PDA

View Full Version : Viewing your companies CCTV

Rob1980
03-02-2011, 14:17
Hello everyone, I have got an unusual question....

My car already has a car parking dink in the door which looks to be from another car door:mad: and the only place I have parked it so far is on my drive (Which another car cant park next too) and at work.

I have asked to look through the CCTV with someone and I have been told that I am not allowed to look as this breaches the Data protection act as I could report someone if I see them leaving early for example. The man in charge has said that he will look and get back to me. However I know he will not look as closely as I would as its not his car!

I have done a bit of research and as far as I can make out, CCTV is there to help solve crime or wrong doing and CAN NOT under any circumstance be used to spy on anyone. From that I assume this now rules out the excuse that I can report someone as this is not allowed as will be deemed spying so surely I should be allowed to look through the data?

Also as its my car, under the freedom of information act, am I allowed to request footage of me and my property or as it's on company property does this not count? For example, I know the council would have to show me everything that they have..

I really have no idea but I am really angry to have this dent in my car! Any help would be greatly appreciates guys.

IANMM
03-02-2011, 14:20
I run a cctv and intruder alarm company and if you have been recorded or your property ie car has yo can request a copy of the footage and they have to give you a copy within 28 days (if memory serves me right)

IANMM
03-02-2011, 14:21
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/SaferStreets/DG_10034524

its 40 days :)

Rob1980
03-02-2011, 14:22
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/SaferStreets/DG_10034524

its 40 days :)

And this counts for a company as well as say the council??

If so fantastic and thank you very much!! :agree:

IANMM
03-02-2011, 14:25
yup

Robbo
03-02-2011, 14:31
and in future take up 2 parking spots.

IANMM
03-02-2011, 14:35
If the company starts being funny with you you can say "If I report it to the police as criminal damage to my car they have the power of seizing the CCTV images" now if there held on a Hard Drive that means they will in theory take there CCTV system away with them and they will be left unprotected and it usually kicks them up the behind to get there ass in gear

Rob1980
03-02-2011, 14:39
If the company starts being funny with you you can say "If I report it to the police as criminal damage to my car they have the power of seizing the CCTV images" now if there held on a Hard Drive that means they will in theory take there CCTV system away with them and they will be left unprotected and it usually kicks them up the behind to get there ass in gear

Cheers for the advice, I will definately be using it :agree:

I also like the 2 parking spaces idea:D:wasntme:

IANMM
03-02-2011, 14:40
no probs mate let me know how it goes :)

Rob1980
04-02-2011, 16:55
They reckon that my car was parked in the only blind spot in the car park so it cant be seen!!:scratch: Yeah right. I have formally requested to have a copy of the tape, will have to wait and see what happens.

The cheeky git did say that he noticed me leaving at 11:47 so maybe it happened when I was away from work!! I told him that I popped home for lunch and parked on my drive where it is impossible for this to happen.:jerkoff:

IANMM
04-02-2011, 17:00
well if he noted what time you left how could your car be i a blind spot?

are they fixed cameras or PTZ ones?

Rob1980
04-02-2011, 17:42
well if he noted what time you left how could your car be i a blind spot?

are they fixed cameras or PTZ ones?

I think they are fixed, I think I was parked right under one so it may not be that visible. I'm guessing that another camera picked me up leaving. Still I should have all the answers in 40 days! :agree:

Alex
05-02-2011, 16:29
Some bugger did exactly the same to my car in work :mad: I had to formally request a "Data Protection Act" (or something like that) for a copy of the CCTV recording. I eventually got the copy but it was very poor quality. I never found out who did it :sad2:

Rob1980
07-02-2011, 13:51
They are trying to tell me know that the only images that they have to supply are only of me personally! Im sure I am reading that link right where it states " Personal data is information that relates to an individual". My car is personal data to me right?

IANMM
07-02-2011, 14:04
yep (as long as you can prove it :)

Rob1980
18-02-2011, 12:29
Here is a bit of an update, the CCTV man at work has told me that the image has now beome corrupt and that he has stopped doing it as it is taking up too much time, This has been requested by the top boss!!

He cant do that can he as I officially requested a copy and gave them 40 days...?

IANMM
18-02-2011, 16:42
no he cant did you put it in writing ...???

Rob1980
19-02-2011, 11:39
no he cant did you put it in writing ...???

Yes I oficially requested the data via email to which there has been a lot of replies. He said in his early emails that he had looked through but would not let me. now suddenly the data is corrupt!! :scratch: Obviously I believe this to be rubbish, I have his earlier emails as evidence that the data was not corrupt a few days ago.