PDA

View Full Version : towing r5 without an engine

djinuk
05-02-2011, 23:39
, ok due to recent circumstances i will be getting a friends bodyshop to paint my renault 5, what this means is that i could do with removing the engine at my house and then towing the renault 5 to his unit, in the past ive heard not to tow a car without driveshafts fitted as the bearing may collapse.. correct?

Bigfoot
05-02-2011, 23:49
Yep dont move the car without driveshafts in, mine was only pushed onto a flatbed and then around the workshop, both bearings were good before hand, and afterwards not much left of them, so had to replace them, thought the wheel was going to come off :crap:

Tony Walker
05-02-2011, 23:50
The shaft does hold the bearing together, if you can get just the cv joints off and bolt them on you'll be fine. difficult to say without experience of doing it, but i personally wouldnt try. unless your not bothered about replacing the bearings. maybe try a bolt and a washer either side just sitting on the inner race tho.

djinuk
05-02-2011, 23:54
hmm, i have an idea, i may leave drive shafts in but make a hoop with some rope to hold them up out the way, its a pretty short distance ( 1 miles or so).

car.crash
06-02-2011, 00:08
Bolt the gearbox in with the shafts.

Sparkie
06-02-2011, 10:21
me and a mate pushed a car about 3 metres without driveshafts in. - the wheel, hub and centre of the bearing fell off. - the only thing that saved it, was that the top of the arch rested on the tyre!

i think we used a long bolt with two big washers eitherside to stabilise the bearing.