PDA

View Full Version : big and small end bearings

mkandy
02-02-2011, 21:37
Right,

I have just finished stripping down an engine that was given with the car i brought very recently as it had very low compression on one of the cylinders. I noticed that bore 1 and 2 had a bit of a oily build up and 3 and 4 were very dry almost orange in colour, the oily residue seems pretty straight forward i suppose leaking rings possibly?

The oil pump looks pretty good the splines on the top look new so thats good, should i be checking anything else on this?

The crank looks mint also no marking or colour changes really apart from the odd heat spot ie blue'y colour. How would i know if this is a standard crank is it only measuring?

The bearings looked ok i have seen alot worse. I have tried searching the boards for some numbers that are stamped on them but only assume that these will vary depending on how renault felt with their part numbers on the day,

The stamped marks on the big end bearings are : s/c 35dstd followed by 7700566
064 066
The small ends are 7700740133 std sc 7/

I am hoping the STD means that these are standard sizes? does anyone know without measuring as i dont have any micrometers?

If anyone can suggest somewhere to get them from that are reasonable i would appreciate it also how much are they?

The Cam I had another question on, As i remember from years ago uprated cams usually has a stamp on the end with a duration this one i have just has a "U" stamped in but on the body of the cam it has 270 stamped on, the lobes on a couple of them were a bit worn like the metal is has been pushed to the sides slightly so i know i will be needing a new cam but just fancied knowing thats all,
sorry for the long post but if any questions could be answered it would help a beginner engine builder.
:)

djinuk
02-02-2011, 21:59
if it helps thats a standard cam, the 270 is just a casting mark and is on all cams, often causes confusion i think :)

mkandy
02-02-2011, 22:07
if it helps thats a standard cam, the 270 is just a casting mark and is on all cams, often causes confusion i think :)

Thanks Dude,

GTphil
02-02-2011, 23:29
The crank bearings are also standard size;)

Mr Raider
03-02-2011, 18:01
I would check clearance on oil pump internals with some feeler gauges just to be sure ;)