrari Corso Red (pic is of Philr5t's project)
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=8743&d=1296089295

rs250nut
08-02-2011, 09:09
Yes just a bigger sample, you can then get a better idea of what the colour will look like outside.

tom t
08-02-2011, 13:11
like that ferrari red alot. Definatley think the clio trophy red would look sweet

tom t
08-02-2011, 13:52
like that ferrari red alot. Definatley think the clio trophy red would look sweet

djinuk
08-02-2011, 14:02
fresh tungsten paint looks amazingggg

philg
08-02-2011, 18:20
fresh tungsten paint looks amazingggg

:agree:

Ashy please keep it tungsten, i know your not thinking now but if you ever sell it tungys seem to be the most popular and a colour change on a car would put me off.

You will then have the two best colours :D

Mart
08-02-2011, 18:40
Could always get it wrapped instead?

That way, you can have whatever colour you want, then peel it all off, if needs be, when it comes to selling time.

Ashy
08-02-2011, 18:58
Could always get it wrapped instead?

That way, you can have whatever colour you want, then peel it all off, if needs be, when it comes to selling time.

Its an option but it really needs painting aswell becasue parts of the car are bare metal...

:agree:

Ashy please keep it tungsten, i know your not thinking now but if you ever sell it tungys seem to be the most popular and a colour change on a car would put me off.

You will then have the two best colours :D

I know what you mean and I have considered it but tbh the cars far from standard so I doubt one less thing standard would put potential buyers off... Plus I doubt I'd ever sell it tbh :dearme:

philg
08-02-2011, 19:00
Have a look at benjs car, grey grey grey mate :)

wrightygtt
08-02-2011, 19:36
everyman and his dogs got a white or grey one...;)joking. They look smart
Red will be the new white ....:scared: I'll shut up tho cos i'll be rolling in my black one soon:cool:

What does Dave sbs reckon?

Ashy
08-02-2011, 20:17
What does Dave sbs reckon?

Duno mate, been trying to get in touch with him for nearly 2 months and I've given up. Its booked in locally now so fingers crossed they do a good job :)

Not sure whats happened to Dave but can't let it drag on or the cars got no chance of being ready for the events this year!

wrightygtt
08-02-2011, 20:24
ohh i didn't know that... How long do the bodyshop reckon they'll have it for? is it gonna be a bare shell come respray?

Ashy
08-02-2011, 21:06
ohh i didn't know that... How long do the bodyshop reckon they'll have it for? is it gonna be a bare shell come respray?

It currently is a bare shell mate, I've stripped it down to sort all the rot... Its been sitting ready to paint since Christmas :coffee:

philg
09-02-2011, 08:16
Duno mate, been trying to get in touch with him for nearly 2 months and I've given up. Its booked in locally now so fingers crossed they do a good job :)

Not sure whats happened to Dave but can't let it drag on or the cars got no chance of being ready for the events this year!

Its sad about dave, im sure he would have done a great job for you. I was speaking to mat and his brother is having a real bad time with dave.

I just hope he is ok.

Have you seen any work your local paint shop has done ashy?

Ashy
09-02-2011, 09:55
Its sad about dave, im sure he would have done a great job for you. I was speaking to mat and his brother is having a real bad time with dave.

I just hope he is ok.

Have you seen any work your local paint shop has done ashy?

Aye its a shame but he's left me no option, his phone has been turned off for over 6 weeks now... I even tried to get a message to him through Miller but he hasn't come back. Even if he just said, sorry i'm too busy its June before I can fit you in etc...

I haven't seen anything they've done but they have a car in at the moment for a full re-spray so I'm planning to pop down and have a look whilst its there.

Robbo
09-02-2011, 11:02
gordini blue or liquid yellow would be my choice

philr5t
09-02-2011, 11:30
Yo, I'm painting the 5 red, I want a nice bright, deep & Shiney Red... I also want to keep it a standard Renault Red if possible however this isn't essential. Its going to be clear over base.

Anyone clued up on options and paint codes etc... best thing would be links to examples if possible..?

I know its not a renault color but I was thinking of VW Tornado Red

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1227&stc=1&d=1141139966

hi mate i work at vw and was tempted with tornado red but when its dirty its a horrid red and also looks a very flat red, the 2 best reds i think are rosso corsa, paint code (DS322) or can be found as (FER322) if not my other choice was going to be the red on a ford f150 lightning truck another nice deep red but not as bright as rossa hope this help :agree:

djinuk
09-02-2011, 11:58
Theres a guy who paints pretty local to me, he does a lot of work and hes reasonabilly priced.. He paints a lot of old minis , old vw's camper vans etc.. also unlike many places he actually has a proper booth, also his turn around times are usually very good.

As of recently the bodyshop where i was working is actually moving to a much smaller unit and only doing small spray jobs (wings, etc) so therefore im left to pay a sprayer now paint mine and i will most certainly be going to this carl for a quote.

Although its a long trip for yourself if your interested im perfect happy to let you knwo what he quotes me if your intersted and can be confident in the work being good :)

rs250nut
09-02-2011, 11:59
This is BMW hell rot, sorry for the pic whoring.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii108/rs250nut/053.jpg

Ashy
09-02-2011, 13:06
also unlike many places he actually has a proper booth, also his turn around times are usually very good.

The place i'm going isn't a two bit company mate, they've been around since the 50's and the spray shop is brand new with a full booth with all the gear. He's guoted me 2 weeks for the full re-spray and he can take it in on the 21st of this month!

djinuk
09-02-2011, 13:14
sounds spot on to me then dude, experiance is always a bonus i think, mm i think there may be a lot of fresh painted 5's at nats day

Robbo
10-02-2011, 09:46
how about fire engine red?

Tony Walker
10-02-2011, 20:47
:( my son thinks my 5 is like pats van.

modfather
10-02-2011, 20:52

:laugh:

Ashy
10-02-2011, 20:53

He's not far wrong, very similar design and probably as aerodynamic!

The new Bill J
10-02-2011, 21:12
Pat 1 is quicker than any gt turbo. Trust me, I know :D

Tony Walker
10-02-2011, 21:14
I know, makes it worse he's right :(